Spyder Garage

Default F4 Windshield with or without vent?

Need info. I am looking to buy the 25 inch stock with added width. Not sure about the vent. For those who bought the F4 did you go with or without the vent.
    Thoughts greatly appreciated.

Thad

Spyder Garage

I got the F-4 shield with the vent. It lets more air in and is adjustable, but a lot of air comes up from bottom of shield anyway. I'm not so sure the vent is necessary. A vent can always be added later.
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

My opinion, 100% go with the vent !!
    When you open it, the air moving through it will help lessen the buffeting in front you a bit and
    will give you a little bit more air movement in hot weather.
    Love these windshields !!!
    Not sure which bike you have, if its an RT (I had a couple RT's before my F3), you want to make sure it's short enough to see over the windshield in the low position and
    when you raise the windshield, then your looking through it.
    I'm on an F3, Got the 21 inch. I'm 5'5". the top of the shield is just below my eyes. Tall enough for me to see over it and the wind goes over my full face helmet.
    So I don't get the buffeting from the wind hitting the top on my helmet.
    I like looking over the windshield and not through it, but everyone is different.
    Rain does sheer off the windshield pretty good.
    Hope this helps ya in your decision.

Stay Safe,
    Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

It basically comes down to finances, Thad.

If you can afford the $80 for the vent, get it. You can then try it fully open, part open, or fully closed to see if anything works better for you. We are all different, and have different thresholds, so what works for one person re the vent, may not necessarily work for you. You won’t know till YOU try.

If you can’t afford the extra $80, get the stock screen without the adjustability.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Get the vent. Tall windshields cause backdraft from behind. The vent open reduces it alot.
    2018 F3 Limited , Oxford Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JP58 View Post
    Get the vent. Tall windshields cause backdraft from behind. The vent open reduces it alot.
    Get the VENT
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Went without a vent on ours. Then again, you failed to mention what year your Spyder is. Ours is a 2014, and has the adjustable side deflectors, plus I got rid of those barn door mirrors. Overall, we do fine for airflow.

Spyder Garage

Had the vent on the shield on all my bikes/trikes as to have what little airflow it provides… this is Texas..we need air flow.
    An additional benefit of the vent is to minimize the backdraft pressure, as posted earlier here.

I loved that F4 windshield as it can be cleaned with paper towels and water or windex… these items absolutely will not scratch or harm the shield. I never did put any type of wax on it. The clarity of the shield is excellent and rain beaded up/dissipated nicely. Pricey but worth it.
    That shield is on my “next accessory” list for my new Spyder.

Let us know what you decide and how you like it.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I am new to the Spyder world, but have had many different shields on many other bikes. I can say that IMHO, the vent is way worth it. My last two shields and buffeting on my helmet, but I just cracked the vent and all buffeting goes away.

Only once did I regret it. This huge yellow butterfly hit my vent and splattered all over my chest. Not a problem though as the rain the next day of the trip took care of it.

TOm

Spyder Garage

I went with the taller & wider windshield. My wife didn't like all the air she was getting in her face. I did get the vent and I can feel the difference in wind drag with the vent open, especially in windy conditions. I also run the windshield all the way up to give her the most air protection. For my use I'm glad I got the vent.
    2021 RTL Chrome Deep Marsala
    HELI Bars
    Garmin Zumo XT
    USB power port
    Front fender lights & Sequential turn signals
    Front LED Auxiliary light
    Flashing brake module TricLED
    Baha Ron sway bar
    belt tensioner
    RLS muffler

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Made decision to go with the vent. Ordered the F4 Customs-Spyder RT 25", tint, wide (2.5" per side) with the vent.
    Thanks for the comments. They helped with the decision.

Thad

Spyder Garage

We purchased the taller wider windshield with the vent and also added the adjustable air deflectors below the mirrors. Makes a big difference as to amount and direction of air flow we receive. Seems to be more "customizable air flow" then stock. Chris

2021 RT Limited
    2021 Spyder RT Liminted , Marsala Red in Black

Spyder Garage

Thad and Papa103; I have a 2021 RTL. Did this windshield mount using the same mounting screws/hardware? Looking at the 28” and wider shield with vent! Does the width cause any issues with turning/ hitting anywhere? Just want to be able to remove stock and install using the stock mounting? Thanks for your responses.
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Thad and Papa103; I have a 2021 RTL. Did this windshield mount using the same mounting screws/hardware? Looking at the 28” and wider shield with vent! Does the width cause any issues with turning/ hitting anywhere? Just want to be able to remove stock and install using the stock mounting? Thanks for your responses.
    Yes they use the stock mounting; have had the 28" on my 2014 for 5 years turning/hitting.

Ride Safe!

Spyder Garage

Get the vent !! It will help with back pressure. I had one on my F3. Loved it

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the information. Will look at purchasing and getting installed for the upcoming riding I have planned.
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don60 View Post
    Thanks for all the information. Will look at purchasing and getting installed for the upcoming riding I have planned.
    Don, it’s not precisely what you were asking, but I have an old 25” F4 from a previous F3. It is wider than the stock ‘21 RT screen by around 2.5 inches each side. I have adapted it to fit my ‘21 RT by adding a couple of extra mounting holes, which makes it the equivalent of F4’s 28” tall screen for the ‘21 RT. It comes nowhere near fouling the bars on full lock, and I have Helibars which are taller than stock and rotated well forward. I interchange the stock screen and the F4 frequently while I decide which way to go, and the swap takes 5 minutes max, using the same hardware.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Peteoz; thanks for that information. Along with the mounting using exiting hardware, the wider windshield was a concern. Thanks again.
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Spyder Garage

I went with the standard (25") height, wide with vent. No problem installing the F4 and glad I went with the vent. Wife loves the extra width. I want to thank all who provided information.

Spyder Garage

I had the 25" and did not like looking through the windshield, now have the 21". Make sure you measure, watch the video on their website. F4 windshields with the vent is the way to go IMO.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-06-2022 at 01:09 PM. Reason: they're = their

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by duke50 View Post
    I had the 25" and did not like looking through the windshield, now have the 21". Make sure you measure, watch the video on their website. F4 windshields with the vent is the way to go IMO.
    Yeah, it’s all relative, duke. Screen heights are so individual. I can comfortably see over the top of the 28” on my ‘21 RT

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.