Spyder Garage

Default Tyre pressure on the 2021 f3ltd

Sept 29, 2021

I was talking to the dealer about tyre pressure. 28 in the OEM Kendas seems to be good even though some people go to 26 and some to30.
    In the OEM Kendas front tyres, the manual says 15 lbs. They also mentioned that some use as much as 24 for better tyre wear.
    He also said that the OEM Kendas last a long time except if you burn out at all the traffic lights and have the wrong tyre pressure.

Motogordo Spyderman

Spyder Garage

If they are referring to the front tire they are right. they do last along time by anybodies definition,but if they are referring to the rear I would like to know their definition of "a long time". My rear tire only lasted 10,000 miles, and that is not a long distance in my book.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    If they are referring to the front tire they are right. they do last along time by anybodies definition,but if they are referring to the rear I would like to know their definition of "a long time". My rear tire only lasted 10,000 miles, and that is not a long distance in my book.
    ..... after millions of miles of of use , owners have reported that there really is NO magic PSI to fix REAR tire wear. 8 to 12,000 is about average ( compared to 30,000 plus mi. for an auto tire. If they think the cause of rapid rear tire wear is " Burn-outs " they are BS'ing you - period ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

What I don’t understand is at the lower tire pressure on the rear that is suggested causes wear in the center of the tire. I guess what I’m saying is that if the rear tire is basically a car tire then why is it wearing in the middle at under lower than normal car tire pressures?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    What I don’t understand is at the lower tire pressure on the rear that is suggested causes wear in the center of the tire. I guess what I’m saying is that if the rear tire is basically a car tire then why is it wearing in the middle at under lower than normal car tire pressures?
    it LOOKS like a car tire, but its Kenda. only 2 ply makes it weak. any pressure will balloon out while riding and wear. 28 lbs is recommended in manual, but that will wear, a lower pressure thinking it will help, just makes it wear.......CAR TIRE if you can find a dealership that will put one on. there are some that do, but check first before buying one
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    it ONLY LOOKS like a car tire, but its Kenda. It's THE LIGHT WEIGHT of the 2 PLIES in the TREAD &/or the CASING that makes it weak.....
    Fixed it for you Wood!

BTW, running just 2 plies isn't really all that uncommon, but the thread & wires of the plies & steel belts used in the OEM Spec Kendas are about 1/3 lighter/thinner than those used in most 'real' car tires (well, that is unless they've changed their specs in the last couple of years - I haven't dissected a Kenda recently... )
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-30-2021 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Clarity re Casing &/or Tread. ;-)
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Fixed it for you Wood!

BTW, running just 2 plies isn't really all that uncommon, but the thread & wires of the plies & steel belts used in the OEM Spec Kendas are about 1/3 lighter/thinner than those used in most 'real' car tires (well, that is unless they've changed their specs in the last couple of years - I haven't dissected a Kenda recently... )
    ....Peter you beat me to it .... However let me add, what makes any tire " stronger " has more to do with the " CASING " than the " tread " ... . The casing is what holds the shape of the tire ..... the Tread is what decides the traction / wear component .....JMHO ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plarimer View Post
    KENDA's vs. Real Auto Tires ( there's a hugh difference ) ..... with the Kenda's the PSI doesn't matter as much, as the SPEED at which they are driven. ....below about 30-35 mph the tire TREAD will stay almost FLAT, once you go above that speed, the center begins to " balloon ". The faster you go the more pronounced it becomes. Folks here who do lot of Interstate riding wear the Kenda's out much faster. .... It's all about tire science .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    KENDA's vs. Real Auto Tires ( there's a hugh difference ) ..... with the Kenda's the PSI doesn't matter as much, as the SPEED at which they are driven. ....below about 30-35 mph the tire TREAD will stay almost FLAT, once you go above that speed, the center begins to " balloon ". The faster you go the more pronounced it becomes. Folks here who do lot of Interstate riding wear the Kenda's out much faster. .... It's all about tire science .... Mike
    It's not complicated science either.