Spyder Garage

Default How hard is it to fit a Headlight flasher?

Thinking of putting on a Kisan Pathfinder headlight flasher on my 2015 RTL. Anyone have info on how hard the installation, how well it works, etc. Have LED headlights.

Spyder Garage

Hey...

If you have basic (but quality) wiring skills then you should have no issues. The headlights are not on the CANBUS system from what I am told. I am looking to do the same thing but I will be putting them on the driving lights instead of the main headlights.

I have installed these quite a few times for myself (Goldwings) and for others as well. Study your wiring before you start cutting. I think someone sells a kit though if you are not up for the cutting and splicing part, just plug and play.

MAKE SURE you get a version of the flasher that is LED headlight compatible. There is a difference.

These are a life saver, literately, for me. See them in action on my wing... https://youtu.be/bN_1Gu1_2Rc

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Thinking of putting on a Kisan Pathfinder headlight flasher on my 2015 RTL. Anyone have info on how hard the installation, how well it works, etc. Have LED headlights.
    Kisan has an LED specific version which is what you need, if you don't already have it. They have a P & P version but someone here said it didn't work. If you get the P & P version from them send me the wiring diagram. I can give you guidance about the hookup. I have one but I got it before they had the P & P version available. I wired it in to operate both high and low beam, which is not legal. I'm pretty sure I've figured out how to install it so it will operate only on high or low beam. High is the better option.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicFingers View Post
    Hey...

If you have basic (but quality) wiring skills then you should have no issues. The headlights are not on the CANBUS system from what I am told. I am looking to do the same thing but I will be putting them on the driving lights instead of the main headlights.

I have installed these quite a few times for myself (Goldwings) and for others as well. Study your wiring before you start cutting. I think someone sells a kit though if you are not up for the cutting and splicing part, just plug and play.

MAKE SURE you get a version of the flasher that is LED headlight compatible. There is a difference.

These are a life saver, literately, for me. See them in action on my wing... https://youtu.be/bN_1Gu1_2Rc
    Tim
    Not sure will work on driving lights as described. Modulation usually restricted to high beams & most have a photo cell for daylight operation only. Just a thought

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Not sure will work on driving lights as described. Modulation usually restricted to high beams & most have a photo cell for daylight operation only. Just a thought

It will work without issue.

Before I installed my first one of these modulators on one of my Wings, I set it up on the bench to test it out. The long and short of it is that the Module does not know what "side" (high or low) of a duel filament bulb you are connecting it to. It makes it a little more confusing with the Spyders as they only have one filament regardless of your "high and low" intention and an internal eyelid moves around to accomplish the High/Low change so the control module has to be wired into that system properly. Switching to "low beam" will turn off the modulation, high beam turns it on providing it's daylight.

I just prefer to leave that system alone and simply put it on the driving lights. It will be on when ever the driving light are on (I never turn them off) and will go into a steady mode when the light levels are low just like they normally would. It also gives a little extra margin of safety should something disastrous happen to the module even though these are designed to fail back to the "on state".

This is my plan anyhow. Others can chose their own path. But it will work without issue.

Tim

3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'd have to reread the Federal Reg but I'm pretty sure the reg would not allow driving lights to be modulated. It specifically references headlights, but I don't know right off hand if it is limited to headlights.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    I'd have to reread the Federal Reg but I'm pretty sure the reg would not allow driving lights to be modulated. It specifically references headlights, but I don't know right off hand if it is limited to headlights.
    Oh yes... that part... AGREED there! I don't think that, and I can't say for sure at least around here, the LEO's probably wouldn't stop you over that. If they were flashing alternately back and forth then yes. My point was that they don't have to to be connected to the headlights high beam to work. Any bulb will do. What you choose is up to you.

Tim

___

Spyder Garage

Not to steal the thread, but..... I was a firm believer in modulating headlights, and had them on the last several motorcycles that I owned over the last 20 years or so. I had planned on getting the same for the Spyder RT, but after riding the RT for awhile, I decided I really don't need it. Maybe its the two wheels up front and the LED headlights but I seem to be far more visible to car and truck drivers than I ever was when on regular motorcycles. Modulating headlights are annoying to riders or drivers in front of you, and I have had more than one experience of where a driver mistook the modulation for an emergency vehicle with flashers, pulling over to the right and probably getting pissed off when they saw I was not an emergency vehicle. So for now I ma sticking with the OEM headlights and not bothering with the cost or hassle of installation of modulation.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Kisan has a model specific to the Can Am with the headlight eyelid. Anyone have experience as to how well they work?

Very Active Member SpyderConvert's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Baron14y View Post
    Kisan has a model specific to the Can Am with the headlight eyelid. Anyone have experience as to how well they work?
    I, too, had Kisan modulators on several of my two-wheelers and truly believe in them. Earlier this year I purchased one of the CanAm specific modulators from Kisan and installed it. Having had previous experience with them, after installation I buttoned everything back up. I started the RT and hit the high beam switch and the headlights immediately switched back to low beam! I contacted Kisan and explained what had happened and initially they blamed it on an ECM issue. I told them that the headlights were NOT hooked into the computer and they sent me a replacement. I installed the replacement and, prior to putting it all back together, I started the RT and hit the high beam switch......NOTHING! Contacted Kisan again and they agreed to a full refund when I returned both units.
    2015 RTL, BajaRon Swaybar, LaMonster LED Headlights and Foglights, LaMonster Spydercuff, LaMonster LED mirror wrap, Magic Mirrors, HMT Brake Light
    2015 RT Ltd. , $" extension Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderConvert View Post
    I, too, had Kisan modulators on several of my two-wheelers and truly believe in them. Earlier this year I purchased one of the CanAm specific modulators from Kisan and installed it. Having had previous experience with them, after installation I buttoned everything back up. I started the RT and hit the high beam switch and the headlights immediately switched back to low beam! I contacted Kisan and explained what had happened and initially they blamed it on an ECM issue. I told them that the headlights were NOT hooked into the computer and they sent me a replacement. I installed the replacement and, prior to putting it all back together, I started the RT and hit the high beam switch......NOTHING! Contacted Kisan again and they agreed to a full refund when I returned both units.
    Thanks for the info. Think I will stay as I am for right now.