Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Fine tuning
    Yeah, but what key? G? E flat? I'll get it sorted.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-09-2021 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Take your pick!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Fine tuning
    Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoking1127 View Post
    Take your pick!
    Oh come on!! You can't fool me, there's no picks there!! Those things is forks!

Sorry but I just hadta! She >> made me do it!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Peter, you beat me to it! But our ride is made by CanAm, not Yamaha, so there are no forks.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

"A pun does not commonly justify a blow in return. But if a blow were given for such cause, and death ensued, the jury would be judges both of the facts and of the pun, and might, if the latter were of an aggravated character, return a verdict of justifiable homicide.” — Oliver Wendell Holmes

Spyder Garage

I reworked this setup recently. Vibrations are mostly gone. The vibrations that remain aren't sufficient to either irritate or make seeing detail on the GPS difficult.

I picked up a RAM mount, RAM-B-367U, which is designed to attach the ball to a handlebar, replacing the clamp bolts with the bolts RAM provides.

I also picked up a LONG bolt, 10mm, if memory serves. My memory is a part time worker who, when it does show up for work, is quite lazy. That's to say "Don't trust me on the 10mm." I believe it was 3 inches, maybe a bit more. I also found in my washer collection a washer with a hole the size of the bolt diameter and the outside diameter of the washer sufficient to fit into the top of the RAM mount.

The next thing I did was rough up the aluminum collar on the RAM mount. I used a file. You may use whatever you want to get away from smooth. When satisfied, clean what you just roughened. I used acetone. Alcohol of the rubbing variety would probably do well too. Then I mixed up some JB weld, not much. Applied a thin layer to that alu collar, trying to taper it a bit, wider at the top of the collar tapering to nothing at the bottom of collar. Let me emphasize: it don't take much! Let dry 24 hours.

Remove the existing screw and rubber expansion nut.

Tried fitting the alu mount in the hole. Too big. I dremeled the JB Weld, slowly and very gradually, testing frequently for fit. I wanted it to fig snugly, with as much of aluminum shaft in the hole as possible. BUT: keep in mind that too much in the hole means the ball might be too close to the dash to be able to fit the RAM arm.

Look at things for a few minutes. You'll see what's right. "Right" equals what will work best for you.

Eventually I got it sanded to the right fit. Then:

Thread the 10mm bolt down through the washer in the RAM mount and into the expansion nut. Insert into dash hole.

Tighten. I tightened with care, lest I crack the dash hole. Got it quite tight without cracking. "Quite tight" equals a fit that left the GPS jiggling a bit but not excessively nor such that seeing and following the GPS was difficult. Is it rock solid? No. But it's where I can easily see it and it's "small rock" solid, with thanks to Monty Python.

The new mount works a treat. I have a locking RAM bolt holding the arm tight and not easily removed. (The arm is RAM-B-201U-A, which I had in my RAM collection already. You could try a longer arm, but I'd wager vibrations will increase with length)

I've lost bike stuff to thieves in the past. So I remove the Garmin when I leave the bike unattended. There are lockable mounts. Not worth the expense or hassle for me to go that route. I DO have a small, very small, keyed padlock that I can fasten around the Garmin's mount-eject-button which keeps the button from being depressed and the GPS mostly safe. Of course, if someone wants it badly enough, they'll just break the mount to score the GPS.

I'm sure there are ways to improve what I've done. This works well for what I need. Improve away to your heart's content.
    Last edited by Columbia; 06-01-2023 at 04:50 AM.