Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryker Touring Storage and Luggage Options

My name is Tim Hayden and I'm new to the forum and just purchased my Can Am Ryker 600 last week. I'm underwhelmed by the storage options on the Ryker and would like to replicate what some of you may have done for storage on longer rides. Could you tell me what products you had to purchase and how you attach them to the Ryker. I appreciate any instructions & pics you can provide.

Thanks,

Tim Hayden
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2021 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Prefix after move - this is a 'What did you do?' question not a 'How To: DIY' guide. ;-)

Spyder Garage

You can make your own luggage system depending on how resourceful you are with your hands. And how much you willing to spend. I have Shad saddlebags I shopped around for. Best price was from motostorm.it in Italy. They ship fast to the US. It was a little over $400 w/shipping. I also bought 3p mounting brackets from them for maybe $150 I don't remember right now. I had a SW Motech topcase from my motorcycle I wasn't using already. I bought a luggage mount from slingmods.com. topcase bolted right up to the luggage rack and I fabled up the side mounting for the Shads.

Spyder Garage

You will need the max mount. That’s the first step.

I bought the Comie 32L trunk and am very happy with it. It is now $20 higher in price. It is the right size visually, at least to me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spyder Garage

As mentioned, the Max Mount is mandatory. I didn't like the extreme pricing from the OEM. Then I saw the Slingomods luggage set in real life and it ain't worth $750.

I am finishing up my DIY version of a rear rack using a Shad 42L top case w/ universal mount.

20210916_163311-1024.jpg
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

I was looking at this here: https://www.lamonstergarage.com/ips-...ker-lamonster/

But it's out of stock.

Spyder Garage

If your Ryker is a one up machine then your options are more that if it's a two up machine.

For one up then, as others said, get the max mount and go from there.

If two up then you'll need to get creative. One person here used some Harley support bars that mount to the side. I made some custom bent stainless tubing that connected between two locations and then used a hanging bag set and ran one strap under the passenger seat and the other ran over the fender right behind the passenger seat back rest.

Use the search tool to look up some of the ways we added storage.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1474780

Spyder Garage

Many good options allready posted, but I might add my solution as well for inspiration
    I have changed the set up since posting, now with 4 stainless loops on the brackets and 2 bungee cords to strap the bag. Makes for a really nice and quick procedure to take on and off the bag, litterally done in seconds

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...done-different

Spyder Garage

Some good options and advise above. There's not a lot of OEM options out there other than the Max Mount, Linq Accessory base and top cases offered, and you also have the Shad single side case. Other aftermarket options made to bolt on include the Slingmods 3 piece luggage set, but thats almost $1000 shipped. Then you have Lamonsters soft side luggage. This is why so many have come up with their own good creative solutions for storage. I did like some others here have done and I made up my own mounting bracket for a set of universal side cases that I purchased off of Amazon.

Since I already had the Max Mount, the Linq Accessory base and two Linq top cases, I made a bracket that would still allow me to use those top cases. It basically straddles and bolts to the Linq plate, and bolts to the Max Mount underneath utilizing the provided brackets that came with the universal side cases. The top cases are still quick mount & release, but the only downside to this mount method is that the side cases are not. To remove them the whole thing has to be unbolted. Other than that, its rock solid and it turned out the way I wanted it to.

2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Max Mount with Lamonster Garage IPS Rack (with optional saddlebag standoffs), GIVI 52 liter top case mounted on GIVI universal mounting plate, 2 Nanuk 915 cases (with added latch locks) bolted on saddlebag standoffs. Side cases can be taken off by removing 4 bolts. At first I was using Chase-Harper Sport throw-over saddlebags, but I wanted something that could be locked.

IMG_6085.jpg IMG_6086.jpg IMG_6087.jpg IMG_6088.jpg

2020 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

I use a plate over the maxmount for the topcase and for the a seat cushion and BMW brackets from SHAD on the side with the smaller SH23 cases ..so enough space for a 2up holiday tour ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by chris56; 02-19-2022 at 02:08 AM.
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    I use a plate over the maxmount for the topcase the a seat cushion and BMW brackets from SHAD on the side with the smaller SH23 cases ..so enough space for a 2up holiday tour ..
    Nice piece of fabrication!

Spyder Garage

Default Givi Top Case

Had a local company water jet out an adapter plate for a Givi Monokey universal plate, weld on rect tubing to stiffen the adapter. The adapter bolts up to existing holes under the max mount. Then added Givi 56L top case, big enough for two full sized helmets. Riding with the wife the rect tube has hit the rear fender, really need better shocks to keep it from bottoming out on potholes.

Spyder Garage

I was just looking for some extra storage for rain gear, gloves, and a jacket liner. The Nelson Rigg Commuter bag does that and even expands to fit a half helmet. So far, it's just attached to the Max mount using the straps provided, and is plenty solid. I can still use the backrest with the deluxe solo seat as well.

Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Riding with the wife the rect tube has hit the rear fender, really need better shocks to keep it from bottoming out on potholes.
    Do you have 2UP spring installed?
    2019 Ryker 900
    Goodies list: 2up seating with Can-am comfort seats and foldable back rest / Can-am handguards and deflectors / LinQ top case / Can-am tank bag / Elka Stage 3 rear shock / Baja Ron anti-sway bar / AdvancedSportTouring helmet locks / Providence cup holder w/ABC bottle cage / SlingMods parking brake lock / keyless "Duo" frunk lock / front fender sequential LED turn signal and running lights / brake light flashers / Shift Jockey w/Twisted Shifterz Shift Knob / rear turn signal mod

Spyder Garage

original stock spring.... want to go to Elka shocks all round - on the list of mods to do.

Spyder Garage
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

original stock spring.... want to go to Elka shocks all round - on the list of mods to do.
    Technically shocks only control the bounce. Springs control the weight. Sure you can go to higher performance shocks and they will control the weight "better" but you should look into the 2-up spring if you're riding...."2-up".

Spyder Garage

Riding with the wife the rect tube has hit the rear fender, really need better shocks to keep it from bottoming out on potholes.
    Have you adjusted the rear spring with a shock spanner wrench, I adjusted mine out 7/8" from the ring. Some have had no issues with passengers once its adjusted out, it all depends on total combined weight.

Edited: For some reason I thought it was the Rally version, and that tube does look pretty thick, so an adjustment most likely wont do it.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Technically shocks only control the bounce. Springs control the weight. Sure you can go to higher performance shocks and they will control the weight "better" but you should look into the 2-up spring if you're riding...."2-up".
    You are right about shock vs. spring however, when ordering from Elka you're not just getting a shock...you're also getting a spring matched to the weight you specify when ordering the shock.
    2019 Ryker 900
    Goodies list: 2up seating with Can-am comfort seats and foldable back rest / Can-am handguards and deflectors / LinQ top case / Can-am tank bag / Elka Stage 3 rear shock / Baja Ron anti-sway bar / AdvancedSportTouring helmet locks / Providence cup holder w/ABC bottle cage / SlingMods parking brake lock / keyless "Duo" frunk lock / front fender sequential LED turn signal and running lights / brake light flashers / Shift Jockey w/Twisted Shifterz Shift Knob / rear turn signal mod

Spyder Garage

Let's see how many comments i can respond to.... its the original shock, maxed out on the preload - not a 2UP spring. The stock spring/shock just won't cut it for the load and range of motion - guess i should lay off the donuts??? Yes the tube under the adapter is a bit large 1" tall x 2" wide (stock material they had on hand ) cutting into travel range. And nope not a Rally, went for the 900 and bought all the bolt ons to save labor $$$ installing myself. Saving for Elkas all around. they match the spring/shock for the weight and style of riding you like - will call and explain my shortened range of motion to limit the travel. For what its worth i've generated lots of designs utilizing springs of all nature over the years (~40) for work utilizing springs of all nature, compression, extension, torque, belleville - who can tell me what a belleville is? Most of the new hires i work with don't know what it is.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by n8dogg View Post
    You are right about shock vs. spring however, when ordering from Elka you're not just getting a shock...you're also getting a spring matched to the weight you specify when ordering the shock.
    Agreed, but if all they need to do is switch to the 2 up spring then they'll be saving money.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    Agreed, but if all they need to do is switch to the 2 up spring then they'll be saving money.
    True, I will repost my 2Up spring in the For Sale section if anyone's interested.
    2019 Ryker 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thayden10910 View Post
    My name is Tim Hayden and I'm new to the forum and just purchased my Can Am Ryker 600 last week. I'm underwhelmed by the storage options on the Ryker and would like to replicate what some of you may have done for storage on longer rides. Could you tell me what products you had to purchase and how you attach them to the Ryker. I appreciate any instructions & pics you can provide.

Thanks,

Tim Hayden
    Givi Top Case on Max Mount Rack

First, you will need to purchase and install the Ryker Max Mount Rack. Then you will need to purchase the Givi E251 Universal top plate to mount on your Ryker Max Mount rack. This is for the Monokey (not Monolock) series. I also used some galvanized hanger strap from Home Depot. I doubled it up for strength. The top case shown in the photo is from an adventure bike I used to have.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 08-04-2023 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many only see Thread titles, and post titles mess with Searching! ;-)

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If of a mind to keep simple/travel light, then footman loops and lashing straps allowed me to carry a small bag, jacket and even a 1 gallon fuel can.
    The Grand Canyon North Rim photo of Point Imperial was a 6 day, 1,115 mile ride.

1-footman loops.jpg
    2-footman loops.jpg
    3-under fender.jpg
    4-straps with footman loops.jpg
    5-bag only.jpg
    6-bag only.jpg
    7-jacket only.jpg
    8-jacket + bag.jpg
    3b-Perkinsville road to Drake 14 Sep 20.jpg
    21-Grand Canyon North Rim Point Imperial.jpg
    E2-Little Alien Inn, Rachel, NV 29 June 2020.jpg
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 12-03-2021 at 10:00 AM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black