Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS mount: Anyone see a problem??

Hullo
    I find I don't like looking down to see the Zumo mounted on the handlebar. Looking at the 2015 ST's dashboard I noticed four bolts: two left, two right.
    I pulled the top left bolt and the hardware store sold me a longer one with a nut and lock washer.
    I mounted a holder for a RAM ball (Using the nut and washer to keep it at the top of the bolt and away from the dashboard plastic) and put an extension on the ball. I've ordered an AMPS compatible RAM ball and a new cradle for the Zumo.

Here's the question:

Is the bolt I'm using for the RAM holder sufficient to carry the weight of the holder, ball, arm, another ball/mount and the cradle+Zumo? It seems to me the stress is mainly to the side at the top. The bolt is fully seated and snug.

See photos.

Your wisdom/thoughts? (I had hopes of rigging up something like Lamonster sells for the RT, the bar for RAM ball mounting. Nothing for an ST: there are no places to mount it. Thought of using the bolt I used above, plus its twin on the right, and fabbing a bar to attach to both bolts, arcing the bar above the top of the dash with one RAM attached. Not sure I have the skill so to do and the question remains: are those bolts adequate?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that's brilliant. That screw isn't really taking the weight from what I can tell from your photos. I think you'll be fine. Might want to use some loctite on the threads.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks, UtahPete. Parts are trickling in so it'll be a week or so to complete and yes: final assembly will get a little blue loctite.
    (By the way. "Brown water Navy" was a new term to me, so I did some investigating. Quite a story!)
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Thanks, UtahPete. Parts are trickling in so it'll be a week or so to complete and yes: final assembly will get a little blue loctite.
    (By the way. "Brown water Navy" was a new term to me, so I did some investigating. Quite a story!)
    You might want to put a spacer between the outer surface of the dashboard and the inner surface of your custom bracket, if the screw hole is recessed like on my RT.

Re: Brown water Navy; we had some really interesting and innovative fighting boats in VN. In addition to the PBRs, there were various iterations of the old landing craft (LCMs) including the 'zippo' and the 'douche' boats. Crazy.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I thought of adding a spacer but the nut+lock nut keep the bracket at the top of the bolt and off the plastic. The photos don't show that. I went with the nut because it was simple. Do you think a spacer would do a better job?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought of adding a spacer but the nut+lock nut keep the bracket at the top of the bolt and off the plastic. The photos don't show that. I went with the nut because it was simple. Do you think a spacer would do a better job?
    I think it would provide a little more stability if the forces on the screw head were distributed over a larger area. Stacked washers should accomplish the same thing as long as they were the same hole diameter as the screw threads.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

The project continues- - -

The screw I'm using is held by a rubber plug with a threaded brass fitting which, I believe, expands as the bolt is tightened. I guess that might distribute some stress to the surrounding plastic?

The cradle I ordered on eBay was advertised as the correct one for my Zumo. Of course it isn't. So hassles there to resolve.

Meanwhile a Question For the Group:

You can see from the photos where the GPS will be mounted. What are your suggestions on routing a power cable from the GPS into the Spyder's body where it will run to a fused connection box?

Drop it into one of the vent holes left and right? Use a bulkhead fastener (the male end is attached to, say a body panel and runs to the power source. The female end goes to the GPS. They fit together and a collar holds them in place. See an example below.

I don't want wires running every which way. I would rather not drill holes in my Spyder. The wire will carry power only; I'll not be using all the other gizmos that come with the OEM cradle. So the wires need not be too large.

So look at your dash; imagine there's a GPS at the upper left corner; now imagine how a wire should run and where it should run in order to eventually wind up connecting to a fused distribution box near the frunk.

Thanks, all, for imagining with me!

Spyder Garage

Maybe some space by the safety card pull out how much would have disassemble or if connector would even fit through. Still get some wind turbulence around dash (will see if caught in rain) so any loose wires will flutter, possibly rub panels or least strain solder connections.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's room around the collar on the steering post.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Ah hah! I ignore the "safety card," never ever pulled it out except when the previous owner pointed it out, so thanks for that idea.
    There IS space around the steering column; the original Zumo wire is right there. I had planned to leave the original cradle in place, but I'm debating that plan. May even pull the wiring up to see if there's sufficient length to attach to the cradle mount's new location.
    Both of you provide good food for thought and I'll play around with both ideas. Thank you!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ah hah! I ignore the "safety card," never ever pulled it out except when the previous owner pointed it out, so thanks for that idea.
    There IS space around the steering column; the original Zumo wire is right there. I had planned to leave the original cradle in place, but I'm debating that plan. May even pull the wiring up to see if there's sufficient length to attach to the cradle mount's new location.
    Both of you provide good food for thought and I'll play around with both ideas. Thank you!
    Let us know if you're able to create enough slack in the GPS cable; I'd like to do the same.

I use the card to store all my "handy" info.
    20211010_141713.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You can see from the photos where the GPS will be mounted. What are your suggestions on routing a power cable from the GPS into the Spyder's body where it will run to a fused connection box?
    Cut a notch in the edge of the radio speaker grill near the mount location. It'll be hardly noticeable. That's what I did on my RT.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

I've been eyeing the speaker grille. I have yet to even turn on the radio to see if it works and I know I'll never ride with radio blaring. Mounting a small plug/screw-through-bulkhead-gizzie along the lines of the one above (the ones I have in-hand are much smaller) would do the trick and when unplugged would appear to be small black knob or button or attachment plug. It would allow a shorter wire and would avoid dealing with friction and tension from handlebar rotation.

Hmmm. I may have just convinced myself.

The cradle arrives today (one supplier sent the wrong cradle, so I've been given another opportunity to become more virtuous by being patient.) and I'll need to do some surgery on it before mounting. Another day or two and it should be in place.

Thanks for the speaker nudge.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was just about to ask how this is going.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Default Finished!

Well, it's done and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Rewiring the cradle was tedious but not difficult. YouTube and ADVrider have good guides.

Deciding where to put a hole in the speaker grille took a bit of time, but I'm pleased with its location.

Removing the cradle means removing the speaker grille—a simple matter—and unplugging the power cord from the two wires in the speaker cavity then threading the power cord out. I don't intend to do that very often, if at all. I'd have to remove the rubber grommet as well to pull the wire's connectors through. The grommet is not really needed and contributes only cosmetically. There's plenty of power cord in the speaker cavity to move the GPS—but I can't think of why I would.

Thanks, all, for your ideas and suggestions: much appreciated.

One of these days I'll dive underneath and remove the stock Zumo cradle mounted to the handlebars. Anyone know what tool is used to loosen those bolts? It looks like a hex head, but then again it doesn't. Can't decipher that one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, it's done and I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Rewiring the cradle was tedious but not difficult. YouTube and ADVrider have good guides.

Deciding where to put a hole in the speaker grille took a bit of time, but I'm pleased with its location.

Removing the cradle means removing the speaker grille—a simple matter—and unplugging the power cord from the two wires in the speaker cavity then threading the power cord out. I don't intend to do that very often, if at all. I'd have to remove the rubber grommet as well to pull the wire's connectors through. The grommet is not really needed and contributes only cosmetically. There's plenty of power cord in the speaker cavity to move the GPS—but I can't think of why I would.

Thanks, all, for your ideas and suggestions: much appreciated.

One of these days I'll dive underneath and remove the stock Zumo cradle mounted to the handlebars. Anyone know what tool is used to loosen those bolts? It looks like a hex head, but then again it doesn't. Can't decipher that one.
    I'm not sure I understand how you wired up the new cradle; did you reroute the OEM cable, or just hook it up to 12vdc?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

UtahPete—

I did some surgery on the cradle with this video as a guide: https://youtu.be/GLp3jiBS_mg

I only had to worry about two wires: 12v positive and negative. I ended up cutting the Garmin wire 16 or so inches from the cradle end, after removing it from the cradle. I pulled out all the other wires, leaving only the power leads in the black insulating cover. Since I bought a second cradle, I didn't mind butchering it. The tangle of wires that come with the cradle are now orphaned, out of the cradle, so to speak, and will be recycled for wiring other projects.

The original cradle and wiring is intact and in place; as I mentioned, I plan to remove it one day and throw it in a box on the off chance I want to restore the bike or sell the bike.

So I modified the cable AND rerouted it in order to hook it up to 12v, 12v and nothing else.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Columbia, was there enough slack in the OEM cable that it could have been rerouted in its entirety to the new GPS position? That's what I'd like to do.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

That I can't say. The cable is quite long. QUITE long. I haven't tried to pull it up from the steering shaft, but I suspect that if you were to unplug the OEM cable from its many attachment points in the mess o' wires under the dash, you could easily route the whole wire loom from the GPS cradle to another location.
    Bear in mind that the hole near the steering shaft is large enough to allow all the varied wire ends to fit through. (phono and USB to name a couple). So any rerouting will require a similarly large orifice for all the wires to fit through.
    I don't want or need the GPS to connect via wire to a phone or the bike's radio or provide USB power to an accessory, so clipping all the extra wires, leaving only power leads, simplified things and suited my needs simultaneously.

Spyder Garage

Upon further reflection. You could remove the cable/wires from the cradle as per the youtube video I cited above and wire the GPS from below, i.e. from under the tupperware, going up to the GPS cradle. After plugging everything in down below, you could plug in the two wire looms in the Cradle, reassemble the cradle, and get by with a much smaller hole.
    Upon further reflection, I think that's what I should have done.
    1. Remove cradle and disassemble as per the video
    2. Push(Carefully!) wiring down under the dash through the hole it came up through
    3. Route the wire to where you want it to end up, e.g. in my case, in the speaker area (probably need a stiff wire and tape to help feed the GPS wiring and remember to protect the two plugs which you detached from the cradle)
    4. Drill a hole in the grille, feed the wire upward
    5. Reassemble the cradle and mount in its new location.

Totally confusing? No? Let me try it again! Maybe you could PM me and can exchange phone numbers and talk it through??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Upon further reflection. You could remove the cable/wires from the cradle as per the youtube video I cited above and wire the GPS from below, i.e. from under the tupperware, going up to the GPS cradle. After plugging everything in down below, you could plug in the two wire looms in the Cradle, reassemble the cradle, and get by with a much smaller hole.
    Upon further reflection, I think that's what I should have done.
    1. Remove cradle and disassemble as per the video
    2. Push(Carefully!) wiring down under the dash through the hole it came up through
    3. Route the wire to where you want it to end up, e.g. in my case, in the speaker area (probably need a stiff wire and tape to help feed the GPS wiring and remember to protect the two plugs which you detached from the cradle)
    4. Drill a hole in the grille, feed the wire upward
    5. Reassemble the cradle and mount in its new location.

Totally confusing? No? Let me try it again! Maybe you could PM me and can exchange phone numbers and talk it through??
    I think you explained it well, actually. Thanks a lot!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Well, I've hit a snag with the GPS mounted as shown a few messages back: vibration. The mount attaches to the bike through an expansion nut, AKA a "well nut. (No unhealthy nuts allowed. Gotta be well.) Too flexible for the mount; the rubber allows too much wiggle.
    I'm now looking for an expansion nut of some sort that isn't mostly rubber.
    Ah well, these are the things that challenge creativity and allow for the formation of such virtues as patience and perseverance.

Spyder Garage

Well, I've hit a snag with the GPS mounted as shown a few messages back: vibration. The mount attaches to the bike through an expansion nut, AKA a "well nut. (No unhealthy nuts allowed. Gotta be well.) Too flexible for the mount; the rubber allows too much wiggle.
    I'm now looking for an expansion nut of some sort that isn't mostly rubber.
    Ah well, these are the things that challenge creativity and allow for the formation of such virtues as patience and perseverance.

Well I read each post waiting to make mine asking it vibration was going to be an issue? Guess I was right from the get go. You could create a couple secondary supports for the upper RAM Ball.
    2018 RT Limited - Asphalt Metallic - East Valley of Phoenix/ 2018 RT Limited Chrome
    Champagne Metallic Lake Stevens, Wa

(Champagne/Hooker)Magic Mirrors, 360 LED head lights, BajaRon sway bar, H&R springs and shock adjusters, dash cam, foam grips, third brake light 4 LED strobe for 7 seconds and then on steady, rear LED turn signals/8 ohm 50W resistors, sequential turn signals on front fenders, Federal Formosa's front and General out back, and driver backrest.

Things that move between machines: Ikea sheep skins, Zuno XT GPS, and extra tools. Hooker is going to be my summer up North and Hookie my winter trike down South.

(Asphalt/Hookie) Elka shocks on front - BajaRon sway bar, OEM drivers backrest, LED headlights, dual USB with volt meter, dash cam, foam grips - magic mirrors - front tires Vredestein Quatrac SL on PPA ORB Chrome wheels.

Spyder Garage

Fine tuning

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock