Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What 2020+ RT Limited seat options are there?

I am pretty close to doing a deal to get my first Spyder which will be a 2020 RT Limited. I have not had much success with the stock seats on all the 2 wheeled bikes I have owned. This has become more of an issue with age and I find I need to upgrade the stock seat and get a backrest to enjoy longer rides.

I have been doing some research on options for the Spyder. From what I can tell there only choices are the BRP OEM comfort seat and backrest or the Ultimate seat and backrest. It seems that both Corbin and Mustang did seats for the pre 2020 bikes but I don't see any reference to newer ones.

Are there any other options out there?

For those who have the comfort seat or Ultimate - how do they like them

Thanks for any help or advice.

Spyder Garage

Utopia makes a great back rest for the Spyders.

Also Ultimate Seats look nice but I have never owned one. (This is not the BRP seat, google them.)
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info on the Utopia backrest

I have had a couple of Ultimate seats and found them pretty good

Spyder Garage

+1 on the Utopia - I have one on my 2021 RTL. Let me suggest you go set on several seats at a dealership. The S2S has the same seat (just different stitching) as the RTL Heated Comfort Seat. But I'm not much reference. 123537 miles on the stock '06 GoldWing seat (with Utopia back rest).
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Swapped out the base seat on my 2013 RT-S for an Ultimate and never regretted that purchase!
    2023 900 Sport , Nitro Blue

Spyder Garage

Yep……Ultimate is your only option at the moment. It’s the BRP hinged seat that creates issues, which is why Ultimate have gone with a one piece seat with a fuel door. Corbin do not know if they will ever produce a seat for the ‘20/21 RT, Russell Daylong can raise the current seat by a couple of inches, but can’t move you back, and you can’t use the BRP backrest, and Laam won’t return any email queries on what they can do with the ‘21 seat.

I have found the stock ‘21RT seat the best seat I have had on any bike so far, so hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised. Try an Airhawk before you outlay for an Ultimate seat…….works OK for me, but we are all different body shapes.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks I hadn’t thought about. the hinged front seat causing issues for the aftermarket suppliers. The Ultimate fuel door doesn’t look great in their website pics but may look better in the flesh.

Spyder Garage

Lamm does do 2020/2021 seats, but maybe very busy and that's why you haven't heard from him.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Lamm does do 2020/2021 seats, but maybe very busy and that's why you haven't heard from him.
    Yeah, he has an image of one on his site, but he says nothing about the changes (if any) that he has made to it, PW, which he has done with other photos. I’m wondering if he only added “wings”.
    Busy? Perhaps, but I have sent 3 queries over 3 months and all have been ignored. If you are going to include a “contact us” option on your website, you can’t simply then ignore it completely, regardless of how busy you are

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I swapped out the stock seat for the Can Am Heated Comfort Seat. I'm very satisfied with it after having traded in my 2015 RTL with a Ultimate seat for my 2020 RTL.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

We have a Laam on Ann’s 20 RT. I’ll text him and see what is going on. Best saddle ever! I need a new one on a new bike.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    We have a Laam on Ann’s 20 RT. I’ll text him and see what is going on. Best saddle ever! I need a new one on a new bike.
    Ahhhhhh. Thanks Joe….Is that a photo of Ann’s Spyder on his site? Good looking seat

I have nearly resigned myself to having to keep the stock seat with an Airhawk and Sheepskin to give me a little height and comfort, as no-one seems interested in doing the new RT. I know the Ultimate is around, and I probably would have tried it, but since it is the same height and length as stock it gives me no benefit over stock. Even if Laam is prepared to modify the stock seat, I’ll still have to consider it carefully. $300us for a used seat to ship to Laam, $800us or so for the mods, $300us for shipping = $1500us or around $2000aud…..big investment each time I buy a new bike

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

The Utopia backrest is on my Christmas list. I hate the one I bought from Slingmods. It's way too small and not comfortable.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Texted Seth Laam. He had to evacuate twice for the fires! Right now, his website is down. Be patient: well worth the wait!!!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Texted Seth Laam. He had to evacuate twice for the fires! Right now, his website is down. Be patient: well worth the wait!!!
    Well, as you recommended, I have waited patiently for over two months for Seth Laam to reply to any one of my 3 requests through his “contact us” page, Joe. He can’t still be “having issues” that prevent him from at least replying that he is flat out and will get back to me. His finished product may be good, but if you can’t order it, that is irrelevant. Russell Daylong are now doing ‘20+ RT seats, and got back to me within 2 days, so I’ll go with them. I guess Seth has enough seats lined up to modify that he doesn’t want any more

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Just ordered a Russell All Day Long for my 2020 RT Limited, production date is March 16, 2022... This will be my first RDL... Excited!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BWKean View Post
    Just ordered a Russell All Day Long for my 2020 RT Limited, production date is March 16, 2022... This will be my first RDL... Excited!!!
    Thanks, BW. Are they doing both front and rear seats for you? I believe they can’t do a Daylong backrest due to the shape of the rear seat, but if you are just getting the new foam and wings, you can continue to use the stock backrest.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Jealous! I've wanted Russell Day Long seats for several bikes over the years, but never actually pulled the trigger. Be sure to share some photos when you get it installed and a review after some usage.

Spyder Garage

They are doing driver, passenger and existing back rest.

Spyder Garage

I've owned 38 motorcycles over the years, but this is my first RDL, never been able to find a comfortable seat for more than a 100 miles, hopefully this works.

Spyder Garage

I've owned 38 motorcycles over the years, but this is my first RDL, never been able to find a comfortable seat for more than a 100 miles, hopefully this works.
    BW, if it does not give you all day comfort when you first get it, they will modify it for you until it does. I have only had that happen once in 5 Daylong seats, and they wore most of the shipping costs from Aus to US and back. You will be very happy with it. A custom seat is the only way to GUARANTEE comfort.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer View Post
    Jealous! I've wanted Russell Day Long seats for several bikes over the years, but never actually pulled the trigger. Be sure to share some photos when you get it installed and a review after some usage.

Adventurer, the reviews all say the same thing……butt ugly but extremely comfortable. They have been doing this well for many, many years

Pere
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

In regards to Ru$$ell Day-Long seats & if they are worth the Jack, I’ve owned & ridden on 3 of them & was extremely pleased with each. First was a leather solo i bought for a 93’ Honda ST1100. I added hi-way pegs to the underside of the tip over wings which necessitated a back rest when using the hi-way pegs since the pegs put me into a more upright seating position, when used. Luckily for me i bought a 2nd hand leather dual Ru$$ell (w/driver backrest) that was removed from a totaled ST that another STocer sold to me when he bought the toitaled bike for other ST parts & didnt have a need for this seat. It just so happened I knew the original owner of the totaled bike, who weighed about 50 lbs. less than I. Still, Joe’s seat felt like it was made for my weight. Rode a combination of 70 K miles between those two Ru$$ell saddles then sold that ST w/90 K miles on the odometer, along w/both saddles

Third Ru$$ell saddle i bought new for the 2002 Honda Silverwing scooter i bought 2nd hand in/around 2003, was a leather solo model w/backrest. Not that anyone asked but i went with the Honda Swing (Silverwing) getting off the pan Euro (ST) as i wanted a lighter touring platform which the Swing had in spades. Only put 20 K smiles on that 3rd Ru$$ell & Swing scooter before selling as I wasn’t riding the big miles any more

The 93’ST came to me wearing a leather Corbin, as did the 92‘ GSPD. I enjoyed the Corbin saddles, hard as a rock as they both were yet ask any cowboy that spends the better part of his day on a leather horse saddle on a cutting horse & they are hard as a rock too. That said, each of the Ru$$ell saddles were far more comfortable, especially when spending 600+ miles a day on them. My current LD steed is a 2021 Can Am RTL for the last 4.5 months & i have no complaints with the OEM saddle but, I haven’t ridden any big mile days with it yet. I like the lower lumbar support it offers

To conclude, for those on the fence thinking about investing in a Ru$$ell day-long saddle, if you’re not happy with what you have now, if’n it were me & the OEM Spyder saddle wasn’t working, I wouldn’t think twice about getting another day-long saddle. They always worked for me

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-19-2021 at 06:51 AM. Reason: think ;-)
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shakin_jake View Post
    In regards to Ru$$ell Day-Long seats & if they are worth the Jack, I’ve owned & ridden on 3 of them & was extremely pleased with each. First was a leather solo i bought for a 93’ Honda ST1100. I added hi-way pegs to the underside of the tip over wings which necessitated a back rest when using the hi-way pegs since the pegs put me into a more upright seating position, when used. Luckily for me i bought a 2nd hand leather dual Ru$$ell (w/driver backrest) that was removed from a totaled ST that another STocer sold to me when he bought the toitaled bike for other ST parts & didnt have a need for this seat. It just so happened I knew the original owner of the totaled bike, who weighed about 50 lbs. less than I. Still, Joe’s seat felt like it was made for my weight. Rode a combination of 70 K miles between those two Ru$$ell saddles then sold that ST w/90 K miles on the odometer, along w/both saddles

Third Ru$$ell saddle i bought new for the 2002 Honda Silverwing scooter i bought 2nd hand in/around 2003, was a leather solo model w/backrest. Not that anyone asked but i went with the Honda Swing (Silverwing) getting off the pan Euro (ST) as i wanted a lighter touring platform which the Swing had in spades. Only put 20 K smiles on that 3rd Ru$$ell & Swing scooter before selling as I wasn’t riding the big miles any more

The 93’ST came to me wearing a leather Corbin, as did the 92‘ GSPD. I enjoyed the Corbin saddles, hard as a rock as they both were yet ask any cowboy that spends the better part of his day on a leather horse saddle on a cutting horse & they are hard as a rock too. That said, each of the Ru$$ell saddles were far more comfortable, especially when spending 600+ miles a day on them. My current LD steed is a 2021 Can Am RTL for the last 4.5 months & i have no complaints with the OEM saddle but, I haven’t ridden any big mile days with it yet. I like the lower lumbar support it offers

To conclude, for those on the fence thinking about investing in a Ru$$ell day-long saddle, if you’re not happy with what you have now, if’n it were me & the OEM Spyder saddle wasn’t working, I wouldn’t think twice about getting another day-long saddle. They always worked for me

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    It’s never too late to have a happy childhood
    Awesome Review of the RDL, Thanks ��

Spyder Garage

I had heard that Russell Day Long had changed ownership 2 or 3 years ago. Are they still the same quality?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 03-17-2022 at 07:37 AM. Reason: a2 or 3 years?? ;-)