Spyder Garage

Default Oh Dread! Another Oil Thread!

Unlike most. I love oil threads. They are so cyclical! Or maybe circular.

As most know. I like Amsoil. Recently, my crazy mechanic brother converted his mint condition, Vanagon camper to a Subaru power plant and transmission. Using the factory recommended transmission gear lube (manual trans) it was running an average or 170 degrees. My brother puts sensors everywhere. He loves gauges. His dash probably looks like an airplane cockpit.

170 is not bad. And I didn't see why it would concern him. But for whatever reason, he wanted to see if he could lower that temperature. Because, he said, when the weather heats up next year. And with his planned trips to hot destinations out west, that 170 might go higher. The Vanagon is not very aerodynamic and probably puts more strain on the transmission than the original design vehicle.

So, I sent him some Amsoil gear lube. Frankly, neither of us expected to see any real difference in temperature. But we both thought that the Amsoil might hold up better. To our surprise, he reports that the normal operating temperature is now 155 degrees. He's now taken it on 2 trips and that average has held up.

Doesn't have anything to do with the Spyder. But the Ryker does have a gear drive output shaft and a final drive. I don't have any way to take temperature readings. But I am going to switch to Amsoil in both of these places. I am also running Amsoil XL Boosted motor oil in the Ryker. It has friction modifiers, and is not JASO rated. I am using it because the Ryker does not have a wet clutch (which is the only reason to use a JASO rated oil). Using automotive oil it will provide as good or better lubrication at a lower price than the JASO rated motorcycle oil called for. Not saying anyone else should follow suit. It's just that getting a better lubricant for less money appeals to me. I simply see no reason to use a compromised purpose, wet clutch oil, in a machine that does not need it. It's just what I am doing with my own Ryker.

I've had 1 customer, after explaining all the 'Need to Know Disclosures', opt for the automotive alternative. They are quite happy as well. I believe I am also getting about 2 mph better with the automotive oil.

I don't argue oil. I just have fun with it!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-30-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm running Valvoline 5-40 MST in the Ryker and my 900 jet-ski for years and it does great.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I run Amsoil in all my vehicles.