Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker CVT Drive belt flat spotted! Should I ride more aggressively?

I had my Ryker fixed at the dealership cause someone backed into my ryker in a parking lot and they told me that my drive belt is spotted cause I drive it too gently…. I have 6000km…. Ican feel it when I drive slow (under 40). Should I be more aggressive or it is just pure bs…

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I look forward to hearing some responses on this one!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like b.s. to me...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

What does this "SPOTTED" mean?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your Ryker uses a clutch like a snowmobile and many ATVs. If you do alot of slow speed driving, the belt rides in the lower part of the drive clutch most of the time and slips, causing flat spots on the belt. This will cause shuttering and surging. When starting from a stop, you should be pretty aggressive with the throttle. Gentle starts create slipping, which causes flat spotting also.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Spotted? Like your belt has a weird STD?
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

I know where my belt has been, but here is a pic of mine. It has spots.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    From the idler pulley?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Let's see a picture of a CVT belt with spots off of a Ryker.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The dealer also told me I should be good to finish the season wich i intent to ride until november. 200$ for the belt plus I assume another 200$ if I have it replace by them…. Lesson learnt! I ll be more agressive on starts it s just I hate the « clunk » noise! It looks like something is wrong but it is what it is!��*♂️

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    From the idler pulley?
    I didn't have it adjusted properly probably. I don't know why it looks like this. I also want to see the spotted belt.

Spyder Garage

My feelings are this is like a snowmobile, and those clutches have to be cleaned and maintained after a while, if they should stick or hang up and the clutch spins on the belt it will leave a flat spot on the belt, and it will feel like a flat tire as it spins around! If I owned one of these machines, I would learn how to get into the area and give that whole area a good cleaning, remove the clutches and service them, so that they would smoothly, and even go so far as cleaning the belt with dish soap, rinse, dry and reinstall! I know it sounds like a lot of work, but if want performance, and want to make things last, that's what you have to do! I do my clutches on my sleds once a year, and it's worked for me for years!! There are a lot of moving parts in that assembly, and they work together with each other by centrifugal force, there are some wearable parts that I would hope would be replaceable, the reason I say that is I know what it cost to replace a clutch in my sleds, it hurts!! Good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

After adjusting, it appears that the bracket actually has to be tweaked for the roller to sit squarely on the belt. I shouldn't have to tweak the bracket, but I have taken over this thread and I apologize.

Spyder Garage

After adjusting, it appears that the bracket actually has to be tweaked for the roller to sit squarely on the belt. I shouldn't have to tweak the bracket, but I have taken over this thread and I apologize.
    We are talking about two deferent issues!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Construction tech View Post
    I had my Ryker fixed at the dealership cause someone backed into my ryker in a parking lot and they told me that my drive belt is spotted cause I drive it too gently…. I have 6000km…. Ican feel it when I drive slow (under 40). Should I be more aggressive or it is just pure bs…
    Most likely B.S. From what I understand, driving aggressively puts more strain on the belt. In other words if you are not a burn out junkie, your belt will last, most likely, than 12,000 miles. In other words too shallow tread means under size belt width. I have a Garmin Bike computer. When I ride my Ryker my trip mph average is always between 32-40mph. I ride mostly on county roads. It'll be coming up on checking my CVT belt VERY soon at 12,000 miles. New belt is in basement. I don't think I'll need to change it, just have the warning code turned off. I'll have to email my mechanic, with a picture of my Caliper on width of belt, to see if he agrees to that .....Then again maybe I'll have to eat crow...maybe it Well be worn down.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    Your Ryker uses a clutch like a snowmobile and many ATVs. If you do alot of slow speed driving, the belt rides in the lower part of the drive clutch most of the time and slips, causing flat spots on the belt. This will cause shuttering and surging. When starting from a stop, you should be pretty aggressive with the throttle. Gentle starts create slipping, which causes flat spotting also.
    Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    Most likely B.S. From what I understand, driving aggressively puts more strain on the belt. In other words if you are not a burn out junkie, your belt will last, most likely, than 12,000 miles. .....
    I think more than a couple of readers here might be needlessly getting a bit hung up on the use of the word 'aggressively', so maybe 'ASSERTIVELY' would be a better word choice!!

As Joel mentions, a LOT of slow speed driving &/or gentle starts means that these types of CVT belts can end up with flat spots, but you don't necessarily hafta drive/ryde 'madly aggressively' to minimise that; you just need to be assertive with your control inputs, and ryde with confidence, conviction & a degree of firmness!

Being 'too gentle' on your Ryker isn't going to be wonderful for it; neither is being 'too aggressive'

But there is a happy medium in there somewhere, even if it does mean you occasionally get to hear/feel those widely reported but generally recognised as being basically harmless 'clunks' when you start off!

So Ryde More & Worry Less - just don't baby it or thrash it!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-19-2021 at 08:24 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I would think that if you check it at 12'000 miles you might as well put on the New belt while its open.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    I would think that if you check it at 12'000 miles you might as well put on the New belt while its open.
    That all depends on what I get on the measurement. I've read that they will last longer than 12,000 miles. How long, who knows? I am taking into consideration (assuming) that the narrower the belt gets, the quicker it wears.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    That all depends on what I get on the measurement. I've read that they will last longer than 12,000 miles. How long, who knows? I am taking into consideration (assuming) that the narrower the belt gets, the quicker it wears.
    If he don't mind riding with a flat tire feeling! My self I can't stand it, it would be gone now!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Your Belt Drive System

Belt1.png

The OP's Belt Drive System

Belt3.jpg

Not the same thing. It just confuses the issue when we are reading from two, very different pages.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    if he don't mind riding with a flat tire feeling! My self i can't stand it, it would be gone now!
    >>>> "it all depends on what i get for a measurement" <<<<