Spyder Garage

Default Devil's Highway - actually a pre-ride report; now done!

Since my 15 day trip in July we have only taken a few day trips. But in 2 weeks I am taking another extended ride. This one will be with some of the same guys that I did the Black Hills ride with. But this one is only 4 day and much closer to home.
    This is a ride I have been wanting to do for a long time, but just never got around to it. Highway 191 in Arizona (formerly Highway 666, the Devils Highway)

Best Scenic Roadway in Arizona!
    Coronado Trail: The Devil's Highway
    A biker's dream!

Looking for a new adventure? Come to our lodging in Alpine, Az and get to know one of the best scenic roadway. The 123 miles of pavement between Springerville and Clifton feature 460 curves skirting the eastern edge of the Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests is called the Devil's Highway.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Just got back this afternoon. Trip was 1126 miles with elevations from 4500-9900 feet. Averaged 38.4mpg with entire trip running 87 octane. Weather was real nice, mostly in the mid to high 60's, with yesterday at the Morenci mine being in the high 70's. Was a great trip. We based out of Springerville, AZ and rode in western New Mexico, and extreme eastern Arizona. All together there were 13 of us in our group. I was the only Spyder, a Honda ST, a Goldwing, a BMW GS, and the other 9 were all BMW K1600. We had riders from AZ, CA, MT, and TX.

The copper mine (open pit) is and incredible sight to see. It is at the very bottom end of the Devil's Highway. Front there to Alpine, AZ is just under 100 miles. During the entire trip (on a Saturday) we met 20 cars and 12 motorcycles, so the riding was great no crowding like Tail of the Dragon an others. Parts of the road were a little rough as they are getting ready to re-surface it, which they typically do every 4-5 years. The scenery is spectacular. We were a week or so too early for the really bright fall colors. Parts of the forest were burnt, thanks to careless people.
    IMG_6993.jpgIMG_6999.jpgIMG_7002.jpgIMG_7006.jpg
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

It surely IS one of the great rides. I got back last Monday after riding 3 days with 7 other bikes in Eastern Arizona. We did 191 from Springerville to Morenci and back to Springerville one of our riding days. It was 117 miles each way with lots and lots of 10-15 MPH curves. Weather was fantastic. And, like you, we experienced very little traffic. Our group had riders from Arizona, Mississippi, S. Dakota, Colorado, Michigan, and Texas. All trikes. Fun times..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I love 191 from Alpine to Morenci. That was the first really technical ride I did on my 1st trike, a !990 Honda Goldwing. Worked me to death on that road. I still loved it and beautiful scenery.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

We took 191 to Alpine then took a left onto 180 over into New Mexico. Took that all the way south to 78, back into Arizona over to Morenci, then turned north back to Springerville. If you have ever ridden from Wickenburg,AZ up to Yarnell that is how 78 drops into Clifton, just south of Morenci. Great route and nice ride.

Spyder Garage

WOW Sounds like a great ride. I'd love to be able to join a ride like that, but nothing ever comes up in my neck of the woods.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    We took 191 to Alpine then took a left onto 180 over into New Mexico. Took that all the way south to 78, back into Arizona over to Morenci, then turned north back to Springerville. If you have ever road from Wickenburg,AZ up to Yarnell that is how 78 drops into Clifton, just south of Morenci. Great route and nice ride.

Sounds like we enjoy riding a lot of the same roads. Last year our Eastern Arizona ride took us from Springerville through Morenci to 3-way and over to New Mexico on 78 then back to Alpine..... Just opposite the direction you did this year.

One day next week after some of my snow-bird friends get here, I'm leading a group up through Payson, Strawberry, Pine, and down to Cottonwood for the night. Then to Jerome for a little shopping and on to Prescot, Wickenburg, Cave Creek, and back to Mesa. It's not a lot of riding for 2 days, only about 400 miles total. But we travel through some very beautiful country with lots of mountain twisties. We are truly blessed here in Arizona to have some great riding that can be done all winter long (most of the time). But, shhhhhh! Don't tell anybody. Don't want the crowds here...... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Living in Chino Valley, those are some of my favorite roads for day trips. Just west of Congress about a mile is a place called Nichols West. Great place for lunch.