Spyder Garage

Default Distance to fuel fill

I’m thing of retiring my 2012 RT and getting a 2019. Since this is my first 1330, at what mileage do I need to start thinking on getting a tank of fuel?

If there already a three on this, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Spyder Garage

Depends on the type of ride, but when I'm doing a mix of city streets and freeway miles, I usually start thinking about stopping for gas around the 150 mile mark. It rarely takes more than 4 to 4.5 gallons though so I likely could have gone farther, but I don't want to run it out of gas completely either, so I stay on the safe side.

As they say, YMMV....
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rustin921 View Post
    I’m thing of retiring my 2012 RT and getting a 2019. Since this is my first 1330, at what mileage do I need to start thinking on getting a tank of fuel?

If there already a three on this, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks
    when I first got my 14 RT with the new 1330 engine,I got about 35 MPG's .... after about 4000 mi. it slowly increased to 38-39 mpg's .... I can safely go 200 mi. between fill-ups ..... However I ALWAYS fill it TOTALLY .... right to the lip ... if you don't do that - fill at 175 mi......good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

250 miles...but that is pushing it. I always fill before then, usually between 180-210. I get 40 mpg most of the time.

The re-fuel light usually does NOT come on in the range I mentioned above.

Note: the miles left to fuel fill gauge is ONLY a suggestion. I would NEVER depend on that. Recommend putting one of the trip meters to zero at every fill up. Then, you know how many miles on the tank. Make sure you fill to the top...the auto shut off always leaves you a gallon or more shy from full fill.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have an 2016 F3 and yesterday got 200 miles on the tank... The low fuel light came on 3 miles before that.. Now I drive hard and fast and often see
    speeds above the limit when I'm going somewhere.. LOL

TJ
    TJRANCH
    2016 F3L

Spyder Garage

I Guys

The manufacturer says, with a full tank at 100 km / h or highway speed, the 1330cc Spyder does 406 km with its reserve.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy2121 View Post
    I Guys

The manufacturer says, with a full tank at 100 km / h or highway speed, the 1330cc Spyder does 406 km with its reserve.

FlyBoy2121
    Unfortunately, that is a "general" statement, and Warning, warning, warning...your mileage may vary.

The best idea is to get to know YOUR Spyder. Take an actual mileage calculation once in awhile. Total miles/km's driven divided by gallons or liters to get to the correct mpg or km reading. Just make sure to fill to the same level each time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I can top off the tank the way I like to, then I can watch the digital fuel gauge and take note of when the first icon changes. From that point, it gives me a good idea of how far I can go on that tank of gas. If the icon jumps in the 30's then I know my MPG will be around 35. If it jumps in the 70/80's then I know I'm getting 40+.

Get to know your ride and don't push it beyond its ability. I'm just say'n.......good luck.

Spyder Garage

It depends upon a combination of variables, not the least of which are speed one is traveling, atmospheric conditions of the day, condition of road surface(s), and how full a tank one began with, i.e., how much fuel was in the tank, how close to capacity, when the ride began. Just as you learned with your 2012, you will relearn it 1330 ACE engine-wise.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the quick replys.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlyBoy2121 View Post
    I Guys

FlyBoy2121
    Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Unfortunately, that is a "general" statement, and Warning, warning, warning...your mileage may vary.

The best idea is to get to know YOUR Spyder. Take an actual mileage calculation once in awhile. Total miles/km's driven divided by gallons or liters to get to the correct mpg or km reading. Just make sure to fill to the same level each time.
    What ARtraveler mentions is very true; and unfortunately, there really IS NO RESERVE in any Spyder's gas tank - they effectively have a nearly flat bottomed tank that has no way of isolating a 'reserve' quantity of fuel away from the rest, and at best the Low Fuel Warning Light is an erratic & unreliable indicator of the quantity of gas remaining, let alone the 'miles to empty' due to the potential differences in gas left & therefore range left even without considering any shortfalls due to getting worse MPG than you expected!!

I've said it before, and I reckon I'll probably feel it's worth saying again in the future, but here's another reminder - you really don't want to run your gas tank too low EVER, certainly not too much below a quarter of its useable volume/capacity! This is because leaving anything too much less in the way of gas remaining in the tank than that will be compromising the cooling and lubrication of your fuel pump and the injector system, as it's the gas left in the tank that acts as both coolant & lubricant for those very finely toleranced components of your engine - and you NEED close to 1/4 of a tank of gas left to do all that! ! Damage the fuel pump &/or injector system, as you almost certainly will by running too low on fuel, is an irreversible start down the path of slowly reducing the power & increasing the fuel use in your engine, even if you don't notice it initially!

Setting a trip meter to tell you how many miles/km back you last filled up and always aiming to keep about a 1/4 of a tank of gas in the tank is just another part of keeping your Spyder/Ryker (or any fuel injected ICEngine really ) in good nick & avoiding doing things like running the gas tank too low - triggering damage that you don't really want cos it will eventually destroy the injector system & maybe more!

Just Sayin'
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I know I can go 200 miles on a full tank since I tested it when my 2014 was new. I generally fill up after each ride, so I don't have a need to fill up at the start of a ride whether planned or unplanned. If I'm on a long trip I generally fill up at the 150 miles traveled mark. Oh I set trip meter to 0 at each fill up.