Thread: New Battery

Spyder Garage

Default New Battery

I have a 2015 RT Limited. I have to replace my battery, is there anything special I need to know about removing the old one and installing the new?
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper
    Spyclops
    Spyclops II
    Utopia Back Rest

Spyder Garage

Kind of. Obvious is disconnecting negative first. Reconnect negative last. Some folks prefer to purchase and install star lockwashers. As for lockwashers, never understood if everyone is installing them under the bolt heads or between the battery terminal and ring terminal.

The most important though is ensuring the plastic cover is installed correctly and all seals are intact. Any leaks will let rain water into the frunk.

With a new battery, Yuasa brand states in the instructions, to check the voltage and compare to the supplied chart. They specify ranges of voltage to indicate if the battery will require charging prior to use. As you research batteries, you most likely want a factory filled. In any case, placing the new battery on a low amp maintainer overnight, prior to use is good practices. The battery can be charged after installing, by accessing through the plastic cover.

Spyder Garage

Although this job can be done with the frunk lid in place----- 4 easy to undo bolts and you have easy access to the battery compartment. You'll thank me later.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like Deka AGM batteries...They have the best cable attaching system in the industry...(in my opinion) larryd

Spyder Garage

Information about the battery begins on pg 130 of the operator's guide. In addition to the suggestions offered above, if one has 10 digits, including two opposing thumbs, it's about a 15 minute job to replace a battery. One must remember that the metal bracket to which the rubber hold-down strap connects has two straight spade-like prongs that fit into the rear wall of the battery compartment. I suggest examining the area with a mirror before removing the old battery.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks in Advance!!
    2015 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    Magic Mirrors
    Short Antenna
    LaMonster Dual Power Plate
    LED Headlights
    LED Fog lights
    Vibration Damper