Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RTS weird issues

Had some strange things happen with the tryke over the last week.

I don't ride it much lately, usually once ever couple weeks to keep it running. About 15 miles one way to work.

So, last week I figured I'd ride it to get some take out for the wife. Sitting in the drive through lane waiting for my order, it just shut off. The display has some vertical lines in it at the same time. I turned it off, then back on and it started fine and got home with no issues.

Yesterday I rode it to work. Got there with no issues. Started and ran with no issues on the way home, but I had to make a stop on the way. After getting out of the store, I started up and headed out of the parking lot. As I turned onto the street, the trans seemed to slip out of gear, almost like I'd pulled the clutch (this is an SE model), then it slammed into gear. Never done that before. Then as I'm pulling onto the main road it does it again. Twice, one after the other. Then ran fine the rest of the way home.

It seems that it's been cranking a little slowly, but starts every time. They battery was replaced last year and I don't keep it on a maintainer. Does this sound like a low or bad battery issue? Or signs of something worse?
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Have your battery load tested after you check for tightness of terminal bolts/nuts.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

+1
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the battery may be going. Load test and replace if needed. When they go bad and crash, its usually not at an opportune time or place. Murphy's Law.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check for codes and see what you get.

Spyder Garage

Check the battery post bolts and make they are tight. also check other ends of battery cables.

Cheers!
    ‘21 Honda Rebel 1100 DTC Burgundy
    ‘13 Spyder RT-L Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't both testing the battery, replace it and then do what trong said. Spyders need top notch electric systems to support VSS and other functions.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

+1, on all the above, it's adviseble, with so little miles, that you keep it on a maintainer, 15 miles, is also a bit short, to get all the systems like oil warm enough, Spyder uses alot of electrical energy, and if you have a small drain, your battery will be shot in a few yrs. free advice..
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the confirmation, that's what I was thinking as well. Annoying that it would kill the battery so soon, but I'm just not riding it. It's difficult to put a maintainer on it as I don't have a garage, just an aluminum carport and there's no power out there.

Must be time to put effort into trading/selling it.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    Had some strange things happen with the tryke over the last week.

I don't ride it much lately, usually once ever couple weeks to keep it running. About 15 miles one way to work.

So, last week I figured I'd ride it to get some take out for the wife. Sitting in the drive through lane waiting for my order, it just shut off. The display has some vertical lines in it at the same time. I turned it off, then back on and it started fine and got home with no issues.

Yesterday I rode it to work. Got there with no issues. Started and ran with no issues on the way home, but I had to make a stop on the way. After getting out of the store, I started up and headed out of the parking lot. As I turned onto the street, the trans seemed to slip out of gear, almost like I'd pulled the clutch (this is an SE model), then it slammed into gear. Never done that before. Then as I'm pulling onto the main road it does it again. Twice, one after the other. Then ran fine the rest of the way home.

It seems that it's been cranking a little slowly, but starts every time. They battery was replaced last year and I don't keep it on a maintainer. Does this sound like a low or bad battery issue? Or signs of something worse?
    I Guys
    You can install a small solar panel that will do the job well.

FlyBoy2121
    2014 RT ltd , original original Cognac

Spyder Garage

I agree with the battery post the 2021 limited does not have lock washers on the post and they back off