Spyder Garage

Default The motorcycle turns off while parked or driving?

Good morning, greetings from Poland. I do not know English and I am helped by Google translator or a son who is rarely at home. If a similar topic already exists, please direct me to it. I have a problem with my motorbike and cannot find the fault. After the spring service (filters, oil), the motorcycle starts & idles, then turns off when it warms up - i.e. I start it cold and until the temperature reaches five lines, nothing happens; then when the engine heats up, it turns off and I have to start it again.

Regardless of whether it is standing or driving, after the first shutdown, the next shutdown occurs much faster, there is no rule - it can turn off after a minute or after three minutes. Connected it to the computer and nothing detected, throttle restart done and still the same. I am looking for any information that would help me fix the fault. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pj7fc7PKpM
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-20-2021 at 02:25 AM. Reason: goes out = turn off ;-)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hello Zibi. I watched the YouTube video. I believe that you have an electrical problem that is caused by either an old and weak battery, or possibly loose or dirty electrical connections at the battery. I'll explain why. When you restarted the engine halfway through the video, the starter motor tuned slowly and I heard indications of a weak battery based on the sound it was making. I also saw that all of your instruments on the display turned themselves off and then restarted. That is an indication of a momentary drop in battery voltage. I also noticed on the video that when the engine shut off, the headlights went off by themselves and then came back on. That is another indication that electrical power was momentarily interrupted.

The battery charging system of these engines does not produce very much power when the engine is at idle. What I believe is happening is that your battery can supply enough power for a short period of time. As the engine coolant temperature rises, it will reach the point where the electric radiator fan is automatically turned on. At that point, I believe that the battery does not have enough energy to operate the electric fan along with everything else. Then there is another momentary battery voltage drop that is enough to stop the engine.

You can check the electrical connections at the battery to ensure that they are clean and tight. If your battery is 4 to 5 years old or older, it is time to replace it anyway. If this was my motorbike, those are the items that I would check. Good Luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

I didn't think about it, I'll try to check it tomorrow. If you got the diagnosis, if you could be nearby, I invite you for a good Polish cold vodka

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Zibi View Post
    I didn't think about it, I'll try to check it tomorrow. If you got the diagnosis, if you could be nearby, I invite you for a good Polish cold vodka
    Also the Spyder doesn't have to Heat up ( especially 5 bars - that's just wasting gas ) .... after starting wait 1 min. and drive it ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, I am so used to heating the engine. Dread to think what would happen if it went out during a turn and the power steering stopped working

Spyder Garage

Another possiblity is your stator is getting weak. Check your voltage output at the battery. My stator was just replaced. It was only putting out .5 volts dc. When your stator is getting hot it could be failing. When cold it works ok. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

All good advice!!! Good job guys!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I warm the engine to just one bar and that is enough. The clutch wants warm oil to work properly. If you tried to take off with a cold engine, you would have difficulty shifting, or just getting it in gear.

Oh...and make that Sobieski Wodka Polska. I could so easily relocate to Poland, but your language is very hard to learn. I know, I tried.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I warm the engine to just one bar and that is enough. The clutch wants warm oil to work properly. If you tried to take off with a cold engine, you would have difficulty shifting, or just getting it in gear.

Oh...and make that Sobieski Wodka Polska. I could so easily relocate to Poland, but your language is very hard to learn. I know, I tried.
    After a few shots, you won't need to know the language It is true that the Polish language is not easy. I am ordering a new battery and let you know

Spyder Garage

Hi. Today I connected the motorcycle with wires to a running diesel engine and strange things started to happen. It went out and then it started itself, not bad enough, something bad is happening to the starter. This can be heard in the video for 21 seconds. I have not even touched the starter, in the film still on the old battery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc8mF5DwHZw

Spyder Garage

A few days after I changed the battery there was no voltage drop during engine shutdown (constant 13.7V) Ground wire unscrewed, cleaned and tightened again. The fault persists, only now additional lights and information are lit. Any feedback is appreciated. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiaqktMitVE

Spyder Garage

The engine stall problem has been resolved. It was the fault of an unoriginal Gianelli silencer and accumulating carbon deposits on the valves.
    https://studio.youtube.com/video/AnY_m9PEd2Y/edit
    https://studio.youtube.com/video/0XJos_70WnA/edit

Spyder Garage

Double check clean & tight battery connections maybe addD9639529-06E5-4203-A020-0D920EF3F6FF.jpeg between battery post & terminal, not just on bolt through terminal. Might need dealer with buds system to clear some codes. Was a VSS error on the YouTube- can be something else at fault or slow to resolve itself.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 02-08-2022 at 02:52 AM.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Also the Spyder doesn't have to Heat up ( especially 5 bars - that's just wasting gas ) .... after starting wait 1 min. and drive it ..... Mike
    I'm with Mike. The only time prolonged start-up idle was beneficial was winter in Flagstaff, Arizona (7,000 feet elevation). My company truck was parked outside and it needed some time to defrost windshield.

Otherwise, when cold, it is running richer...not the best for catalytic converters, let alone carbon accumulation. If it is necessary to to so, then best to use Top Tier Fuel.

On the Ryker and now my water-cooled Triumph, a 15 MPH mile tour my neighborhood for one mile allows moderate speeds until fully warmed up.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 02-08-2022 at 10:38 AM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black