Spyder Garage

Default Stuck in 2nd gear while riding

Has anyone experienced the F3T sticking in gear while riding? I was riding on beltway and had to slow down due to traffic jam, not a complete stop, just dropped down to about 25 mph. Spyder automatically downshifted to 2nd gear just fine, but when traffic started flowing, I was still stuck in 2nd gear, rolled on, RPMs up to 4500, just would not upshift. Had to put hazzards on to get to shoulder. Finally got it in neutral, could also get in reverse, but could no longer get into first. Cut engine off, few minutes later all was well. Fortunately, I got off of beltway onto safer road. It happened a few more times as I headed home; once after stopping at a red light; once after stopping at a stop sign. 1st gear fine, 2nd gear fine, then reviving RMPs, would not shift up any further, had to pull over cut off and wait. Absolutely NO warning lights, not in lull mode, no indication of problem during any of the failures. This happened once before and service said must have been a fluke because there were no error messages, but yesterday happened 3 times within 2 hours. Taking back to service ASAP. Just curious as to whether anyone else has had this experience.

Spyder Garage

No codes?? Did you check the arm hooked to the post coming out of the transmission to make sure that was tight and working right? There have been some people with issues with switches and such!! Oil and filters have been changed with the right oil?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Past history would suggest the gearbox position sensor may be at fault. But do not rule out a left side handlebar shifter assembly.

Spyder Garage

Just had service in June; not mechanically inclined; I did manage to make it to the dealer earlier today and had to leave it. No codes, bu they think it may be a bad paddle shift/switch.

Spyder Garage

I will definitely post the resolution when it's fixed; service has called me a few times and stated they need to reach out to a BRP Spyder tech.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmTam View Post
    I will definitely post the resolution when it's fixed; service has called me a few times and stated they need to reach out to a BRP Spyder tech.
    Are the dealer mechanics not properly trained or is this normal that seem almost all issues say ' have to talk to BRP technician'?. It would seem if you are going to sell a product you should be trained in how to maintain it. Maybe I am being too critical, but just seem strange.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    Are the dealer mechanics not properly trained or is this normal that seem almost all issues say ' have to talk to BRP technician'?. It would seem if you are going to sell a product you should be trained in how to maintain it. Maybe I am being too critical, but just seem strange.
    Yes too critical in this case. This is not maintenance this is a warrantee issue, the dealer identified the issue and now has to call BRP and explain it to them (who what why) to cover the repair under warrantee because it is BRPs call not the dealer. Dealer is doing their job in this case so we have to give them credit where credit is do. Got the bike in and same day it was looked at and they are calling BRP.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Might be, but don't see anything to indicate warranty item.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Sorry for the delayed post! Shifter went bad, dealer repaired under warranty! :2thumbs

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank You

Hey a big thanks for getting back with the information on your Spyder. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CanAmTam View Post
    Sorry for the delayed post! Shifter went bad, dealer repaired under warranty! :2thumbs
    Please let me know exactly what was fixed in your case? I have had this same problem since last August and dealer keeps taking the "try this / try that" approach - even with BRP involved - when I feel they should be checking the obvious regarding "shifting"...the left-hand multi-function switch, or gear box sensor. There was a TSB on the left-hand multi-function switch, yet dealers tell me that my VIN is not involved...yet I have all the same problems / shifting that the TSB describes.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GWHIZZ View Post
    Please let me know exactly what was fixed in your case? I have had this same problem since last August and dealer keeps taking the "try this / try that" approach - even with BRP involved - when I feel they should be checking the obvious regarding "shifting"...the left-hand multi-function switch, or gear box sensor. There was a TSB on the left-hand multi-function switch, yet dealers tell me that my VIN is not involved...yet I have all the same problems / shifting that the TSB describes.
    This is a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay old post .... you should PM Him .....good luck .... Mike