Spyder Garage

Default Oil leak around dipstick

I started having oil spew down the right side of bike when riding. Doesn’t leak when sitting in garage. Took it to dealer, because they had just changed the oil, figured they overfilled or pinched o-ring. They checked everything and said somehow my screw in part of dipstick was slightly warped. They clamped it and ordered me a new one. It didn’t leak again until I finally got the new dipstick and it started spewing oil again, this time worst. I drove it all the way to Sturgis and back with the old, clamped dipstick, no problems…4623 miles actually. Decided to check the oil, put on the new dipstick, leaking again! Anyone ever have this issue? This is my 4th Spyder since 2008, never had an oil leak issue.

Spyder Garage

If the o ring is nice a flexible and the mating surface is square to the treads and smooth I don't know why it would leak!!! The threads aren't a insert, I don't think are they? If they were I would say maybe the insert was not tite and they were leaking by there!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I’ve been studying the new dipstick, quiet a bit of oil came out from until the rubber seal, but makes me wonder is something causing the oil to force out around the dipstick? I put the old one back on, with the clamp. I will clean her up tomorrow and ride it and see if it does it again.

Spyder Garage

When you screw the dip stick on dose it thread on well, or is it going on dry? May be some thing going on with the threads and it's not seating right on the o ring!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Dry, well as much as I can wipe it down from all the oil in cap. Maybe rubber seal inside cap bad? The old dipstick didn’t start doing it until after they changed the oil. It is a 2016, 22000 miles and not leaked before. But weird new one is doing same thing.

Spyder Garage

I'm betting over filled no matter what the dealership said. Been down this road.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderwoman View Post
    Dry, well as much as I can wipe it down from all the oil in cap. Maybe rubber seal inside cap bad? The old dipstick didn’t start doing it until after they changed the oil. It is a 2016, 22000 miles and not leaked before. But weird new one is doing same thing.
    I'm guessing, dealers usually have the LOWEST paid employee assigned to OIL changes etc. .... annnnnnnnnnnnnd they cross-threaded the Dipstick and that's why it's leaking ... which also leads me to think it's probably over-filled .. jmho .... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My dipstick leaked from day one. My first oil change at 3K was done by the dealer and it still leaked. I'd noticed the oil level was always high but the service manager told me that was normal. (dumb ta dumb dumb) I removed 2 qts and the oil level on the dipstick then dropped to normal. The service department was putting in 7 qts of oil in the 1330's. That was in mid-2014. I hope they've learned by now that the 1330 only takes 5 qts. No more dipstick oil leaks. If I recall 2014 was the era of mismarked dipsticks. My wife's and son's jeeps, a 2014 and 2015, both have mismarked dipsticks.

Spyder Garage

If oil is going up and out the dipstick, its overfilled. Simple as that.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame