Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    The last ride I did was a long distance highway ride, but if this really happened, then more people would have the same issue.
    I meant long distance like 100 hours operating time at the same throttle setting.
    Offer up a gram of credit to me that I can see through your dealers antics and lack of skill to correctly diagnose a problem. Your first hunch of not letting touch it was valid. The manager is likely a salesman and sold you on his best bag of lies. The tech saying it is carbon build up, seriously, are we dealing a 1935 Ford here.

I await your next report of how they repaired it, I need the laugh, and honestly believe, nothing has been repaired if they got it running. The tech simply got lucky for an instant and will go down in flames ultimately.

Why techs think everyone else is dumb and not mechanically inclined, is numbing. Having read what you work on, and knowing what I work on, and Spyders are not our day job, I find the Spyder pretty simple and typical mechanically, and even electronically. As owners, just as we are car owners, the manufacturer refuses to offer the electronic programing to accomplish updates or reflashes to the public. This is where the 1935 Ford is superior.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spoke with another spyder mechanic who said he had one that had the same problem. Customer dropped it off for maintenance.
    Two days later it wouldnt start. Carbon was causing the valves to stick open. Supposedly BRP remapped the newer bikes to prevent it from happening. Seems to me this would be a common topic here. Why did mine carbon up? Month ago i put on an Akrapovic muffler. That shouldnt do it. Other than that, its all stock and ridden the same as my 2014 with the same motor. I am at a loss. The for sale sign will go on it this weekend.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Spoke with another spyder mechanic who said he had one that had the same problem. Customer dropped it off for maintenance.
    Two days later it wouldnt start. Carbon was causing the valves to stick open. Supposedly BRP remapped the newer bikes to prevent it from happening. Seems to me this would be a common topic here. Why did mine carbon up? I used to have a bypass pipe on it. But so does everyone else. Month ago, put cat back on and switched to Akrapovic muffler. That shouldnt do it. Other than that, its all stock and ridden the same as my 2014 with the same motor. I am at a loss. The for sale sign will go on it this weekend.
    As far as I know, you are our first notification of this happening. Others will let me know if I am in error.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    As far as I know, you are our first notification of this happening. Others will let me know if I am in error.
    I'm pretty sure you are right. My B.S. meter has been pegged for some time now...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Two days later it wouldnt start. Carbon was causing the valves to stick open. Supposedly BRP remapped the newer bikes to prevent it from happening. Seems to me this would be a common topic here. Why did mine carbon up? I used to have a bypass pipe on it. But so does everyone else. Month ago, put cat back on and switched to Akrapovic muffler. That shouldnt do it. Other than that, its all stock and ridden the same as my 2014 with the same motor. I am at a loss. The for sale sign will go on it this weekend.
    Priced as a lemon, with full disclosure, I hope.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like the mapping is off to cause that. Now what would happen if you went after market and remapped yourself. Could be a sensor throwing off something causing your issue?

If that was the only problem was carbon fouling?

Spyder Garage

So are you saying you have it back and it starts and runs and you can drive it but you do not trust it?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Sounds like the mapping is off to cause that. Now what would happen if you went after market and remapped yourself. Could be a sensor throwing off something causing your issue?

If that was the only problem was carbon fouling?
    As I understand it, that was the dealer owner's best guess. Based on what? Nothing.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

My 2019 F3L shredded the oil pump gears at 5000 miles, but was able to limp home. Due to probable further damage, BRP replace the engine under warranty. Took awhile to get it back.
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

same thing happen to me plastic gears in oil pump

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brad0414 View Post
    same thing happen to me plastic gears in oil pump
    Maybe Joel's has plastic valve seats...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When I get it back, I will probably sell it or trade it in. I will not be able to trust it after someone else has worked on it.
    I find it rather curious that you have impeccable trust in the dozens of people that mindlessly slapped parts on as it was going down the assembly line, but lose all trust after ONE guy does a little bit of work on it.

I'll save you the effort of putting a sign on it, I'll offer $20, sight unseen.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    I find it rather curious that you have impeccable trust in the dozens of people that mindlessly slapped parts on as it was going down the assembly line, but lose all trust after ONE guy does a little bit of work on it.

I'll save you the effort of putting a sign on it, I'll offer $20, sight unseen.

$21

Spyder Garage

The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Just throwing this out there two things will cause carbon build up very rich or very lean so either your o2 sensor is bad or your mapping is programmed wrong if. Going to your exchast pipe if it's black it rich if it's white it lean. If rich also I would think standing behind it you would of smelled it you can also pull the spark plugs and it WILL tell you the whole story on rich or lean by reading them. Black is rich White is lean. The other thing could have happen is something in the valve train slipped or broke letting the valve and piston get to gather and bent a valve hope they get it fixed for you and its right so you can enjoy riding

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Longtimer View Post
    Just throwing this out there two things will cause carbon build up very rich or very lean so either your o2 sensor is bad or your mapping is programmed wrong if. Going to your exchast pipe if it's black it rich if it's white it lean. If rich also I would think standing behind it you would of smelled it you can also pull the spark plugs and it WILL tell you the whole story on rich or lean by reading them. Black is rich White is lean. The other thing could have happen is something in the valve train slipped or broke letting the valve and piston get to gather and bent a valve hope they get it fixed for you and its right so you can enjoy riding
    Just FWIW, unfortunately, modern pump gas is no longer an accurate way to use the old school spark plug or tailpipe color as a good method to determine richness or a lean condition. Whatever is in the gasoline these days, most times gives erroneous color indications vs how the actual FA mixture is.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Crappy gas don't help valves. Reminds me of Citco gas.

Spyder Garage

My Bad Gasoline Story......

About 6 months ago, driving my Buick Enclave back to Arizona from a great week riding the 3 wheeler in Texas Hill Country. My trike was in tow on it's trailer. Did a motel stop mid way home. Then I did something I should not have done and I know better to do. From my old boating days I have always made it a point to not be the first one to fuel up in the mornings. The idea behind that, is fuel sits overnight and any contaminates tend to settle. The first guy to fuel, pumps all the gunk that has settled overnight. Maybe an old fisherman's tale. Maybe not. Anyway, I filled the car first thing in the morning from a cheepo gas station and hit the road.

After about an hour, my check engine light came on, my power and speed were greatly reduced (limp mode?) and I was in the middle of no where. I limped to the next exit. After sitting and looking at a whole bunch of stuff I knew nothing about, the car would not start. It turned over smartly but no fire. Got towed 150 miles to a dealer. They did a fuel injector flush and treated my remaining fuel. I drove the next 200+ miles home and have not had a problem since.

It was a $700.00 lesson learned (re-learned). Bad fuel can do bad things to our high tech vehicles very quickly without warning.

The End.

Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Got it back today. All fixed. All my extras have been reinstalled. Big ride saturday to Vermont. Thank you to some great mechanics for the fast, unscheduled repair, and having to deal with me.

Spyder Garage

enquiring minds want to KNOW????????????????????? full in depth fix details???????????????????? going to trust it to VERMONT????, guess if there is another problem, it will up for sale SOO fast
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No reason to post any further details since nobody else has ever had the same issue. I will say that the problem was not caused by anything I did. The fix was fairly simple and painless. No disassembly of the motor. Runs great so far. I will give it a chance and see what happens. The dealer is still waiting for a response from BRP, but said to ride it until they respond. Waiting to see if they want to do anything further to prevent this issue in the future (i.e.- remapping).

Spyder Garage

I have deleted two postings that are argumentative in nature, and do not help with what the OP has posted about his troubles with his $30K S2S Spyder.

It's not his fault and I would also be going around and around not knowing what is going on with my new $30K machine. Let's cut him a break.

If either of the posters wishes to take the moderators to task for the deletions...they will receive a ban from the site. Both are aware of their standings, and the next level of ban will take place. Consider this a "break" and a "friendly warning."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-25-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

2012 RTL , Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I have deleted two postings that are argumentative in nature, and do not help with what the OP has posted about his troubles with his $30K S2S Spyder.

It's not his fault and I would also be going around and around not knowing what is going on with my new $30K machine. Let's cut him a break.

If either of the posters wishes to take the moderators to task for the deletions...they will receive a ban from the site. Both are aware of their standings, and the next level of ban will take place. Consider this a "break" and a "friendly warning."
    You're right of course and for my post I am sorry.

I think I was expecting after all we have gone through together on this thread that Joel would tell us how they were able to resolve the issues he was having with the bike and why he now feels confident enough in the mechanics to keep the bike. But that doesn't excuse my stupid comment.
    2014 RTL Platinum