Spyder Garage

Default No throttle response - faulty throttle module??

Good afternoon everyone:

2021 RT-L. It is stock except I added a GPS unit, which should have no bearing on my current issue.

I brought it in for the 3K service last week; while it was there, I asked them to investigate the throttle which was sticking slightly.
    I had the issue with the sticking throttle when I picked the bike up (different dealer), they took a quick look and said it was new
    and after a few hundred miles it should loosen up. It didn't.

Dealership changed out the "throttle module" (which is what the "service advisor" called it). Tech made a short test ride, all was good.
    I was unable to pick it up over the weekend, as I was out of town for work. Saturday, they tried to move it around the shop to get
    another customer's bike out, the throttle wasn't working at all.... twist the throttle, nothing happened. Also, no codes of any kind were thrown.

Could the new throttle module have been faulty and gone out? I'm just throwing it out there, as to what the issue could be. They are scratching their
    head trying to come up with a cause; they are also not filling me with confidence in their abilities. They are a new franchise, but claim to have BRP
    certified techs.

Any ideas?

--Exco

Spyder Garage

I would need to verify, but believe throttle ops function can be tested with BUDS2, assuming the tech is qualified to accomplish the task. If BUDS2 is not able to test the throttle, sorry.

I say it can, as it shows throttle opening and I would expect, that once running, it will show throttle input vs actual throttle body movement. No movement at the throttle body says no throttle worky.

Want to add, my guess though is Mr DA Tech, improperly routed the wire harness, the handlebars were turned and either the connector pulled apart, or the wires got ripped out of the connector, then again, a new part that failed is possible too.

Spyder Garage

Tell the dealership that since it's a new bike you want them to open a case with BRP and get it fixed ASAP.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The old relyability Spyder bytes again.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Excoastie,

Actually nothing to do with reliability - it is more a situation of incompetant wrench's. An issue that happened on some previous models was the pin connector that allows all the info to travel to the servo which moves the butterflies had faulty pins and required replacement of the pins to carry the message. These machines are throttle by wire. If they have been a bit hamfisted with the new "throttle module" they may have damaged the pins while installing/removing the old one. May not be the problem but has a history. Ask them to check the Boss web.

End of the day - not your problem, they have to sort it for you. You just have the inconvenience of not having your ride.

cheers
    Robby

Spyder Garage

Tell them you want a loaner while they sort out and fix the problem on your Spyder.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone! I will be waiting for them to open this morning, as I can't get them on the phone.

I will ask about opening a case with BRP, and I will try to find out if it was an incompetent tech that caused the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Tell them you want a loaner while they sort out and fix the problem on your Spyder.
    I would love for them to give me a loaner, they don't have any units in stock, however. They seem to focus on side by sides, probably have 100+ units in stock.
    I am heading to work (and out of town) for a few days, hopefully they'll have it fixed when I get back on Friday or Saturday.

--Exco

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
    Good afternoon everyone:

2021 RT-L. It is stock except I added a GPS unit, which should have no bearing on my current issue.

I brought it in for the 3K service last week; while it was there, I asked them to investigate the throttle which was sticking slightly.
    I had the issue with the sticking throttle when I picked the bike up (different dealer), they took a quick look and said it was new
    and after a few hundred miles it should loosen up. It didn't.

Dealership changed out the "throttle module" (which is what the "service advisor" called it). Tech made a short test ride, all was good.
    I was unable to pick it up over the weekend, as I was out of town for work. Saturday, they tried to move it around the shop to get
    another customer's bike out, the throttle wasn't working at all.... twist the throttle, nothing happened. Also, no codes of any kind were thrown.

Could the new throttle module have been faulty and gone out? I'm just throwing it out there, as to what the issue could be. They are scratching their
    head trying to come up with a cause; they are also not filling me with confidence in their abilities. They are a new franchise, but claim to have BRP
    certified techs.

Any ideas?

--Exco
    I would say it's more likely a case of an intermittent issue that they did not diagnose. That the original module was good. The gremlin went away when they installed the new module. They may have disturbed a connection that is faulty or inadvertently did something which temporarily corrected the problem. Just guessing. It will be interesting to know what fixes this.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

They are telling me that the problem was a combination of a not properly connected "connector." I read this to as the tech was in a hurry and didn't have the the attention to detail that I would like.

They tell me that there was no damage to the wiring and that it is "a bad design" that allows it to not seat properly at times.
    When I got the bike home, I looked at everything the best I could without completely disassembling everything. I didn't see anything obviously still screwed up.

We will see how it goes, I haven't had the chance to ride in a few days, as I have either been at work or the weather was not cooperating. I hope to take it out within the next few days.

Thanks for the input everyone!

--Exco