Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What average miles before Brake pads need replacement?

What is the average miles on the brake pads for a Cam Am spider RT?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Not about miles (riding styles vary too much) but thickness https://youtu.be/Csji-2tfwAQ

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Average mileage for brake pads can vary by quite a bit so I don't really know if there's actually an average. Like Bfromla mentions that many different riding styles exist that can shorten or extend brake pad wear. Get yourself a small mirror like a dentist's tooth mirror and a small flashlight and you can check your brake pads for their thickness. Also, keep a check on your discs for marks indicating your pads need replacing. You may hear the scraping sound if you let them go too long. By the way, pads are not difficult to replace. Bleeding your system is also not difficult. BajaRon sells all the parts and supplies you would need to change pads. And, there is a week's worth of reading on this site about the subject.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Average mileage for brake pads can vary by quite a bit so I don't really know if there's actually an average. Like Bfromla mentions that many different riding styles exist that can shorten or extend brake pad wear. Get yourself a small mirror like a dentist's tooth mirror and a small flashlight and you can check your brake pads for their thickness. Also, keep a check on your discs for marks indicating your pads need replacing. You may hear the scraping sound if you let them go too long. By the way, pads are not difficult to replace. Bleeding your system is also not difficult. BajaRon sells all the parts and supplies you would need to change pads. And, there is a week's worth of reading on this site about the subject.
    X's 10 ..... I have a 2014 RT and ride hard in the twistie's in very Hilly area's .... I did my rear Pads at 30.000 mi. and I was lucky I did ... I had maybe 1000 mi. and would have hit metal .... I bought Ron's EBC pads and now have 35,000 mi. on those and I can still see over 2mm left .....I will examine them closer in November .... I did the Front s Pads at 43,000 mi. and could have gone at least another 5000mi , but I changed them anyway ( again w/EBC ) ..... Ron's EBC pads definitely last longer. But this was on my RT, you may get more --- but you also may get less .... you MUST check your own ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the information.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

I best way to figure that question out, is get on the floor and check them out!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    best way to figure that question out, is get on the floor and check them out!
    Very simple and well put.

Spyder Garage

As you can see mileage figures on brake pads will be all over the board. I ride a lot of twisties and I use downshifting and engine braking a lot. My rear pads needed replaced at 27,000, but the fronts were still in decent shape. I went ahead and replaced all three sets at 27,000 with EBC. The front pads get more cooling air and run a lot cleaner than the rear pads. A lot of heat from engine, exhaust system, etc. passes over the rear pads plus look at the dirt build up on the rear wheel compared to the front. Rear pads live and work in a crappy environment.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

At 14000 miles my front pads were done. Right outside pad wore down to metal and scored the rotor. All other pads - front and rear - had maybe 1000 miles left. I replaced the rotors and pads with EBCs. I ride hard and use all the straights I can before braking for the curves. As stated already, it all depends on your riding style and you need to do a visual check occasionally.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    At 14000 miles my front pads were done. Right outside pad wore down to metal and scored the rotor. All other pads - front and rear - had maybe 1000 miles left. I replaced the rotors and pads with EBCs. I ride hard and use all the straights I can before braking for the curves. As stated already, it all depends on your riding style and you need to do a visual check occasionally.
    WOW, the mileage difference between your Pads and mine are HUGH ( see my post #4 above ) ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do the rear brake pads wear faster than the front? I took both my front pads out and looked at them. They were good at 21,000 miles. I have not taken the rear pads out.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Do the rear brake pads wear faster than the front? I took both my front pads out and looked at them. They were good at 21,000 miles. I have not taken the rear pads out.
    Usually they do because more pressure is applied to the rear pads than the front pads. That's the way the spyder is set up to function. Safety reasons.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Usually they do because more pressure is applied to the rear pads than the front pads. That's the way the spyder is set up to function. Safety reasons.
    .... also don't forget you have FOUR Pads for the front and only TWO pads for the rear ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

when you look at your pads the minimum thickness is 1mm. That is really thin and I replace mine before they get that thin. Also the factory pads are thin to begin with. The rears will wear out quicker then the fronts maybe twice as fast.
    The pads are super easy to replace, esp. the fronts. Don't forget to get some anti squeal paste to put on the backs of the pads. Cover the entire backs. Any auto parts store will have it. Otherwise follow the directions that Ron sends with the new pads,they are very good and very complete(another reason to buy from him). Let us know how it goes and if you have a question during the process let us know.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze