Spyder Garage

Default Gas tank fill ups

I really love my spyder but I just finished a 2600 mile trip and was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to get the tank to fill completely without tapping the nozzle for 20 mins to get the last gallon in the tank? Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

I also have an RT tho an earlier version. I find if I hold the gas nozzle right on the edge of the hole I can get the fuel to just below the rim and I stop there. My mileage isn't as good as yours and a smaller tank(older VTwin) but I am still good 160 miles.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
    I really love my spyder but I just finished a 2600 mile trip and was wondering if anyone has figured out a way to get the tank to fill completely without tapping the nozzle for 20 mins to get the last gallon in the tank? Chris
    I Always fill mine to the fill ring on my 14 RT ..... occasionally a VERY little bit will splash ... I start by putting the nozzle in ALL the way , after it AUTO stops I pull it back about 3 inches then watch as I slow fill until I see gas .... pull back to lip and very slow fill until it is Full .... If it takes all of 3 min. I can live with that ..... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I do something similar to BK911, except that after the auto shut off, I insert one of those long nozzle funnels that sticks about 5" down into the tank. The upper portion sticks up about 5 or 6" and that's where I slow fill (trickle)so the upper portion of the funnel gets about half to two thirds full then let it seep down before starting again. I can get the fuel level up to the two little vents in the filler cup; that's where I stop. It's usually about a gallon or a little more after the auto stop. Takes three or four minutes, but when you are in a hurry or have been on the road for many miles, it seems like forever.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nope. Some stations have nozles that work better than others when topping off that last gallon but they are becoming far and fewer between. The older gas pumps work better than the new ones because they don't have the velocity the new ones have. The new ones shoot out gas so fast that our little capacity tanks can't handle it. I've tried several things but nothing works yet. Maybe carrying a one-gallon jug and filling it up and then pouring it in slowly will work but I haven't tried that yet. Besides carrying around an empty gallon jug is a hassle. Maybe a collapsible one would work? I don't know? If you find a way let me know.

Spyder Garage

2021-03-29 21.59.51.jpg
    Well, there is this
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks RayBJ however, I'm not in favor of packing extra gas in a separate container on the highway. It's been a common practice when off-roading, but not on the highway. I was assisting a lady one time long ago who ran out of gas in her VW. While putting 5gal's of gas in her tank she was rear-ended by a drunk driver. I got splashed with gas but avoided being run over. The only, thing I can figure out is God reached down snatched me out of the way. Having half your clothing drench with gas is a very spooky feeling, to say the least. Plastic and metal containers can and do rupture on impact.

Spyder Garage

2dogs, I agree it's a Pinto in waiting! It's now sitting in shed. I only used that rig on my Yellowstone run in June. My Triumph Trophy SE got 52 mpg last X-country run and the RT is lucky to get 30. Plus my riding partner had a similar range. We avoid super-slabs if possible and wasn't sure of available 91 gas stops in the 'toolies'. I covered it with a helmet bag to be less conspicuous. Didn't need it but we did need octane booster in a couple spots.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

IME, it's an absolute crap shoot trying to fine gas pumps that have low pressure and a smoothly operating nozzle valve; it varies even amongst pumps at a facility with maybe 10-12 pumps. I have totally written off the local Costco for the Spyder because of the Nanny Government overflow preventers despite its convenient location. I was pleasantly surprised during my journey to/from and at Spyderquest where I could find two facilities very close to the hotel that had both the low pump volume and good, smooth nozzle valves so I could get the tank as full as possible. I also found one pump at a high volume local BP that has the ideal mechanical characteristics.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    2021-03-29 21.59.51.jpg
    Well, there is this
    Wish that mount would fit on my 2018 F3-T.

Spyder Garage

Our area Weigel's stores (newer ones at least) have non-alcohol 90 octane, but dispense it like a fire hose with an ON/OFF switch.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I have totally written off the local Costco for the Spyder because of the Nanny Government overflow preventers despite its convenient location.
    I just pull the preventer back and keep on filling!

The rate the gas comes out of the nozzle depends on how clean the filter in the pump is. They do get dirty and gas pumps slow.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I Always fill mine to the fill ring on my 14 RT ..... occasionally a VERY little bit will splash ... I start by putting the nozzle in ALL the way , after it AUTO stops I pull it back about 3 inches then watch as I slow fill until I see gas .... pull back to lip and very slow fill until it is Full .... If it takes all of 3 min. I can live with that ..... good luck ..... Mike
    Same here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I just pull the preventer back and keep on filling!...
    That works on maybe one or two of the pumps at my local facility but I give a general POS rating to the system for use with Spyders.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The northeast gas stations mostly use the 'preventer' cuffs. A true PIA but I do same as above - push all the way in, fill till stop, pull out to rim and hold the cuff to finish slowly.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The northeast gas stations mostly use the 'preventer' cuffs. A true PIA but I do same as above - push all the way in, fill till stop, pull out to rim and hold the cuff to finish slowly.
    I haven't seen any in VT , or NH .... I HATE the ones in New Jersey ...........Mike

Spyder Garage

I have become good at finding that sweet spot on the pump lever where gas is coming out the air vents into the bowl but subsiding fast enough back into the tank not to flow over the edge. Takes me like 5 minutes to fill the tank that way but at least I get it filled to the top. Also found it helps to fill the tank from the other side of the Spyder. I put the pump on the right and come across the spyder with the handle. I then tilt the pump handle away from me. Almost like its upside down.
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala Red Metallic (Dark)

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I also have an RT tho an earlier version. I find if I hold the gas nozzle right on the edge of the hole I can get the fuel to just below the rim and I stop there. My mileage isn't as good as yours and a smaller tank(older VTwin) but I am still good 160 miles.
    That's what I do

Spyder Garage

I fill it until the auto pump pops off and go on my way. I am not worried about filling it as much as possible. I can stop down the way for more when it is needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I can top off the tank the way I like to, then I can watch the digital fuel gauge and take note of when the first icon changes. From that point, it gives me a good idea of how far I can go on that tank of gas. If the icon jumps in the 30's then I know my MPG will be around 35. If it jumps in the 70/80's then I know I'm getting 40+.

Spyder Garage

I don't worry about it. I may have to stop sooner, but so what? I probably need to anyway
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

I have an aux tank thats plumbed directly into my main tank via the breather. This means I can fill the main tank completely full, plus the aux tank as well of course. two and half times the range.
    NenthornCropped.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wmjweber45 View Post
    I don't worry about it. I may have to stop sooner, but so what? I probably need to anyway
    I believe I'm kinda with you on that one. "P" stops become more frequent these days.