Spyder Garage

Default OK to Pressure wash wheels?

Hello All,
    I just got returned from Americade up in Lake George NY. All in all a great time but certainly not the event it used to be.
    What is I guess in these times of Covid and such.
    I Lost a bolt in the ride height level sensor. This set an indicator light on the dash. A forum search helped me figure out what the problem was.
    After packing for the trip home and ready to leave the parking brake would not release . Finally I tried a complete shutdown and restart, it was fine and has not occurred since.
    I will have to look into this a bit further.
    Anyway the front wheels especially are in need of a good cleaning and I was thinking of using my Electric pressure (1200 PSI) washer to give them a quick cleaning. I would never do this to the plastics and paint but I have used this method on my car and truck with no negative results. I don't get super close to the wheels but hold the wand a little distance from the wheels.
    Anyone else do this or should I scrub them by hand?

2018 Spyder Rt limited

Spyder Garage

Well, I don’t know what the pressure rating is on the ones that car washes but I use them a couple times of year, especially for my wheels. The thing I don’t do is hold wand closer than a couple feet from what I’m washing. I have done this for years on all my motorcycles and never had a problem. But like everyone else has said keep the pressure away from the radiator fins. I might add that it’s much easier if you presoak on the soap setting for a couple of minutes.

Spyder Garage

If you have stick-on wheel weights a high pressure hose can blow them loose. Don't ask me how I know!
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

A real good way to deep clean and shine your wheels would be take them off and hand clean them then give a good wax job!!! I do mine once a year, then threw out the year just brush and wash on the bike by hand!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I view pressure washers and Spyders mortal enemies. Left to my own devices I'd try Merlin's Blood or some other good wheel cleaner or, if really grungy, Mikey's method. Routinely I have good luck with plain old car wash soap so I don't let them get too bad.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I'm also with Mikey - remove em 'em and clean 'em by hand. Another thing I do is raise one side with a floor jack and pull up a low stool and rotate and clean 'em. Then get help getting off the stool.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I'm also with Mikey - remove em 'em and clean 'em by hand. Another thing I do is raise one side with a floor jack and pull up a low stool and rotate and clean 'em. Then get help getting off the stool.
    Ain’t that the truth!

Spyder Garage

"Then get help getting off the stool.:" Amen to that. I use the car wash. I will spray the wheels with a good wheel cleaner thenwash the rest of the Spyder, but I don't pull the trigger,just let the low pressure spray do the job. I carry and old cloth to rub the hard spots then do the wheels last. Works great.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I use Shout laundry spot treatment (homemade) on my wheels. It does a great job without a lot of scrubbing. This is an old dirt bike trick I learned from my neighbor.
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    I use Shout laundry spot treatment (homemade) on my wheels. It does a great job without a lot of scrubbing. This is an old dirt bike trick I learned from my neighbor.
    Did your neighbor also teach you the Mop-N-Glo trick also?

As for the original persons post, inspect your wheels for chipped powdercoat. If there is any chips, avoid the pressure washer. It could peel sections of powdercoat loose.

Spyder Garage

As a follow up to my original post I got the chance to get out the pressure washer and have at it. Very disappointed at the results on my front wheels. It works well on my car and truck but on the Spyder it didn't do much at all. Not sure why but the dirt and deposits seem almost baked on. I will have to get some type of wheel cleaner and go at it by hand I guess.
    2018 Spyder RTL Stock
    2006 Harley Ultra Classic lots of mods