Spyder Garage

Default 2011 Spyder RS Limp Home Mode Gremlins

Recently picked up this 2011 RS with 18k kms on it. It’s been sitting for a couple years since 2019. Codes for parking brake, ABS and VSS come up on the dash. Also seem to have an issue with the cluster only wants to work intermittently. I’ve taken the console off to find a mouse nest, removed it and inspected all the wires doesn’t seem to be anything frayed or ate by the house guest. I’m reading lots about the brake switch causing some of these issues.
    Current codes after clearing with BUDS are:
    P0600 x 40
    P2545 x 21

Spyder Garage

Right now still getting parking brake, abs fault and VSS fault on screen. Can someone help me figure out which is the VSS module….

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RareSnacks View Post
    Right now still getting parking brake, abs fault and VSS fault on screen. Can someone help me figure out which is the VSS module….
    Hello. When you first turn the key on, if the Parking Brake light starts flashing, then that’s normal. It’s simply telling you that the Parking Brake is engaged. The ABS and VSS lights do also sometimes come on right away due to a low battery condition. Happened to me this spring, after a long winter, even after being on a battery tender. This may fit your condition because it has been sitting idle for so long, and the battery won’t properly take a charge. New battery solved that. And yes, you still could have some chewed up wires in the internals of the wiring harness. The VSS module is that unit that looks like an ABS motor and valve block. Typically called the VCM. Follow the brake lines. If you need an owners guide, here’s a link.

https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/...c-101327c58f9c

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

From SpyderCodes
    P0600: communication problem to ECM. Maybe damaged or need update
    P2545: VSS failure VSS can message light missing
    Double check connections & wires. FULL charged battery with clean connections. Mouse nest is concerning, that’s was just the obvious find, they might have other locations in tighter spots. The intermittent dash definitely loose connections somewhere

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    From SpyderCodes
    P0600: communication problem to ECM. Maybe damaged or need update
    P2545: VSS failure VSS can message light missing
    Double check connections & wires. FULL charged battery with clean connections. Mouse nest is concerning, that’s was just the obvious find, they might have other locations in tighter spots. The intermittent dash definitely loose connections somewhere
    So we put a little time into this beauty today and still in the weeds so to speak. Cleaned out mouse nest, did full inspection of the wiring and fuses, all checked out ok.. We cleared the codes in BUDS system and immediately they return, Parking Brake we did figure out is just because its on as someone mentioned. Still remaining is ABS fault, VSS Fault and also the Steering Fault. Checked battery and it appears fine but will throw battery at it tomorrow anyway and report back. The person I got it from did mention they got a new battery for it, and it seems like possibly they have been down this road before, im confident we will get to the bottom of it and report back. So many dead threads on this forum without resolution.

Spyder Garage

Stupid question, pictures need to be hosted somewhere else to be linked here? I am updating progress on our instagram as well @georgianbayparts

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RareSnacks View Post
    Stupid question, pictures need to be hosted somewhere else to be linked here? I am updating progress on our instagram as well @georgianbayparts
    Nope. You can add them via the 'image' link, usually 3rd from the right in the menu bar above the Quick Reply text screen, or even better, load them from your files, camera, or PC direct to the Forum via the 'Manage Attachments' option 2 panels below the text field when you 'Reply to Thread' &/or 'Go Advanced' - if you use the latter method, at least some of the sizing & (sometimes.... ) orientation concerns are looked after by the Forum/system!

PM me if you have any issues
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Im on a MacBook and when I can select the file on my computer but it doesn't have a button to click upload.. when I toggle over to the url option it has said button.... I will eventually figure it out im sure just like this darn Spyder. New battery installed tomorrow.. if that ends up being the problem, I won't show you how torn apart this thing is right now LOLOL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

You still should be able to open the 'Reply to Thread' option that's below the last post in the thread but above the 'Quick Reply' text panel. Once it's open, if you don't have the little picture frame that's the 'Insert Image' in the menu bars above the text field, scroll down past the text entry field to 'Additional Options', then further down until you see the 'Manage Attachments' button & click on it. Then 'Choose your file' from wherever, click 'Done' & then once you can see your file is selected, look a bit further down that panel to click on 'Upload File', an action which may then take a minute or two but should eventually return you that same screen only with an address link showing in the space even further down the page but immediately above the Attachment Key panel - once that address is showing there, it's been uploaded & you can 'Close this Window' (down the bottom of the page even further....) and then return to the text field to submit. You can add more than one pic/image at a time to a given post, but please, try to limit yourself to adding/showing no more than 5 pics per post, as some devices won't even load a thread that has any more pics than that in any one post - if you have more pics than that which you want to show, just finalise your first post & submit; then simply add another post with more pics/images in it, & then repeat as necessary.

Ps: not directing this at or pickin' on you RareSnacks, but rather for those who may not realise/understand the terminology.... this post from me is 'a post' and it's my 2nd post in this thread - a collection of consecutive posts from any number of posters/members/users make up a thread. In this instance, the thread was started by RareSnacks, the OP or Original Poster who has so far posted 5 posts in this thread; & it also has a number of other posts in the thread, including 1 each from Snowbelt Spyder & Bfromla, and now my 2 posts (so far! ) I hope that makes it a little clearer to all how a poster can add more than 5 pics to a given thread, even if we'd rather you didn't add more than 5 pics per post - this is so that even those on small screen devices can read the thread too.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-28-2021 at 10:34 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Wow I need another cup!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Battery tests 12.9V after sitting overnight.

Spyder Garage

Reading more on this site VCM failure is unlikely. Previous powersports shop diagnostic was valve stuck… but those codes don’t return.
    We have tested looping the brake switch, seems to be functioning properly.

Spyder Garage

It seems from more reading that I may be best to start by replacing the speed sensors but I am open to suggestions on what the next step is to tackle this beauty and maybe get it on the road for a fall tour

Spyder Garage

We have been playing around with this Spyder over the last couple days in-between jobs.. cleared all codes.. first one to trip is the Brake Pressure sensor code, did the resistance testing and the sensor seems to be shot. ordered from BRP along with a new brake switch just incase.... not my favourite way to do things but im going to throw a few likely sensors at this beauty in hopes its not the VCM.