Spyder Garage

Default Dilemma - looking for comfort improvements??

I currently have a 2016 Spyder RTL improved with Bajaron’s sway bar and shock adjusts.

I ride pretty spirited and just completed a 4,600 mile trip through the Smokies. Fantastic riding there!

I’m looking for some improvements for comfort and more “in the seat” feel. I’ve been looking at trading for a 2019 F3L but not too sure about the price difference of $4K or more.

If I spend $2,200 for Tri-Axes bars and and an Ultimate Tall boy seat, will I get a close version of what an F3L would feel like?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanY View Post
    I currently have a 2016 Spyder RTL improved with Bajaron’s sway bar and shock adjusts.

I ride pretty spirited and just completed a 4,600 mile trip through the Smokies. Fantastic riding there!

I’m looking for some improvements for comfort and more “in the seat” feel. I’ve been looking at trading for a 2019 F3L but not too sure about the price difference of $4K or more.

If I spend $2,200 for Tri-Axes bars and and an Ultimate Tall boy seat, will I get a close version of what an F3L would feel like?
    If you still have Kenda tires, they are HARD riding because of the high PSI they need .... nothing can fix that except AUTO tires with much lower PSI ..... The -sway-bar shouldn't effect comfort ..... However the Spring adjusters will ( even at the lowest setting ) WHY ? ...when you compress the Spring it will have LESS travel - less travel will make the Spring stiffer and less comfortable ..... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like BK says. There's a trade-off between performance and comfort. You just gotta choose which one you want.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DanY View Post
    ...If I spend $2,200 for Tri-Axes bars and and an Ultimate Tall boy seat, will I get a close version of what an F3L would feel like?
    I test rode a 2016 F3 Ltd in 2016 and at the time had 15K miles experience on my RT-S. IMO, with the Tri-Axis Bars and an Ultimate Tall Boy seat you're still going to have an RT, although a spiffed up one. It is not going to fit and ride like an F3, no way!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I'm a bit of a newb to the forum and Spyders. We were contemplating about which handlebar would work better for us, shoulder and wrist pain from the original/stock RT. We decided on the Helibars, no regrets at all.. For the seat, I ordered an airhawk cruiser LG, Julie still had her original airhawk, similar design, different material and manufacturer. we rode the Cascades last weekend, major improvement.

Spyder Garage

So I guess the real question hereis have you ridden an F3 and did you like it? If the answer is yes then you know what you have to do. No matter how much money you throw at an RT it will still be an RT. They are bulkier and have a higher center of gravity. Good luck on your choice.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

The '20+ RT sits lower than the pre-20s RTs. I have a 20 RT with BajaRon Sway Bar, Elka front shocks, and car tires for radically better handling than OEM. I also have a Pedal Commander & PV3 tuner to keep up with my insane 2-wheeled pals. For comfort, I have helibars and a WildAss air cushion. I ride very spirited and have the RT set up to handle my 'style' of motoring. It's not an F3 but I doubt it's not far from equal in performance.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White