Spyder Garage

Default What sort of Fuel range on a tank; and does sport mode change mapping?

Just wondering what the range on a tank?
    I know it depends on speed and riding style, but just riding around between 40mph and 60 mph.
    Also in Sport mode, does it change the engine mapping?

Spyder Garage

Your profile does not say what size Ryker you have. ???

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Well......."Sport Mode" means it's not a Ryker 600..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Just wondering what the range on a tank?
    I know it depends on speed and riding style, but just riding around between 40mph and 60 mph.
    Also in Sport mode, does it change the engine mapping?
    Can't help with 'range on a tank' of gas thing, cos that's sorta like asking 'How long is a piece of string' & likely to be somewhat different for each different ryder; but the short answer to the Sport mode question is NO, but it does change/relax the level of restriction on wheel-spin allowed by the traction control system & it might even work as an oppostite to ECO mode & change/increase the sensitivity to throttle input, sorta like a limited Pedal Commander... but I'm not positive on that - it's just my forgettory working over-time on that bit.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Well......."Sport Mode" means it's not a Ryker 600..
    Thank you so much.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post

Your profile does not say what size Ryker you have. ???
    Sorry, but I don't have one yet.
    Just stopped riding bikes a month ago and have to sell that first.
    Hoping to get a Sport Classic in the spring. Trying to get into a training course to see if my bad arm can handle it first.

Spyder Garage

Hoping to get a Sport Classic in the spring. Trying to get into a training course to see if my bad arm can handle it first.
    Good reason.

I was hoping that by now, some with experience would post their mileage with the Ryker 900 S. I have not owned one, so my info is not good.

Mileage of course will vary. But, you can at least get an average mpg for information.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 rally and get ~31-32mpg. Mostly city and limited highway driving. Not too heavy on the throttle, but I am a big guy: 6' 4" and sinker 300 lbs. So ymmv. Literally. Feels like sport mode remaps the throttle more aggressively, but don't really know the technical aspects.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob2 View Post
    I have a 2020 rally and get ~31-32mpg. Mostly city and limited highway driving. Not too heavy on the throttle, but I am a big guy: 6' 4" and sinker 300 lbs. So ymmv. Literally. Feels like sport mode remaps the throttle more aggressively, but don't really know the technical aspects.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Fuel Economy is dependent on a ton of factors, the two major of which you've already noted as speed and driving style (throttle usage).

The two major factors which are out of the rider's control are Wind Resistance and Rolling Resistance;

<Engineer hat on>

Wind Resistance = aerodynamics, so a taller rider with a large torso will act like an air-brake, and thus get lower FE. Ways to improve aero are fairings, windshields, and even riding position (stay in a tuck at higher speeds).

Rolling Resistance = the natural tendency for any spinning component to keep moving or come to rest. This will be things like your engine and transmission components/ bearing efficiency, as well as brake drag. But the number one contributor to Rolling Resistance is your tires. More psi of air make the tire stiffer, and thus lowers its rolling resistnce. Make sure you keep them at manufacturers recommend psi at minimum. If you want to eke out a couple more mpg, add 3~5psi. It'll stiffen your ride, but it will make the tire sap away less energy during cruising.

<Engineer hat off>

Obviously, your range will increase the better your Fuel Economy is given the same standard Ryker tank size. Other way you could improve range is strap on a jerry can or two!

Later,
    EV

Spyder Garage

My current average is 35.3 mpg, in normal mode.

With regards to fill-ups, when the left side bar gauge starts dropping then I pay closer attention and refuel at 70+/- miles remaining.
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

2021 Ryker 600...34-36 mpg...
    54 Snowmobiles...7 Dirtbikes...4 Atv's...8 Streetbikes...1 Tricycle...Since 1969...

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The training course is the best way to try out different models, you may find the F3 Spyder model is better for you because of the power steering. Good luck with your Ryker / Spyder research.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I have put about 35,000 miles on my 2019 Rally and driving on backroads at 50 to 60 miles an hour, I can certainly get 180 miles out of a tank. On one occasion, I got slightly over 200 miles out of a tank. The autonomy function of the gauge is quite accurate letting you know how many miles you have left in the tank. I have often run the autonomy down to roughly 20 miles when it disappears from the screen. I like living on the edge!

Spyder Garage

I've been getting about 28-30 using super. I'm hard on the throttle. I'm hard on the brakes. I like to go up and down the curvy roads on the mountains. after three up and down I have to stop, my ears don't like all the equalization of pressure. Getting old.

Spyder Garage

"When the SPORT mode is activated,
    the VSS will allow significantly more
    rear wheel spinning and higher vehicle
    slip angle, thus requiring countersteering.
    Moreover, when this mode is activated,
    traction control is reduced,
    meaning that rear wheel skidding is
    less supported even on lower friction
    surfaces. This mode is most effective
    on dry orwet asphalt. When thismode
    is activated, the driver should be even
    more careful than when normally driving
    the vehicle.
    This mode can only be activated when
    the driver is alone on the vehicle (no
    passenger) and if no VSS fault is active."

No mention of any other change, so I'd say no to any engine or throttle remapping.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    The training course is the best way to try out different models, you may find the F3 Spyder model is better for you because of the power steering. Good luck with your Ryker / Spyder research.
    Couldn't get into a course this year, have to wait till spring

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the input, helped a lot.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-07-2021 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Fixed emoji

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    The autonomy function of the gauge is quite accurate letting you know how many miles you have left in the tank. I have often run the autonomy down to roughly 20 miles when it disappears from the screen. I like living on the edge!
    This happened to me today, Never rode this low before. When the autonomy mileage disappeared I almost S*&t my pants ! Made it to a station, will NEVER
    push it that far again.

Spyder Garage

I'm getting 30-32 mpg and about 100-120 miles on a tank before I stop and refill.

One thing I noticed is that when you drop to like 20-25 miles left on the tank the display will go blank which isn't fun.

Spyder Garage

Ignore this. Just realized this was in the Ryker forum..

Just finished a 4 day ~1200 mile trip. 25% was 80+ mph freeway, 25% was 70 mph highway, and the remaining 50% was twisties and sweepers running 4,000-5,000 rpm in lower gears. I averaged 38.4mpg on the trip.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lokiryker View Post
    One thing I noticed is that when you drop to like 20-25 miles left on the tank the display will go blank which isn't fun.
    As someone who used to calibrate these displays for new cars, that is 100% intentional.

There will always be a bit of variation in the amount of reserve left in the tank due to temparature/vapor pressure/etc.
    At a certain point, we want the driver/rider to say to themselves, "oh crap......I need to stop for gas.....NOW!!!"

Later,
    EV