Spyder Garage

Default Looking for Riding gear suggestions

The wife and I take a number of trips each riding season. We have summer mesh jackets, with zip in thermal liners, heavy weight jackets with zip in thermal liners, rain gear. It is a lot of stuff to pack, and find a place to store it. Most of our gear is quite old. It is time to upgrade. What does every wear? Is there any gear that is cool in the summer, warm on cold days, and rain proof?

Thanks
    Brian

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

this should be interesting...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    this should be interesting...
    Oh yeah
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

OK, I'll bite. If you ride in the Northeast, you can get at least 10 months with a goretex-lined solid jacket and pants with waterproof zippered vents. The mesh gear tends to be heaver because of the extra layers needed in case of rain and if temps get 99+, mesh is a negative help (think hair dryer). Goretex is waterproof but lets sweat out. For thermal layers, I'm a big fan of Merino wool.
    If you have to carry both, get gear that lets you swap the armor between them. Also, share the thermal layers by going generic layers (wool, puffy jacket, etc.).
    Buy brand name on sale and you can find quality even if it's not the latest model.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the armor is what makes motorcycle gear so bulky. Might need to get a trailer to carry all the clothing needed. Seriously.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'm also in CT so I know the temp range is quite wide. In one day it could be in the 50's in the morning and get into the 80's in the afternoon. It takes a little trial and error to find the layers that will work for you. I have a mesh jacket that I wear for warmer temps and a Can-Am windproof/waterproof jacket for colder temps. Depending on the day I will wear various sub-layers. Lined jeans are really great too. In the winter as long as the roads are dry I wear snowmobile gear.

My Mods:
    Elka Stage 5 rear shock with spring preload adjust
    Monster Stage 2 ECU
    Pedal Commander
    RLS cat delete
    Baja Ron sway bar
    Baker Air Wings upper and lower
    Viking saddle bags
    Third pegs
    Vredestein tires front and rear
    Mad Stad windshield
    X-creen windshield deflector
    Front and rear drive cam
    Garmin Zumo XT
    Heated gear wiring
    Lamonster LED headlights
    Lamonster LED foglights
    Lamonster frame mount cupholder
    BRP heated handgrips
    Lamonster drivers backrest
    BRP passenger backrest
    Lidlock handlebar end helmet locks
    Barkbusters Storm handguards
    2020 F3S-SS , Titanium/Black

Spyder Garage

I wear thermal leggings to keep my legs warm, use a heated jacket liner and gloves for the early cold mornings. The heated liner replaces the liner in your jacket, as the temps get warmer, turn heated gear controller down/off or remove the liner/gloves. This works great for me and avoids packing extra layers. Depending on temps, I will put on my rain gear which helps block the wind since my rain gear stays in my Spyder.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Wow I'm in NY and thought I was crazy riding my Honda rebel the first week of December, do you ride your Spyder all winter if the roads are clear ?
    2015 RT Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Yes, I try to get a couple of hours on the weekend if the temps are above 35. It amazing how many looks/stares I get.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Martin the vlogger has a new item on youtube, where he's reviewing a trilobite Jacket, seems quite in the ballpark, for you
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

I have been wearing full gear on a motorcycle since I began riding again in 2000 after 20 year hiatus. I also continue to wear all of the same gear on the Spyder. Needless to say, the past 21 years has given me a pretty good feel for what works and what doesn't. For all around useful gear that will (or should) meet your needs from 45° to triple digits I would go with mesh gear that comes with both a rain liner and insulated liner. Add to that only two other items 1. a good rain suit (jacket and pants 2. an evaporative cooling vest with sleeves.

That combination works very nicely because you can layer it from just the mesh on those perfect days to everything, even the rain suit when it's not raining but still cold. The trapped air pocket between your mesh gear and the rain suit makes for a great insulation factor. The cooling vest can also do double duty because when it's cool it makes for slightly less warm insulator than a standard liner when dry. Of course that only addresses body and legs; a couple of different weights of gloves and socks will always be needed when traveling multiple days in a variety of temps and weather conditions.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Living in Arizona high country I don't have as large of temperature swing as some of you do. I wear a Sedici Marco jacket. It comes with a zip-in rain/wind proof liner. This works unless it get pretty cold. I bought it one size too big. This allows me to wear a heavy hoodie or fleece under it if it really cools down. I also carry my old leather chaps from my Harley days. This mated with 3 pairs of gloves (light, medium, and thermal) keeps me pretty comfy. I wear a Shark Evo One helmet which lets me choose between three quarter and full face if raining or real cold.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Aerostich.
    2014 RT - SE6 , Black

Spyder Garage

First Gear. Has removable liner. Zipper air vents on chest, arms, sides. Supposedly waterproof pockets and zippers. But I use a Joe Rocket for Hot summer rides here in the
    South. I don't ride in the rain...

Spyder Garage

Bsavulis, what’s your budget? You can get European gear with an integrated Goretex liner and large zipper vents to cover every kind of weather event. You just add a thermal layer underneath for cold winters…….but they will cost you $1000 or more. That means you only need to carry thermal liners in your saddlebags.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red