Spyder Garage

Default which model Spyder is the most comfortable for long rides

I have a 2015 STS and find that after about an hour or so my lower back starts to bother me. Is there a particular model that is the most comfortable for long trips?

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTL and ride for hours. Have an Ultimate tall boy seat with backrest, tri-axis handlebars, and highway pegs.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That will depend on the person most will say the RT but for some it's the F3. The only way to know for sure is to sit on each one to see what model Spyder feels better for your riding style. I like the RT with feet below the F3 has a more feet forward lower feel.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I tested the 2020 RT and F3 models and chose the RT for the clear difference in 'Creature Comforts' over the F3. The RT is heavier and slightly slower than the F3 but I found the seating and full-length floorboards a better choice with the RT. I'm 75 and a coach potato when not tearing up the roads. Coming from sport tourers, I didn't like the F3 feet-forward positioning and lower seat height. The RT floorboards let me move my feet forward or under me (very useful on long runs).
    Long Trips: I rode my RT from NJ to Yellowstone this June for 6100 miles, 13 days. We zig-zagged out and back hitting feature roads along the way. Did 555, rode over the UP and all the stuff in SD/ Black Hills, Bear Tooth, Badlands, Devils Tower, Old Faithful, Million $ Hwy, and more. Averaged 400 mi/day using least time on the slab. Temps from 50 in the mountains and 102 n the plains. The RT never waivered and I was never sore or 'spent' every night (I use a WildAss air cushion and sometimes a backrest). 2 days of rain and the cockpit stays relatively dry - at speed.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Not being snarky - it's the one that'll fits you best. For me, it's the F3L. But one size does not fit all. The way I have turned my bikes into all day tourers is by taking the wife, the bike and me to an experienced saddle customizer. That way, we get the seat fitted to our seats and posture corrected. I bought an Ultimate saddle thinking it was the end all do all seat due to all the raves it gets on this forum. It was a OK fit, but not a good fit, so off to the customizer we went. I got moved back a bit and had a wider "touring" shape added to my part. The passenger seat was widened 5" and flattened to remove the annoying crown. Oh....and had heat added to both seats. Nice.

Yellow foam = original Ultimate. Blue foam = new shape.
    DSCN2840.jpg.

Now the seats are much more comfy. Note the switches for the heat - high and low.
    DSCN2852.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

IMO, RICZ is right in the bulls-eye. My set up is exactly like LongIsland's except that I have the BRP Comfort Seat with BRP backrest and no highway pegs. I prefer to grip the seat with my knees and don't like them splayed out with highway pegs.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    I have a 2014 RTL and ride for hours. Have an Ultimate tall boy seat with backrest, tri-axis handlebars, and highway pegs.
    I agree with LongIsland, I have a 2014 RT Limited also and can ride all day if needed. I also sprung the cash for the Ultimated seat w/backrest. NO MORE back or hip pain on very long rides. RTL all the way.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

I couldn't agree more, that's why I modified the saddles on our KLR's back in the day. Mine had a Corbin on it when I bought it, was horrible! Fortunately, I had access to a pressure mapping system and created the base while my wife is quiet the seamstress and manufactured a waterproof 4 way stretch cover. So far the RT seat are pretty comfy, with the addition of an airhawk for long rides.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    IMO, RICZ is right in the bulls-eye. My set up is exactly like LongIsland's except that I have the BRP Comfort Seat with BRP backrest and no highway pegs. I prefer to grip the seat with my knees and don't like them splayed out with highway pegs.
    ,also ..... I am very fortunate, my Butt must have " secretly " been used for All Spyder seat molds. .... I have never had any issues with any of them ( three so far ) ...... jmho .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ,also ..... I am very fortunate, my Butt must have " secretly " been used for All Spyder seat molds. .... I have never had any issues with any of them ( three so far ) ...... jmho .... Mike
    Same here, RT and stock seats.

Spyder Garage

A hard question to answer because of "everything."

It's like which seat is best? Depends on many factors.

I have driven every model of the Spyder line except for Rykers.

No model was ever comfortable for me for a whole days ride. 500 plus miles. I have to get off now every 100 miles or so just to stretch those weary bones out.

I have found a pretty good description for the models I have ridden.

GS/RS: Ride and performance similar to "crotch rockets."

RT: Rides like a Gold Wing. You sit up high and plush.

F3: Rides like a sophisticated cruiser. You sit IN it and not ON it. You are more a part of the feel of the road.

In all cases, I upgraded the OEM seat. One exception--the 2020 F3L. Linda likes it as is. I have had Corbin for two, BRP Comfort for two, and Cannonball for my 2019 F3L. They were/are not perfect, but, they allow more than the 50 miles the OEM "mush seats" provide.

Many play around with other things to improve the ride. That's the nice thing about personalization. You can make it what you want. Not cheap, but fun to do.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red