Spyder Garage

Default Looking for Can-Am Dealer Transmission Repair

I live in Nashville,TN area I am looking for a second opinion on transmission problem on 2014 Rt Spyder SE6.

I took bike to Clarksville,TN and was told they found two codes but did not write them down. They flashed the ECM and advised if shifting issues came back the transmission would have to be replaced. I am not convinced that is correct diagnosis so I am looking for second opinion.

I bought the Spyder from Pitbull in Springfield, MO. If no one recommends a Spyder dealer closer I will load the bike and head to Springfield about 500 miles one way.

Thanks for any referral

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................

Update #1: I have found another Spyder dealer near me. I spoke with service manager explaining my past experiences with the other dealers. He assures me he has two good spyder mechanics if they cannot figure out problem they will contact BPM. I have an appointment Wednesday, October 6th.

I am in the process of making video with GoPro of dash to capture the behavior of transmission.

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................

Update #2: Picked up Bike yesterday 11/10/21. I have only test driven bike a few miles but here is what was done. The engine wiring harness was replaced. Part number 420266783 the cost was $400 for harness and $500 labor. This sure beats the heck out of the other CanAm dealers saying I needed a new transmission.

I am going to try and post youtube link I made from the dash showing what was happening and photo of what I think is part of the wiring harness. Here is the most odd encounter I have ever had with a motorcycle dealership. They refused to let me meet or talk to the mechanic who fixed the bike. I wanted to thank him and shake his hand and give him a hundred dollar bill for going the extra mile in determining what the problem was. Again they refused to let me talk to him in fact the service manager even gave me a smug grin when I told him I wanted to give the mechanic a tip for fixing the bike.

Here is the video I provided to Service writer. He shared it with mechanic and the mechanic shared with CanAm tech support.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-11-2021 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Transmission Was Not the Problem turns out to be electrical - Fixed Update Display/order

Spyder Garage

Precisely what is the transmission problem?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Sorry for late response and thanks for replying. What I am looking for is a recommendation for a good Spyder mechanic.

The transmission is jumping in and out of selected gear randomly. Sometimes it will actually change to another gear. There is no consistency to the transmission behavior. I just got the bike back from Motorsports Spyder dealer after they changed the oil and checked the bike over.

I am going to mount a GoPro in a position to video the instrument panel to capture what is happening. I have no interest in trying to fix this bike myself. Just looking for a good mechanic that can advise is the bike worth fixing or just sell for parts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It is not unheard of for an unscrupulous dealer to install a defect in a customer's vehicle so they can have them return for additional repairs. Not saying that happened to you but it has happened to others. Return business is how repair shops make money. The problem may not be in the transmission if it's an SE6 as you say. I'd start with checking out the paddle shifter. And by the way, those codes you were referring to are not lost, they can be recovered. They should have been listed on your service order/receipt.

Spyder Garage

I agree with you on the codes. I specifically asked for the codes, I even called another dealer 100 miles away in different direction would they pull the codes their response we don’t have the equipment to pull codes. Now keep in mind I am no spring chicken nor a dummy dealing with repair shops. I have an extensive background with troubleshooting in the telephone industry.

If I don’t find a reputable spyder mechanic I will just wait till spring and try again. This is my wife’s bike and she could care less if it’s running or not. I would like to get it fixed and convince her to sell it to someone who will ride it and enjoy the experience.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SE6 and Transmission Problem

I called my local Spyder Dealer and he said that some 2014 - 2016 RTs have had transmission failures. Some had an issue with the SE6 finger shift control. Some had a complete transmission failure. Also any code that the Spyder had are still there. A Dealer that has the BUDS and the most current software can check your Spyder.

That being said, hopefully your Dealer had a certified Spyder Tech check out your Spyder. A complete Transmission replacement job, parts and labor goes for about $3,500.00. I hope that the transmission did not fail. "Maybe a broken rubber band". .........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks Little Blue for the info. I could not even get a quote from my local dealer on transmission rebuild. The past almost two years has been a nightmare for needing anything form anyone. You cannot even go out to a restaurant that something is in short supply from hired help to food supply. I am sure it will be a nightmare finding a mechanic that knows how to rebuild transmission then getting the parts.
    Sad times in USA

Spyder Garage

It smells to me like you are cursed with a real sh***y dealer. First question out of my mouth would be, "Did you use B.U.D.S. to recover all the codes that are saved in the Spyder's computer systems?" Second question, "If not why not? Third question, "What were the multimeter readings in the test(s) of the gear position sensor?" It's a test and/or replace system. Fourth question, "What test(s) did you run on the paddle shifter and what were the results?"
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with everything JayBros said. Plus shift engagement can be reset and learned and monitored using BUDS.
    IMG_20210925_194503080.jpgIMG_20210925_194511673.jpgIMG_20210925_194451673.jpg
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    It smells to me like you are cursed with a real sh***y dealer. First question out of my mouth would be, "Did you use B.U.D.S. to recover all the codes that are saved in the Spyder's computer systems?" Second question, "If not why not? Third question, "What were the multimeter readings in the test(s) of the gear position sensor?" It's a test and/or replace system. Fourth question, "What test(s) did you run on the paddle shifter and what were the results?"
    X's 10 ..... I honestly don't recall reading about 2014 trans FAILURES here on this forum ( which is by far the largest Spyder forum ) ..... I regularly ride a loop that includes a two mile mountain climb in which I have to keep my 14 RT in second gear @ 5500 to 7000 rpm's the ENTIRE time. She operates flawlessly ..... good luck .... PS I'm thinking paddle shifter or gear position sensor ...... jmho .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jay for the info. I will try to remember to update post when we have come to conclusion with this bike.

Spyder Garage

Default RT Transmission Issues

My Dealer said that BRP will never Release What was the 'REAL Issue' was on our Spyders. The Dealers are told to 'Get The Facts' leave the rest To the BRP Engineers. That's just the way BRP wants to handle the problems.
    So Now you Know the Rules of the BRP Game.

It's okay by me and I have only had two issues on my 2016 RTL. They were fix/repaired in timely fashion. So for that I say 'Thank You BRP'. ..........

Spyder Garage

Default Transmission Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Rich55 View Post
    [B]Update: I have found another Spyder dealer near me. I spoke with service manager explaining my past experiences with the other dealers. He assures me he has two good spyder mechanics if they cannot figure out problem they will contact BPM. I have an appointment Wednesday, October 6th. .....

That is the type of results:.......

"We Spyder Forum Members love to Hear About.".....

So Please Keep Us Posted. ........
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-02-2021 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Default Update ????

Today is October 7, 2021.
    Any Updates on Your Spyder Transmission. .......
    Let us know. .......

Spyder Garage

And, as another Tennessee Spyder owner, I'd love to hear of the "good" servicing dealer.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

FYI--I was having some bizarre shifting issues and it turned out to be the left hand control where the shifter paddles reside. Mine was covered under the BEST warranty but the dealer told me the control was about 400.00 and a few hours to install.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a paddle shifter issue.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default I Agree

My guess is that the SE6 Paddle shift control is the issue.
    Time will tell.
    Hurry up and let us know. .....

Spyder Garage

Default Any News

Any updates on your Spyder Transmission Issues?
    Just hadn't heard back from you. ........

Spyder Garage

Following...

You didn't say what dealer you took your bike to in Clarksville. I have a 2014 RT L se6 and
    Mid South Motorsports in Clarksville has been taking care of my bike since it was a pup.
    I have never had any problems with Mid South and feel that the service dept treats me
    honestly and fairly. I have confidence in their ability to take care of my bike for me.

I agree with previous posters that the problem lies in the paddle shifter or gear position
    sensor, or maybe the wires somewhere in between.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Any updates on your Spyder Transmission Issues?
    Just hadn't heard back from you. ........
    9/25 was his last post. I am also interested as to what the problem was/is. I hope he reports back soon.

Spyder Garage

It was Mid South Motorsports in Clarksville and I was really disappointed with their assessment and lack of interest in the bike. They have done a lot of mtce on this bike from tires,brakes, brake fluid change adding aux lighting but going forward I doubt I go back to them. The dealership Sloan's Motorcycle that fixed the problem is in Murfreesboro,TN. Only problem with this dealership they will not let you meet the mechanic or know his name. So when I go back I will have no way of knowing if he still works at the dealer. I wanted to thank the mechanic for going the extra mile contacting BRP tech support and finding the problem and give him a new $100 bill for saving me money and fixing the bike but service manager just laughed in my face and said know you can't talk to him he is rebuilding an engine.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    9/25 was his last post. I am also interested as to what the problem was/is. I hope he reports back soon.

Picked up Bike yesterday 11/10/21. I have only test driven bike a few miles but here is what was done. The engine wiring harness was replaced. Part number 420266783 the cost was $400 for harness and $500 labor. This sure beats the heck out of the other CanAm dealers saying I needed a new transmission.

I am going to try and post youtube link I made from the dash showing what was happening and photo of what I think is part of the wiring harness. Here is the most odd encounter I have ever had with a motorcycle dealership. They refused to let me meet or talk to the mechanic who fixed the bike. I wanted to thank him and shake his hand and give him a hundred dollar bill for going the extra mile in determining what the problem was. Again they refused to let me talk to him in fact the service manager even gave me a smug grin when I told him I wanted to give the mechanic a tip for fixing the bike.

Here is the video I provided to Service writer. He shared it with mechanic and the mechanic shared with CanAm tech support.

https://youtu.be/ujtj9fm0v3A

Spyder Garage

The whole wiring harness...that's a lot of work for $500....hope it all goes well in your test rides!!
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Update

Thank You for your Updates. I hope everything is still running good.
    I have not heard of any Dealer doing this but maybe it is for peace of mind.
    My local Spyder Dealer let me talk with the shop mechanic.

Maybe they can schedule something for you.

Stay Healthy and enjoy your Ryde Time. .....