Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2020 F3L hard shifting

I have 2,700 miles now and over the weekend I noticed it was shifting hard sometimes while up shifting. It did it a few times but everything else seemed ok. Think a first service may take care of this?

Spyder Garage

Contact your dealer's shop and have them make a note of the problem - a real note.
    Next; when does that occur? On a cold or hot engine? Did you correctly check the engine oil level? If low, did you add? If not, try it and see.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

I own a 2020 F3 and found the shifting “rough”. At the first service, changed from BRP oil to Amsoil, metric motorcycle 1040. Noticed the difference right away! Just a thought!

Spyder Garage

RPM's ???

Best up shifting seems to occur at 3500 or so rpm's. No noise, no clunk. I mostly let it downshift on its own.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I always wondered what the sweet spot was to shift the thing. I did check oil and it was fine before I took off. Checked it again when I got back home and it was the same. I'll let me dealer know. I may try to get it in for its first service a little early. I'd like to take a trip in the next couple of weeks, so it may be better to get it done before.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peatmoss View Post
    I did check oil and it was fine before I took off. Checked it again when I got back home and it was the same.
    you can't check it cold and hot and it be the same. cold is going to be less on dipstick,,,hot will be more or i should say proper level if checked according to manual.

ride at least 10 miles, come home, let idle 2 minutes, turn off, check oil level within 2 minutes to get proper level. its a dry sump engine with scavage pumps inside. checking cold will cause an overfill problem
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Girard OH (summer) Greenville SC (winter)
    Spyder Garage

I have no problem using Rotella t6 5W40 and this time using Castrol 5w40 synthetic. Both purchased at Wally World for cheeep. Castrol seems to cause a bit of delay when starting out cold, but it sure does make for easily smoking the tire at full tilt!
    to see my 2016 F3-T and many how to's
    2016 F3-T SE6 Roadster , Extended brake pedal for which I drilled out the brake rod yolk to lower it and added spacers to lift it slightly Black/Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peatmoss View Post
    I have 2,700 miles now and over the weekend I noticed it was shifting hard sometimes while up shifting. It did it a few times but everything else seemed ok. Think a first service may take care of this?
    Warm or cool or cold it doesn't seem to make a difference ( Except for reverse - warm to hot is better ) .... I shift at about 2100 to 2300, I know this at the low end. But think, when you shift from IDLE 1000+/- rpm's to first - it shifts fine ..... This of course changes when I'm honking it in the Twistie's ................jmho .... Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oil level seems to be ok. I'm going on a weekend trip next weekend, so I'll have to pay attention if it does it again so I can tell what I was doing at the time. I think I'll do the first service when I get back. I live in Indiana so you have to ride when the weather is nice or regret it this winter while you're sitting on it in the garage wishing it was warm again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did a 400 mile trip this weekend and it never shifted rough one time. So, I don't know. I can't get into dealer for first service until next month. So, I'll keep riding while the weather allows me to I guess.

Spyder Garage

Went on a club ride with my Southern Cruisers chapter. It was prime riding weather, a good turnout, good people, rode some really great twisties, the wife pillioned, and the bike performed wonderfully. The car tires, the sway bar, the Elka Stage 2s and the Pedal Commander combined to make our F3L a true and real performer. I'm liking this bike even more now. This group rides hard and fast and even though we were two up, it was no effort to keep up. like it used to. I may be old (85) but I sure ain't slow.

That's the old man, 3rd from the left.
    DSCN3046.jpg

More than half are women riders and boy howdy, can they ever ride!
    DSCN3051.jpg

Two three wheelers and seven two wheelers in the group.
    DSCN3053.jpg
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    I own a 2020 F3 and found the shifting “rough”. At the first service, changed from BRP oil to Amsoil, metric motorcycle 1040. Noticed the difference right away! Just a thought!
    Couldn't agree more. Switched to Amsoil at 3000 miles and there was a noticeable difference in ease of shifting. Not saying the other oils won't do as well, just that I know Amsoil helped.

Cheers
    Bill