Spyder Garage

Default Self-adjusting belt?

I recently re-installed my rear wheel after getting a new tire mounted. I noticed that the belt was pretty close to the sprocket flange but not touching it (less than 1mm). I had a plan to loosen to axle and reposition the belt on the center of the sprocket this weekend. I took a 100 mile ride yesterday and much to my surprise, the belt had moved itself out the center of the sprocket (in spec).

Should I be happy the belt repositioned itself or is this an indicator that something is not correct post-wheel reinstall?
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

The belt moves around a bit as the Spyder rolls along, particularly in Reverse. If you did not mess with the adjustment spacing when you removed and replaced your rear wheel and if you read pg117-118 of your operator's guide you will see that the belt retained its correct positioning. Had you attempted to set the belt to run in the center of the rear sprocket you might have created a problem for yourself.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

One thing you always want to check after installing your wheel back on and tightening your alxe is that the end caps don't wiggle after you are all tight! If they do then you have to loosen the axle and tap the axle forward with you wrench and a hammer till there tight then retighten the shaft! And like said above, that belt will float around a little, I look at mine about every time I ride it, habit I got into don't know why. Don't look at it after you have backed up, because it will scare you!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:26 AM.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The belt will wander a lot. That's why I argue if it's anywhere between the flange and the outer edge you're OK.There's a video around somewhere that shows how it moves back and forth while riding.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone who replied. I checked the belt a few times today on a ride and it was right where it’s supposed to be. When I got home, it was hugging the flange. Then it occurred to me what is probably happening. I back up about 25 feet to get into my garage. After reading JayBros reply, I suspect those two dozen or so feet in reverse are causing the belt to migrate towards the flange. What a relief. Thanks again everyone , especially JB!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-18-2021 at 08:21 PM. Reason: bent = belt ;-)
    Current Rides:
    2015 Spyder ST-S SM5
    2016 Honda Gold Wing ABS/Navi
    2022 Royal Enfield Classic 350
    2021 Royal Enfield Himalayan

Spyder Garage

I have where Joe Meyer of Squared Away recommendations putting tape over the adjusting caps/Allen bolts on the ends of the swing arm to ensure they remain in place when the axle is removed.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Drive Belt

YES, That is how I do it. So far my belt has been working and it has been within the specifications.....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue