Spyder Garage

Default Danger! Brake failure!!

Ok, I'm not sure I really have a problem on this 2011 manual clutch machine other than the blazing orange warning. After I added brake fluid to the rear master container the brakes seemed to work fine other than having to pump them. I see no leaks. I skidded in the sand to check the ABS and it seemed to work fine.

I'm on vacation for this month in South Daytona, Florida. Anybody near here that can bleed my system while I wait? Private or professional. Willing to pay a sensible rate.

Like old cars I used to have, after an initial brake tap if you pump once you have more pedal.
    Thanks, DAZ
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

How many miles on your Spyder? I wonder if your brake pads are worn down too far.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Fluid Service

First off, when did you change your Spyder Brake Fluid. It needs to be changed every 2 years. Most people have not done this......

Even I forgot and went about 4 years.

Now I have it done every 2 years. ...
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Little over 10,000 miles. I changed the brake fluid a bit more than two years ago. The brake pads are fine but the fluid could really need a change. But I'm on vacation and that's why I asked if there is anyone in this area that could do that. I don't want to tie the bike up in a shop for my entire vacation.

How do I clear that warning?
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

So you have to pump them to get a good brake, or am I reading your post wrong? Did you maybe get some air in the system? How much fluid did you have to add?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daz View Post
    How do I clear that warning?
    Depends what the code is. Start it up, ride it if necessary until the warning goes active. Don't shut it down. Then do the 3 button press to call up the code.

If it's C0049 - you still have low brake fluid level. Check both chambers in the reservoir and also check the cap gasket. Sometimes they unfold themselves and push on the level switch. If that's the case, just push on the gasket and it will pop back into place.

If it's C1282 - that's your low pressure switch code. And since you've said you have a soft pedal and have to pump the brakes, even if you reset the code, it will probably come back the very next time you use them heavily. But, try this:

Make sure the key has been turned off for more than 30 seconds. Turn on the ignition key. Wait for the screen to finish booting up and press the Mode button as usual. Press the brake pedal hard enough to activate the low pressure switch. HARD. If you have good hearing it will be the 2nd click. While holding the brake pedal down. Turn the ignition key off and wait 30 seconds. Release the brake pedal. Then check if the code is cleared. Repeat as necessary.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Mikey: You are reading correct- one pump and the pedal is up. I don't know about the air but I didn't open any lines but that's what it feels like. Maybe I added a tablespoon of fluid to fill the reservoir to the brim.

Snowbelt: I'm not familiar with the three button press to call up a code but I will follow your directions to reset code/warning this morning. The rubber under the cap was not extended.

The front reservoir was filled to the brim. The rear is where I added just a bit. I think that's for the front of the bike.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Daz. As long as a fault is still Active, depress the Mode, Set, and Turn Signal Cancel buttons (turn signal pushed straight in) simultaneously - all at the same time. You can stop the engine, but don’t turn off the key first. The center display will switch away from the speedometer and list the fault code. Especially useful for figuring out the Check Engine Light whenever you get one. When a fault condition exists and is Active, you can pull up the code this way. Apologies. I assumed you were aware. Bottom line though, in order to permanently clear a fault, you have to repair the condition that caused it. So, a soft pedal on a Spyder is dealt with, with the same maintenance items, just like you would any other vehicle. Including, evaluating the master cylinder for failure if all of your fluid flushes and pad checks are not successful. In this case, if you have the C1282 code, if you can get it to reset, it will probably return until you fix your issue.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Well thank you very much Snowbelt! I'm your neighbor from Deerfield. I enjoyed your Geauga fair. I'll report back when I know something.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

If you are getting low fluid warning, not low pressure, you can unplug the brake fluid low switch. This can only be done on model years 2007 to 2012. When they went to Brembo brakes the circuit is supervised. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

here is a post about local repair shops near Daytona. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...service-center The only one there I know is Seminole Powersport in Sanford https://www.seminolepowersports.com/ Some time if you tell them your just there on vacation b passing through they will look at your Bike for your right away. The other shops in the area there are very close to Daytona also and many be good also. There is a Can am dealer in Daytona that I hear is not so good so look around if you need to and I'm sure some of the local members here will chime in.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Safecracker- It's not the fluid low. It's c1282. Low pressure switch .

Copper: I actually already have a 9am appointment Friday to put it on the computer. At the dealer in Daytona.

After that I may know what is wrong with it. And may be able to make some decisions. Problem is the bike lives in a storage shed here and I live in Ohio. I'm glad I don't live in a storage shed here!! At any rate I will keep you informed. Thank you all.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Safecracker- It's not the fluid low. It's c1282. Low pressure switch .

Copper: I actually already have a 9am appointment Friday to put it on the computer. At the dealer in Daytona.

After that I may know what is wrong with it. And may be able to make some decisions. Problem is the bike lives in a storage shed here and I live in Ohio. I'm glad I don't live in a storage shed here!! At any rate I will keep you informed. Thank you all.
    I know what you are talking about, I have a winter home in that area and I leave some stuff in the garage but the heat and humidity beats the crap out of it. I would not leave my Spyder there, I trailer it. Good luck with the brakes, it may just need to have the fluid changed.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Report back: Went to Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, Florida. They had a nice 2018 RT Limited. So I up-graded. They took my bike on trade. It's a new platform for me. Hey, it's not as hot! Nice engine. I'm happy with the turn of events.
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the upgrade...
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Report back: Went to Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, Florida. They had a nice 2018 RT Limited. So I up-graded. They took my bike on trade. It's a new platform for me. Hey, it's not as hot! Nice engine. I'm happy with the turn of events.
    Hahaha, well that's one way for correct a problem. I upgraded from my Ryker to a 2018 RT Limited as well, so I know how you're feeling. Good luck and happy rides
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited