Spyder Garage

Default High pitch sound after turning off ignition 2011RTS

I just bought a 2011Spyder RTS when I turn the ignition switch off there is a high pitched sound for several minutes is this normal?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trikemike View Post
    I just bought a 2011Spyder RTS when I turn the ignition switch off there is a high pitched sound for several minutes is this normal?
    Make sure you have the parking brake applied when you turn the Spyder off. If the parking brake is not applied, a loud annoying beep will continue for a while and then stop.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

That is normal Mike, it's the solenoid for the throttle body remaining active to hold it closed after engine shut-down. There were a few incidents early in the piece traced to these throttle bodies, and the fix was to extend the period they were held closed - I can't remember exactly any more, it was a while ago now, but I believe it might even be for as long as 30 mins!

But it's not harming anything; it uses a tiny amount of battery power; and it keeps your Spyder safe! Besides, many modern vehicles do this, it's just that most have more 'stuff' around them &/or the noise is buried further away from you as you get out of the vehicle, so you rarely notice it. Only with our Spyders, it's right there & the tupperware really isn't all that wonderful of a sound barrier! Learn to love it as one of the benign features of owning a hi-tech piece of kit that's such a wonderful thing to ryde!

Cheers!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Just back from Smokey moutains 2015 f3 soo hot the gas cap had high pitch noise lift the gas cap too much presure

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brad0414 View Post
    Just back from Smokey moutains 2015 f3 soo hot the gas cap had high pitch noise lift the gas cap too much presure
    Brad, Peter correctly described the source of the sound on the 2011 RT that the OP has.

In your case, you have a problem with the venting system of your fuel tank. All tanks are continuously vented through the charcoal canister. That's the purpose of the thing. The gas cap seal should be tight. Is it damaged or missing? Sure, there might be a TINY bit of positive pressure allowed to build up in the tank, but never enough to blow past the seal in your gas cap. There's a restriction someplace. Could be the canister itself, a kinked line that has been there since assembly, blockage in the line, or perhaps that little vent line filter needs changed out. Check out a parts diagram for the F3. The F3 has a rather unique gas tank filler neck and cap. Are you using an after market gas cap that might be improperly designed. Bottom line, if it was mine, I would look into it.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238