Spyder Garage

Default Now or Wait Until Spring for First Oil Change?

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question. My wife's 2021 Spyder RT has reached 3000 miles and is ready for its first oil change. I plan on taking it to the dealer to get it serviced. Given that she's likely not going to ride much during the cooler months her Spyder is likely to sit in the garage all Winter on a battery tender. Is it best to get the oil change now or can we wait until next Spring for the oil change with no maintenance issue concerns?

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Well----- your going to get both side on this situation. I'm of the group that will say ---- why let partially contaminated oil sit for months in a crankcase with soft babbit bearings. Combustion produces acid in the oil and water also( of course additives in the oil are there to neutralize the acids). I'd rather have fresh oil and not have to start of the ryding season by waiting in line with all the other vehicles ( water craft, motorcycles, ATVs, ect) that will have appointments for service.
    The folks will soon post up.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I am getting my first service next week, and it will sit for most of the winter with fresh oil in it. I agree with the above posts.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

If she is going to ride it more this year, and its only a few 100 miles. I would schedule that 3000 mile service closer to when it goes into hibernation. I agree with the others and have as fresh as possible oil in it.
    My wife's new 2021 Sea to Sky demo had 3365 miles on it when we purchased it. That is when they did the first oil change. I have been told by dealers that as long as its under 4000 miles - no problem.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Not to defer, but the owners manual has specific info answering your question.

Myself, I consider oil inexpensive vs engine damage, but when dealers are doing the oil change it is a pretty steep expense.

Absolutely your call how to proceed, as each has benefits and drawbacks.

Spyder Garage

There are other items to be checked at 3,000 miles besides the oil change. I agree get it changed/serviced and be ready for the first warm weather.

Spyder Garage

Another card on the pile for change the oil and your ready to ride fresh and clean when the new season is upon you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

It really depends on what you have in the crankcase. If you are using BRP (or anyone else's) blended oil. I would change it. The acids that can form over the winter are not good. If you are using a good, full synthetic oil. There is much less chance that you'll get any issues by waiting. I can only speak for Amsoil and my extensive experience with this particular situation. But I would assume that other, high quality full synthetic oils would be able to hold up well.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I’d schedule now. You can still take it in till November since it’s 3 weeks out right now. Spring time is way longer wait time. (Wheelers, SXS, spyders and jetskis) it’s getting close to just sled season now. Spring is to unpredictable anymore to schedule 3 weeks out.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think it's............... unanimous.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Now or Spring

Change your Spyder oil and filter Now.
    That is how I do it.
    You ask and have received the answer.

Have a wonderful day......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Change it now since time is near and put in a good synthetic oil.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I still have about 4K miles to go before my next change is due. I am going to keep riding and not change it out. My usual service now is in March when the temps get back in the 70's. I am also hoping I can get a pair of K9's for the fronts. They have been scarce of late.

No winter lay up for us any more. We can ride most every day of the year now.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sept 25, 2021

The same question comes up every year with boats also. There are mixed feeling on the subject. Many like to replace the oil when putting the boat to sleep for the winter so that any impurities wont sit in the engine all winter. Others like to start the new summer with changing the oil. Six of one, half a dozen for the other. LOL.

Spyder Garage

Default New RT with almost 2000 miles, do I change now or wait till next year.

So as much as I tried to get to 3,000 miles and then get on a yearly fall change schedule, should I do my initial 3000 mile change no or wait. Is there a "break in oil" that is put in at the factory any different than what I will put in if I use BRP oil? If it is the same, I should change it and maybe switch to Amsoil. All kinds of opinions I expect, all respected.
    2021 RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BryanSD View Post
    I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question. My wife's 2021 Spyder RT has reached 3000 miles and is ready for its first oil change. I plan on taking it to the dealer to get it serviced. Given that she's likely not going to ride much during the cooler months her Spyder is likely to sit in the garage all Winter on a battery tender. Is it best to get the oil change now or can we wait until next Spring for the oil change with no maintenance issue concerns?
    Do your oil change now.

I have my local can -am dealership do the oil on my spyder, when it is in hibernation/storage. Then when the Spring season gets here, my spyder is ready for the riding season.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I still have about 4K miles to go before my next change is due. I am going to keep riding and not change it out. My usual service now is in March when the temps get back in the 70's. I am also hoping I can get a pair of K9's for the fronts. They have been scarce of late.

No winter lay up for us any more. We can ride most every day of the year now.
    Despite living in South Dakota, I ride all year as long as there is not snow on the ground. My wife on the other hand likely won't be riding from October through March...despite having heated seats. One more incentive to move after retirement!

2017 Spyder RT Limited - Champagne Metallic Chrome
    - Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Next Gen LED Bumpskid, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights
    2021 Spyder RT Limited - Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    - Replaced 2021 Stock Handlebars with F3 Stock Handlebars, BRP Adjustable Driver Backrest, Wolo Bad Boy Horn, SPYDERPOPS Double Vision Daytime Running Lights, SPYDERPOPS ""BRAKER BARS" Brake/Run Lights

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all that responded. Looks like more people suggest doing it now than waiting until next Spring. Winter starting to come a little quicker than I had anticipated...so may need to wait until Spring after all.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlippinUid View Post
    So as much as I tried to get to 3,000 miles and then get on a yearly fall change schedule, should I do my initial 3000 mile change no or wait. Is there a "break in oil" that is put in at the factory any different than what I will put in if I use BRP oil? If it is the same, I should change it and maybe switch to Amsoil. All kinds of opinions I expect, all respected.

Change your oil now and put in a good full synthetic motorcycle oil that can be used for the "Wet Clutch and transmission & engine system,and that Meets and Exceeds JASO MA2 API SL,

I use Valvoline Full Synthetic SAE 10W -40 Motorcycle 4-stroke this meets and Exceeds JASMO MA2 API and is designed for specially for High Performance Motorcycles.

It is formulated for the specific needs of high performance 4 stroke motorcycles including high temperature, high rpms, and wet clutch systems.

Full synthetic formula for the ultimate protection against wear deposits and corrosion that can decrease engine performance.

Developed with advanced additives to resist oil thickening and maximum horsepower.

Outstanding wet clutch protection for maximum power transfer and smooth shifting .

When you do the oil change : change the oil filter, and oil rings, and etc. put in fuel stabilizer, and put on battery tender.

I have had good luck with the Valvoline Full Synthetic Oil.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

A vote to go ahead and change oil out before storage. When spring comes around and the shops are books up -- you will be ready to ride.
    ----
    Joe

2023 F3

Spyder Garage

I just bought a 2.5 gallon jug of Shell Rotella T6 5wt-40 for $75.00. At my local O'Rileys. That's 10 qts. !! Enough for the next 2 oil changes. I could barely lift the jug off the shelf.
    Just following the recommendations of many site members. At $7.50 per quart; that is a whole lot better than a lot of the "premium" oils at 10-12 dollars per quart.