Spyder Garage

Default Atlas throttle lock

My wife bought me the Atlas Throttle lock for my birthday.I was wondering if anyone else has one on their Ryker?TIA

Spyder Garage

There's a few threads here about them, I reckon at least 3 besides this one in the Ryker sections.

Just put 'Atlas' in the search box (top right of the page, just below the Lamonster Logo ) & then click the Search Titles Only box from the drop down list below it before you hit the little Search emblem: -

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...archid=2583654

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yes. Installed one awhile ago. Haven't really used it. Roads here in the mountains too twisty.
    But easy to install.

Spyder Garage

Yep, been riding with one for 2 years. I wouldn't make a trip without it. Works great. Early on, the contact pad came off during a long trip rendering it inoperable. In a moment of unusual creativity, I cut a very small section of rubber fuel hose, flattened it and super glued it in place. It has worked fantastic ever since and holds the throttle in position better than the original supplied pad. It's amazing what you could think of when you're in the middle of nowhere with a mechanical challenge

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RykerUSA View Post
    Yep, been riding with one for 2 years. I wouldn't make a trip without it. Works great. Early on, the contact pad came off during a long trip rendering it inoperable. In a moment of unusual creativity, I cut a very small section of rubber fuel hose, flattened it and super glued it in place. It has worked fantastic ever since and holds the throttle in position better than the original supplied pad. It's amazing what you could think of when you're in the middle of nowhere with a mechanical challenge
    Same thing happened to me on Day 2 of an 8-day trip. Poor design in my opinion. I got some electrical shrink tubing at a hardware store to soldier on.

Got rid of it for Rostra electronic cruise control.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vtxbilly View Post
    My wife bought me the Atlas Throttle lock for my birthday.I was wondering if anyone else has one on their Ryker?TIA
    Unlike the cruise control on your car which is electronic and will automatically adjust the throttle to maintain your selected speed, the Atlas Throttle Lock will only lock the throttle in a preset position.

And when I say it “locks” the throttle, it actually only holds the throttle in position. It does this by forcing a small plastic wedge up against the throttle control assembly right next to the throttle.

So to use it, accelerate to your desired speed and press the lock button. The plastic wedge is forced up against the throttle control assembly and holds the throttle in that position. To disengage it, simply press the unlock button. A word of caution here. Due to the excellent engine breaking of the Ryker, you will want to have your hand firmly on the throttle before releasing it to avoid the sudden slow down of the bike. I should note that even when "locked" you can still roll on and off the throttle manually.

As I stated earlier, because the Atlas Throttle Lock is manual and not electronic, you will need to make what I call micro adjustments to the throttle. On a flat level road, it will hold your speed pretty consistent. But if there is a rise in the road, your speed will begin to drop. The steeper the rise, the greater you speed will decrease. You will need to roll on the throttle to get back to your original speed.

If there is a decline in the road, your speed will increase and you will need to roll off the throttle. On most road surfaces the speed difference will only be + or – a few miles per hour. That for me is no big deal.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

My concern with a throttle lock is safely.