Spyder Garage

Default Passenger comfort on latest RT models versus 2016 RTS

I have my second Spyder RTS (2016) and have a little over 20k miles on it. Wife is 5’6” and complained of pain in the knees due to foot position and kidneys from backrest after a few hours.

Could not get footrests low enough so put on the canamspyder accessories kit they use for raising them and instead lowered them 1 1/2 inches. Cured knee pain, instead created hip pain. I’m thinking the fact that she has little room to move around and change positions in her seat is part of the problem. She is not very big but still wedged in from front to back. Anyone have experience with what the difference will be on the newer models versus the previous models like my 2016? How much better might the passenger backrest be and any feedback on foot position improvements? Thanks!
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you need to do what I've been doing for decades....taking my wife, my bike and me to a saddle customizer. I get a seat tailored to my seat (and the wife's) and our postures corrected. And we have heat added to the saddle. Nice.
    I never got that with remote or off the shelf saddles.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

My wife and I have been riding for over 50 years and on almost every bike we had to modify or change the seat. Had a 2015 RT and could put up with the comfort seat but it was not the best. Purchased a 2021 Sea to Sky and we now have over 5,000 miles on it and we both agree it has the best seat we have ever rode on. I'm 5'10" 175 and she is 5'7" 130 no problem riding from tank to tank. She says she has more room then she ever has had and loves the seat. Night and day difference from the 2015 RT. Two very happy people the they purchased the new 2021.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scwingman View Post
    My wife and I have been riding for over 50 years and on almost every bike we had to modify or change the seat. Had a 2015 RT and could put up with the comfort seat but it was not the best. Purchased a 2021 Sea to Sky and we now have over 5,000 miles on it and we both agree it has the best seat we have ever rode on. I'm 5'10" 175 and she is 5'7" 130 no problem riding from tank to tank. She says she has more room then she ever has had and loves the seat. Night and day difference from the 2015 RT. Two very happy people the they purchased the new 2021.
    Totally agree… when I have ridden the backseat of my 2021 RTL I found it to be very roomy and comfortable.
    I was passenger on the Sea to Sky test ride and that back seat was plush!
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I've noticed that the passenger backrest "hangs over" the back of the seat of my 2019 RT about 2 inches. My S.O. is only 5' 0" and she says the backrest is pushing her forward. I've confirmed that the backrest is keeping her from sliding all the way back in the seat and leans her forward quit a bit. I will say that I have a driver's backrest, which does add to her crowding, but the driver's backrest keeps me comfortable with the reach to the handlebars.

I thought I would take the backrest to an upholstery shop and have them scoop out about an inch and a half (or as much as they can) of foam from the backrest. They may have to replace the remaining foam with a firmer grade, but we'll see. It's worth a shot over the cost of a new seat.