Spyder Garage

Default F-3 Tire Recommendations

I have searched previous posts regarding auto tires for the F-3. Some of them were a few years old. Could you be so kind to recommend both front and rear tire brands, model and sizes that you are using. Thank you very much.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poconoscooter1 View Post
    I have searched previous posts regarding auto tires for the F-3. Some of them were a few years old. Could you be so kind to recommend both front and rear tire brands, model and sizes that you are using. Thank you very much.
    The NEW Vredestein " Quatrac " model has the best rating of the current tires that will fit .... The Michelin Cross Climate 2 is very slightly higher rating but there are no sizes for the front ...ONLY the rear .... also they are way more expensive ( not worth the money IMHO ) ..... Mike ....I just started a Thread in new tire tests ....

Spyder Garage

I'm sure some will oblige with their preferences pocono, but it seems to me that you are over-thinking this.

First up, don't restrict your search here only to tires that fit F3's - if an alternative/non OEM tire fits an RT, it's a pretty certain thing that it'll fit on an F3 too.

That said, there's also not a massive change rate in tire brands, types, &/or sizes that fit our Spyders (any Spyders that is, F3's, RT's, even RS's & ST's, at least all those since the early GS/RS Spyders that ran 14" front rims & different brakes - not the current Brembos) so there's no significant changes in the tire recommendations that work well, except for the occasional addition of upgraded/latest version of those tires like the Vredestein Quatrac's & the latest Michelin Cross Climate 2 upgrades Mike mentioned above. So those 'few years old' threads & their recommendations are still just as valid today as they were when they were posted a few years ago, even if there are a couple of tire brands/types that have since superseded earlier versions with more recent types of the same tire!

So it really doesn't matter if the tire thread you're reading is a few years old or if it's for an RT, an RSS, an ST, or an F3 - just so long as it's talking about tires for 15" rims and it's NOT talking about tires for a Ryker, then the recommendations there-in are still valid; and even if that thread is a few years old, new tires of the same brand/type or the latest version of those tires should work for you, and do it very well too - just so long as you run them at the right (lower) pressures for the light load the Spyder imposes on a tire that's capable of carrying so much more weight when it's fitted to a car!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-30-2021 at 06:45 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Suggestions for rear tires: General Altimax RT43 and Hankook Kinergy PT H737. Both in 215/60/R15 size. For the fronts: Hankook Ventus V4ES in 175/55/R15 size.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I'm sure some will oblige with their preferences pocono, but it seems to me that you are over-thinking this.

First up, don't restrict your search here only to tires that fit F3's - if an alternative/non OEM tire fits an RT, it's a pretty certain thing that it'll fit on an F3 too.

That said, there's also not a massive change rate in tire brands, types, &/or sizes that fit our Spyders (any Spyders that is, F3's, RT's, even RS's & ST's, at least all those since the early GS/RS Spyders that ran 14" front rims & different brakes - not the current Brembos) so there's no significant changes in the tire recommendations that work well, except for the occasional addition of upgraded/latest version of those tires like the Vredestein Quatrac's & the latest Michelin Cross Climate 2 upgrades Mike mentioned above. So those 'few years old' threads & their recommendations are still just as valid today as they were when they were posted a few years ago, even if there are a couple of tire brands/types that have since superseded earlier versions with more recent types of the same tire!

So it really doesn't matter if the tire thread you're reading is a few years old or if it's for an RT, an RSS, an ST, or an F3 - just so long as it's talking about tires for 15" rims and it's NOT talking about tires for a Ryker, then the recommendations there-in are still valid; and even if that thread is a few years old, new tires of the same brand/type or the latest version of those tires should work for you, and do it very well too - just so long as you run them at the right (lower) pressures for the light load the Spyder imposes on a tire that's capable of carrying so much more weight when it's fitted to a car!
    Thank you Peter for the information. I probably should have expounded on my questions. I live in a small town in Northeast Pennsylvania. I was having trouble finding recommended tires (possibly COVID) supply issues or such) so I just wanted to get a list of other tires that I maybe able to locate. Again, thank you very much for your advise.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poconoscooter1 View Post
    We highly recommend the Yokohama tires front and rear. MUCH better traction for launch than any of the Michelin, General or Verdestien tires mentioned and still manage a very respectable 18 to 20k life on the rear. We have sold and installed many sets to very happy customers that return and buy them again. Well the rears anyway. The fronts last so long they bike usually goes away first. My personal set have 67,000 on them and plenty of tread. Will age out before they wear out. Its also nice having the same brand front and rear. Lastly, they are MADE IN USA.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    We highly recommend the Yokohama tires front and rear. MUCH better traction for launch than any of the Michelin, General or Verdestien tires mentioned and still manage a very respectable 18 to 20k life on the rear. We have sold and installed many sets to very happy customers that return and buy them again. Well the rears anyway. The fronts last so long they bike usually goes away first. My personal set have 67,000 on them and plenty of tread. Will age out before they wear out. Its also nice having the same brand front and rear. Lastly, they are MADE IN USA.
    Model of Yokohama rear tires?

Spyder Garage

I would also like to know which Yokohama's you went with and size. I've been running one on my Harley rear over 20,000, not even showing wear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    Model of Yokohama rear tires?
    Yokohama Advan Fleeva 205/55VR15

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Suggestions for rear tires: General Altimax RT43 and Hankook Kinergy PT H737. Both in 215/60/R15 size. For the fronts: Hankook Ventus V4ES in 175/55/R15 size.
    I don't understand why quite a few folks recommend this tire ( Hankook )..... it's DRY rating is 7.9 .... and it's WET rating is only 6.8 ( 10 is best ) .... both the Vredestein & Michelin are in the mid 9's ..... the only thing it has going for it is it's cheaper..... Also the Yokohama Fleva doesn't impress me either ...... JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I don't understand why quite a few folks recommend this tire ( Hankook )..... it's DRY rating is 7.9 .... and it's WET rating is only 6.8 ( 10 is best ) .... both the Vredestein & Michelin are in the mid 9's ..... the only thing it has going for it is it's cheaper..... Also the Yokohama Fleva doesn't impress me either ...... JMHO ... Mike
    What are the Yokohama Fleva's numbers for the rear Mike? Considering that I'm in my mid 80s, I'm now a fair weather rider. I had enough discomfort in past riding years (since 1952) that I no longer volunteer for more. So wet/rain tire numbers don't interest me, but the other numbers do.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I have said this before, these numerical 'ratings' are user rating of these tires on station wagons (cars and trucks). Has next to no bearing on its use for Spyders. The comparisons are just not valid. They are also not valid across different types of tires. A ultra high performance tire with a 7 dry traction does NOT have less traction than a station wagon tire with a 9. This applies in this case because the Advan Fleeva is a V speed rated performance car tire, not a general passenger all season.

I can tell you from personal real world experience that the Yoko has far better dry traction for launch than Kenda, General, Hankook, Kuhmo or vredestein. Its a different class of tire. None of those brands even make a performance tire in this size. I will say some of those last longer but its because of the hard rubber compounds they use which limit traction.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    What are the Yokohama Fleva's numbers for the rear Mike? Considering that I'm in my mid 80s, I'm now a fair weather rider. I had enough discomfort in past riding years (since 1952) that I no longer volunteer for more. So wet/rain tire numbers don't interest me, but the other numbers do.
    Well I don't ride in the Rain either unless I have no choice. .... However using tires that provide the most traction IF it does rain is what I suggest .... Why would I or anyone suggest riding on Mediocre Tires ???? .... What do ytou think would happen if someone started a Mediocre Tire Thread ???? ...... ride safe ride happy ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I have said this before, these numerical 'ratings' are user rating of these tires on station wagons (cars and trucks). Has next to no bearing on its use for Spyders. The comparisons are just not valid. They are also not valid across different types of tires. A ultra high performance tire with a 7 dry traction does NOT have less traction than a station wagon tire with a 9. This applies in this case because the Advan Fleeva is a V speed rated performance car tire, not a general passenger all season.

I can tell you from personal real world experience that the Yoko has far better dry traction for launch than Kenda, General, Hankook, Kuhmo or vredestein. Its a different class of tire. None of those brands even make a performance tire in this size. I will say some of those last longer but its because of the hard rubber compounds they use which limit traction.
    Well I rely on " tire science " ... not " Butt feelings ".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well I rely on " tire science " ... not " Butt feelings ".
    If you consider 0-60 times measured with my trusty old Vericom to be Butt Feelings then I guess we will just have to disagree. Lower 0-60 times are the result of a better gripping tire. The butt-o-meter has no trouble telling the difference either. its not subtle.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

If you consider 0-60 times measured with my trusty old Vericom to be Butt Feelings then I guess we will just have to disagree. Lower 0-60 times are the result of a better gripping tire. The butt-o-meter has no trouble telling the difference either. its not subtle.
    I agree 100%. I like the new Fleva but feel its predecessor was better... But hey! This one can still take all but the most hamfisted applications.... Even mid-corner.

Just wish they would make the equivalent for the fronts!! If my 595's ever wear out I'm gonna be in trouble...

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

If you consider 0-60 times measured with my trusty old Vericom to be Butt Feelings then I guess we will just have to disagree. Lower 0-60 times are the result of a better gripping tire.
    Actually, that's not quite true

The tyre you have referenced has a considerably smaller diameter, which gears the bike down. It would be like comparing a big rear sprocket with a small.
    Aprilia Mana 850GT, 1988 BMW K75S, Piaggio MP3 400 (sold), Moto Guzzi Nevada 750 (modified), Puch (Sears Allstate SR175), 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid