Spyder Garage

Default water under the windshield ??

I have only had my 2011 Spyder RT a couple of months , it only had 13,000 miles on it , just like new really ... but... a few days ago I was out riding and ran into a short light rain storm , the water came up over the Frunk , and Under the bottom of the Windshield , over the Dash , and hit me straight in the face , same as having no Windshield at all......... anyone ever had this happen ??? and Idea's what to do about it ??? I'm sure I can make something to fix this , but just wondering if there is Already something to fix this ????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't experienced that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    I have only had my 2011 Spyder RT a couple of months , it only had 13,000 miles on it , just like new really ... but... a few days ago I was out riding and ran into a short light rain storm , the water came up over the Frunk , and Under the bottom of the Windshield , over the Dash , and hit me straight in the face , same as having no Windshield at all......... anyone ever had this happen ??? and Idea's what to do about it ??? I'm sure I can make something to fix this , but just wondering if there is Already something to fix this ????
    That might be due to the early version of the RT windscreen.

Before 2013, the RT windscreens had no vents in the bottom of the screen - you should be able to see the two holes in the bracket supporting the screen just outboard of the lower lifting arm (the arm that's prone to breaking that noboot makes a billet replacement for... ) - if your windscreen isn't vented the screen will cover those holes. . As a result of this lack of vents, the airflow deflected over & more importantly here, under the windscreen team up to behave sorta like the airflow over an aircraft wing; the lower pressure airflow deflected over the top of the screen tends to 'suck' the air up & out of the space between the back of the windscreen & you once it clears the top of the screen, while the airflow on the underside of the screen increases in pressure & velocity so that it will carry more debris & rain etc, which it then carries well up into the space between the back of the screen & your body, so you get buffeted around the body/head a bit more and you get rain in the face!

But the newer screens have the two holes over that mounting bracket opened, which allows (more) air to flow directly into the stream of air blowing up underneath the screen, disturbing that airflow, reducing its pressure & velocity, and actually aiding in the creation of a low pressure & (seemingly) still-air bubble immediately in front of the ryder - an air stream & bubble that isn't moving fast enough or with enough pressure to carry rain up to the level of your face, instead dropping it on top of & out to the sides of the dash cowl, aided by the little wings behind/below the bottom corners of the screen!

You can get & fit a/mkt vents that will achieve the same result as those OE Vents, they dosn't need to introduce a whole heap of airflow; you could get & fit units like the Baker Air Wings sold by one of our Sponsors here that would let you direct air into that bubble & achieve the same result; you could (carefully) mark, tape up, & then cut those holes in your existing screen; or you could get & fit a 2013+ windscreen with the holes already in it! Regardless of how you achieve it, directing more air in to disturb the laminar air flow underneath the windscreen will stop you getting so much rain in the face!

Or if you prefer, you could fit a 'laminar lip' to the top of the windscreen so that it deflects more of the airflow coming over the front of the screen up & over your head, allowing you to ryde with the windscreen in a lower position, which would also reduce the velocity & pressure of the airflow coming under the windscreen.... but doing that might just mean that you end up dumping even more rain & exhaust fumes, road slush etc down the back of your pillion rider's neck!

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2021 at 09:02 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

thanks folks , I am new to all this Spyder riding..... and I am an Old Guy , but... thanks again

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sledge View Post
    thanks folks , I am new to all this Spyder riding..... and I am an Old Guy , but... thanks again
    Not sure what you mean by “Old Guy”. He!!, we’re mostly all old guys and gals, although not all will admit it.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Old! I’m only a quarter century

Spyder Garage

Only a quarter of a century????????? didn't know anyone that young rode a Spyder???? LOL
    Keep up the safe riding..
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

I'm still a young man at 78, or at least that is what I tell myself. Switched from 2 wheels to a new Spyder RT a few weeks after my 78th birthday. I decided that I didn't like my self image as an old guy Goldwing rider so I needed something young and hip.
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

You are all figuring your age wrong.
    For me, I add my 2 numbers together (63), so I am only 9 years old. Heck, not even into my double digits yet and when I get there, at some point I will be back to single digits. Then of course, when I hit 99, I'll only be eighteen years old. YEAH. Because I know when I hit 100, that brings me back to being only 1 years old and I'm sure by that time, someone will be feeding me and changing my diapers....LOL

This way, I get to act like a 9 year old and have FUN.
    Enjoy your life, you only live it once.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I'm still a young man at 78, or at least that is what I tell myself. Switched from 2 wheels to a new Spyder RT a few weeks after my 78th birthday. I decided that I didn't like my self image as an old guy Goldwing rider so I needed something young and hip.

Hahahaha....

I am 54. Been driving a Goldwing since I was 16. My dad always had a Wing and I got to drive it 3 or 4 times a season over the years. I had a low time without a bike in my early 20's as my wife's parents did not like motorcycles (Donor-Cycle or Murder-Cycle) and , well, she was hotter than a Wing (still is) but she loved riding with me on my dads and we ended up getting one in my late 20's.

At no time have I ever thought of the Wing as an old mans bike or me as an old man (though my body pains tell me otherwise) for riding one. I have a love affair with my Wings that is only topped by my wife.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

70 here , and I know .... I never thought I would live to be this Old..... but.. I did..... and I am just trying to enjoy everyday . and I do Love my Spyder. and I am glad I found this site , with you folks who all know more about this than I do. thank you all for the help with my questions.