Spyder Garage

Default Opinions on Synthetic Oil For RSS SE5??

I know there is a lot of post on oil that is run on your spyder. I don't see a lot of mention that "a lot of us" run a full synthetic oil in the SE5 SEMI AUTO transmissions.
    I an tired of the foamy oil from BRP and I will give this PITA bike one more summer to impress me.
    I am going to go with the Amsoil metric 10w-40 full synthetic but of course the BRP dealer says I shouldn't use full syn. cause of the clutches. They did say that I could substitute the BRP semi for another similar grade motorcycle oil though.

Any opinions on the full synthetic in a SE5 RS or GS
    Mine is a 2011 RSS SE5 with about 40000 KM on it.

Spyder Garage

Full synthetic all the way for my ‘08 RS.
    105 K and running strong.
    Amsoil is what I have used from day 1.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

If you read the caution on page 94 of you operator's guide about not using oil that meets API Service SM and its impact on the clutches and examine a bottle of Amsoil Metric 100% Synthetic 10-040 you will find the Amsoil lists API SM/SG/SL/CF in that order. That being the case, if it were my Spyder I would use Mobil 1 4T 10W-40 which is API Service SH that is approved for the 2011 RS. As an alternative send Bajaron an email and ask him about using the Amsoil. In my experience I found the Mobil 1 viscosity sheared down much faster than Amsoil but the RS oil change frequency is much shorter than the 1330ACE engine so that is not an issue in your case.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

That is just it I put 2000 measly KM on the bike this summer I never hit the actual intervals. But change it out before our -30 C winters for storage. May be it is a waste but at least I know the oil is fresh and I can hop on and ride come spring.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

On my first oil changes for my 08 and 11 V-twins I switched to Full Syn ..... I was happy after I did it .... still am for my 1330 ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the confirmation guys.
    Are all your bikes the SE5 SEMI AUTO's?

Spyder Garage

I have been using Amsoil from my first oil change om my RTL!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

As long as you have the JASO MA2 designation on the oil you choose you are good to go. That designation means it is good to use on a wet clutch engine which is what all our Spyders are SE or SM. Amzoil motorcycle oil has that JASO as do many other synthetic oils. Just read the label. I use Shell Rotella T6 synthetic 10w40 in my 2012 SE5 and change it out every 4500 miles. 69,000+ so far.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

There are a number of good lubricants out there. Most any full synthetic will be superior to any blended offering. It's just the nature of the beast.

I have hundreds of customers running Amsoil 10/40, never a problem. Some with over 100k miles on their odometer.

I've been running it in my 08 since the 2nd oil change (1st one was on BRP so I took advantage of that). The 998 has a very temperamental clutch. Get the wrong oil, and it will slip. The 1330 is much more forgiving.

Whatever you choose, be absolutely sure it has a JASO rating of MA2. Anything else is going to give you clutch issues. The JASO rating is a spread, not an absolute. So, a lubricant can be just over the line, or at the top of the rating. That information is not readily available. Especially if the lubricant just barely made the cut. Amsoil is at the top of the JASO MA2 rating. I like Amsoil because it lives up to it's claims. That is the only reason I carry it. If I ever find something that consistently tests better than Amsoil, I will switch in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-18-2021 at 09:08 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...