Spyder Garage

Default Confession, My Wife And Daughter Called Me Out.

Sharing a laugh with everyone, I bought my Can-Am Ryker Rally Edition,and let it set for ten days making up excuses why I wouldn't ride it.One day my wife and daughter had been out shopping and my five year's old grandson.They came home and walked into the house laughing,I asked what was so funny and my wife asked me did you buy that three wheel thing to sit in the yard or ride it? My daughter was ROTFLHAO. I made up my mind in that moment I was gonna ride that bike.To make a long story short, fear is something you have to get over. It really brought back a memory I had in 1968 at 18.5 years old, I had just gotten to Vietnam and was on my way to the 27th Marines and a Marine handed me a M-16 rifle on the back of a truck, and I almost didn't take it and something in the back of my mind said you might need this!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good for you brother.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You survived 'nam, you will survive a three wheeler. Go forth and ride!
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

So, did you ride and enjoy? You may find it very nervous and "dodgey" until you relax your grip, bend your elbows, and let it move a bit under you. Then let the wind therepy begin! You'll probably need it.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

'Nam Helicopter Pilot....I was told, many times, in flight school. If you ever go out to that Chopper and you aren't scared of it......Don't get in!
    Turn around, go back in.....turn in your wings. Respect for danger is healthy. It will make you a better and safer rider.

Spyder Garage

I would've said it's a collector's item lol

Spyder Garage

The only way your going to get use to it is get your butt on it and get some seat time!! Relax and take baby steps, get out in the country and kick back, if the bike is set up right for you then the rest is just getting use to it!!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

I am loving it now,i'm living again at 71 years old.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    'Nam Helicopter Pilot....I was told, many times, in flight school. If you ever go out to that Chopper and you aren't scared of it......Don't get in!
    Turn around, go back in.....turn in your wings. Respect for danger is healthy. It will make you a better and safer rider.

ziggy,

Thank you for your service. We are all grateful for young men with your patriotism.

I knew an older guy when I was in college in the early 1970s. He flew 'dust-off' in Vietnam. What did you fly?

I wanted to fly helicopters SSOOOO BAD when in high school. The Bell Helicopter Flight Test facility was about a mile east of our house. The sky was always full of Hueys, and later in the 1960s, Cobras. Unfortunately, I'm essentially blind in one eye - - -

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Beanz1 View Post
    I am loving it now,i'm living again at 71 years old.
    Good for you. Take your time, ride local till you get comfortable. Point it down the road, keep light touch on bars, don't feel that you have to steer it; it will pretty much steer itself on a straightaway. Hang in there, you've got some good years to go. I'm 87 and still riding.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

After 67 years on two wheels, I was having a terrifying time converting body and brain to what a three wheeler does and doesn't do. My learning curve was long and steep and I was hesitant to try new territory.
    My wife would not ride with me until she felt confident that I was confident on the Spyder. She sensed my apprehension and one day as I was taking the Spyder out, she said, don't come back unit you have ridden a curvy road. We have many of those close by, so I held my nose and dove into one. Wow, I did it and survived! That instantly propelled me a lot farther up the learning curve.
    The next time, she demanded I get onto a freeway. I didn't tell her this, but I was thinking, I am not ready for that, I have not gone over 50 mph yet. Being the obedient husband, I chose to get on a freeway, but where I knew there was an exit a wee bit down the road. I stayed in the right lane, gradually building speed....55, 60, 65, 70, 70+. I did it and I took an exit much farther down the road. The off ramp had two lanes and the car beside me was an Oregon State Patrol and that was a 55 mph freeway. Great, the first time I go over 50 and I'm getting a ticket. But he kept driving on. Whew!
    So there you have it Beanz1 - hold your nose, dive in and you'll come out the other end was ahead of where you began.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
    ziggy,

Thank you for your service. We are all grateful for young men with your patriotism.

I knew an older guy when I was in college in the early 1970s. He flew 'dust-off' in Vietnam. What did you fly?

I wanted to fly helicopters SSOOOO BAD when in high school. The Bell Helicopter Flight Test facility was about a mile east of our house. The sky was always full of Hueys, and later in the 1960s, Cobras. Unfortunately, I'm essentially blind in one eye - - -

Regards,
    Joe T.
    Thanks.....I was a Bus Driver, I flew troops in and out of the LZ. Resupply missions, etc. etc.
    I also own a Mosquito helicopter which is lighter/smaller than my Ryker.