Spyder Garage

Default Did I install Elka's upside down?

Update: Apparently I did. Found this thread.
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...l-verification

Bummer....

I got my front Elka's last week and put them on without really looking at instructions as it seemed pretty straight forward. My 2021 RTL stock shocks were installed with the spring at the top so that is how I put on the Elka's, springs on top.

I ordered the rear shock yesterday, which shipped today btw , and was looking for videos on how to install it and came across an image of the front shocks installed on an older Spyder and the spring was on the bottom. I then watched the LaMonster video of the front shock install and sure enough, they put the spring on the bottom on that older bike.

Which is the correct way? Did I install mine upside down? I thought the front suspension was pretty much the same setup as the older models on the 2020+ models. If so then I did install them upside down.

Pretty easy to flip them if I did it wrong the first time and I have to install the rear this weekend anyway.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

My Elka shocks are installed with the springs down on my 2020 RT Limited.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

I have watched the same video and the guy from Elka stated you can install them either way but he preferred to install them with the springs down to access the adjustable damper easier.
    2016 RT-Ltd
    Bajaron swaybar
    Spyderpops trunk light
    Elka stage 2 front shocks
    Extra longbrake pedal
    brake modulator
    Centramatic wheel balancers on the front and rear.
    Rivco dual flag holder
    Tricled mirror turn signal indicators
    with American and Texas flags
    Lamonster Magic Mirrors
    missing belt guard
    Lambskin seat cover from Smokey mountain sheepskin.com
    Tricled 360 degree led Headlights
    Lamonster led fog lights
    Baker air wings
    2019 Silverado Duramax dually
    2019 Cyclone 4007 toyhauler
    Spyderpops bumpskid w led light
    Rivco brand footrest
    spydermanexhaust.com exhaust
    had my exhaust installed @ Spyder in the hills.

Spyder Garage

Though nitrogen charged shocks are bi-directional. (And conventional shocks are not)

Typically, they are mounted in the inverted position, with the body on top and the spring on the bottom. Not that it matters that much on the Spyder. But one reason is you always want to reduce the un-sprung weight for better suspension compliance. The body being heavier than the spring, this means inverted. The next reason is that because they assume you will be mounting them this way. They place the valve stem to be accessible in this position.

Never check your nitrogen charge unless you have the proper setup for it. Though you should check them every so many years. Without the correct setup, you'll just lose what you have with no way to replace it. Leaving it alone is much better than checking them if you don't know how. It is tempting because they look like a standard tire valve. Don't do it! Don't ask me how I know...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-07-2021 at 09:42 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Though nitrogen charged shocks are bi-directional. (And conventional shocks are not)

Typically, they are mounted in the inverted position, with the body on top and the spring on the bottom. Not that it matters that much on the Spyder. But one reason is you always want to reduce the un-sprung weight for better suspension compliance. The body being heavier than the spring, this means inverted. The next reason is that because they assume you will be mounting them this way. They place the valve stem to be accessible in this position.

Never check your nitrogen charge unless you have the proper setup for it. Though you should check them every so many years. Without the correct setup, you'll just lose what you have with no way to replace it. Leaving it alone is much better than checking them if you don't know how. It is tempting because they look like a standard tire valve. Don't do it! Don't ask me how I know...
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm going to flip them around this weekend when I install the rear shock.
    2021 Spyder RT-L Deep Marsalsa Metalic

Spyder Garage

If they will fit and have no interference through the entire suspension movement, I suggest installing them with bodies down shafts up. This protects the shafts from road debris.

Regarding gas pressurized shocks, in order for them to be mounted in any position or at any angle, they MUST utilize either an IFP or bladder to isolate the fluid from the nitrogen.

They do make gas shocks without an IFP or bladder system, those are emulsion type shocks where the nitrogen and fluid will mix. When I was shopping for Spyder shocks several years ago, I spoke with Elka and at that time their offerings were the lower performance emulsion shocks. Supposedly this has changed. Learning that I purchased a different brand at that time.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanDanTMM View Post
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm going to flip them around this weekend when I install the rear shock.
    I would do the same...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...