Spyder Garage

Question 2010 RT Air bag leaking - how do I get at it??

Can anyone help me out ? 2010 Spyder RT A&C . My air bladder is leaking down rather fast . What panels do I need to remove to access the air bag and air line to check for leaks ?
    Thanks , Stan
    I do not have on-board compressor

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Instead of trying to make sense of written instructions/comments here you would be far better off to purchase a service manual. They can be had for about $25 from www.canammanuals.com.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Instead of trying to make sense of written instructions/comments here you would be far better off to purchase a service manual. They can be had for about $25 from www.canammanuals.com.
    I have one .
    I don't see where it illustrates what panels to take off to access air bag and air line . Since owning my Spyder I have taken most all the panels off ,both sides for spark plugs and plug wires and trunk area to replace rear speakers ,install a dual usb plug in switch area and install driving lights on front a-arms .
    I thought maybe someone had to check their air bag and would know what needed to be removed so I didn't have to just start tearing panels off .
    Thanks

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stant52 View Post
    I have one .
    I don't see where it illustrates what panels to take off to access air bag and air line . Since owning my Spyder I have taken most all the panels off ,both sides for spark plugs and plug wires and trunk area to replace rear speakers ,install a dual usb plug in switch area and install driving lights on front a-arms .
    I thought maybe someone had to check their air bag and would know what needed to be removed so I didn't have to just start tearing panels off .
    Thanks
    It's also possible it isn't the BAG that's leaking .... My new 14RT had a loose hose connection from when it was new ...... I think if you start at the Schrader valve and work your way down ... you will only remove what's necessary to do what you need to do .....JM<HO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have one .
    Thanks
    Most of the instructions don't illustrate what panels you need to take off to do anything. The narrative will usually just say remove xxxx panel (See Body Section). In other words look for the list of panels to be removed and then go to the body section where the instructions are on how to remove them. For the air bag it says remove the rear side panel but when you go to the body section it'll tell to remove the middle side panel, the upper side panel, and the rear side panel.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Make sure the schrader valve is not leaking first and easiest...The best way to get at the air bag and all the connections is to remove the rear section of the machine...NOT hard and several video's on u-tube...If your air bag has small stone damage and leaking around the bottom be sure to put a "Fernco" cup on the new bag...There are several posts on SL about this also...Also replace all the quick lock air fittings with compression type and your problems should be solved...I don't think your machine has a check valve since you "don't" have a compressor to start with...I searched long and hard for aftermarket air bags and had NO luck for a exact fit...The BRP bag is a exclusive item...

Looks like you may be close to me??? I live in South Central PA at Raystown Lake...If you'd like to talk directly to me send me a PM and I'll send you my number...GOOD LUCK...larryd

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys , Guess it's time to start dis-assembling again Time to do another oil change and tranny filter change . Get ready to start riding again.

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys , Guess it's time to start dis-assembling again Time to do another oil change and tranny filter change . Get ready to start riding again.
    Considering the fact your RT is 11+ years old you very well may have a leak in the bottom of the air bag from gravel particles wearing on the bottom. If so, go to my discussion about adding a rock guard to it after you replace it. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...yde-Rock-Guard. There are two links in the first post. You need to review both of them. One is Doc Humphrey's instructions for installing the rock guard. I just checked and it is still good. The YouTube link in the instructions is no good. The other is my discussion about installing the rock guard and a couple of pointers to make it easier to do than the way Doc instructs.

2014 Copper RTS