Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

We do hope that Joel will come back and fill us in with the details.

I am speculating that the trip is to test out the repair(s) that were made. If the repaired engine does not make the trip, we should be able to hear Joel from wherever he is.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Joel, hopefully no more issues with your S2S. Seems this Spyder versus your previous Spyder has tested your patience between the electrical issue and this engine issue. Seems time to enjoy it fully, if your confidence has been restored.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    We do hope that Joel will come back and fill us in with the details.
    By Joels words, another tech apparently mentioned the stuck or carboned valves on another Spyder, plus a computer mapping change, so very likely this has possibly made it to service bulletin status, alerting dealer techs of the issue.

Hopefully the issue is few and far between, not leaving owners stranded, similar to the older DESS issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

250 miles on the S2S today and a trip to Mount Equinox in Vermont. It ran excellent!! I would almost say the best it ever has. I did change the oil at 6am this morning before the trip. Hopefully all issues with this expensive toy have been resolved. I dont need anymore stress.
    IMG_20210925_122852176_HDR.jpg242866308_10218478758432480_7046887274484854818_n.jpg
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    250 miles on the S2S today and a trip to Mount Equinox in Vermont. It ran excellent!! I would almost say the best it ever has. I did change the oil at 6am this morning before the trip. Hopefully all issues with this expensive toy have been resolved. I dont need anymore stress.
    IMG_20210925_122852176_HDR.jpg242866308_10218478758432480_7046887274484854818_n.jpg
    Joel, would you mind telling us what the techs found wrong and fixed? Thank you.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They found carbon on the valves causing no compression. 2 cylingers had zero compression and one had 30 lbs. They cleaned the carbon and now all three are nearly 200 lbs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They found carbon on the valves causing no compression. 2 cylingers had zero compression and one had 30 lbs. They cleaned the carbon and now all three are nearly 200 lbs.
    Thanks. Did they have to remove the heads for that?

Did they say what caused the carbon buildup and how to prevent it happening again?

Incidentally, I once owned a 1985 BMW 318i on which they had a recall to clean the valve ports by blasting the head with walnut shells. Interesting.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No engine disassembly like I said previously. I was extremely happy about that. The fix was simple. I will let you all theorize about the cause. I have my theory. LOL. And I have heard the mechanics theory. And I have heard from a previous tech and his theory. LOL If it acts up again, then my theory is wrong. I accidently stumbled on my theory after talking to a coworker. Needless to say, I have more questions for him. I am just glad my S2S is fixed without major surgery. That will help me to trust the machine again. I want a spyder I can ride for the next 10 years. My 2014 was extremely dependable and that is what I expect from the S2S. Im signing out on this thread! Thanks to those who provided positive ideas and encouragement. Very much appreciated!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default spyder fix

They said they cleaned the carbon. How? Removed the head? I want more answers. Mike, how is it an easy fix? The bike would not start, so you cant seafoam it. I dont believe in seafoam anyway. No fuel additive is going to instantly clean valves. Carbon build up in less than 7000 miles? No way. This spyder will be sold. I am not going to be left stranded somewhere.
    Thanks for answering Your Question ..... ie. the fix was " simple " no engine dis-assembly ie. head re-moval ....Happy you got it fixed ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Man i hope it work out for you. With my air bag issue and other stuff i have read about the s2s getting a little nervous about my investment. Fingers crossed it is fixed. If your theory proves out right and it doesnt come back can you let us know please. I wanna make sure it doenst happen to me.

Spyder Garage

No engine disassembly like I said previously. I was extremely happy about that. The fix was simple. I will let you all theorize about the cause. I have my theory. LOL. And I have heard the mechanics theory. And I have heard from a previous tech and his theory. LOL If it acts up again, then my theory is wrong. I accidently stumbled on my theory after talking to a coworker. Needless to say, I have more questions for him. I am just glad my S2S is fixed without major surgery. That will help me to trust the machine again. I want a spyder I can ride for the next 10 years. My 2014 was extremely dependable and that is what I expect from the S2S. Im signing out on this thread! Thanks to those who provided positive ideas and encouragement. Very much appreciated!!!
    Thanks for the grand finally and the little secret at the end!!! We love the suspense!! Good Luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Joel, glad to hear you're back on the road with s2s. Hope there are no more issues for you.

Ride safe!
    2022 Sea-T0-Sky

Spyder Garage

I guess I missed the FIX. Please educate me. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I guess I missed the FIX. Please educate me. Thanks.
    For sure but somehow removed carbon from valves without major disassembly as I understand it. Winner is it is FIXED & not 4sale

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    "carbon build-up " ....if that's true ( NOT ) then it's an easy fix and you have the bike next week .... good luck .... Mike
    I think you probably nailed it Mike.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

By now, the title of the topic is very misleading and demeaning to other owners.
    It is apparent the engine did not blow up. Merely seems to have suffered from old school 1950s era carbon buildup that rendered two cylinders with no compression and the other at 30 psi. Odd though, to accomplish a compression check, they must have at least gained enough access to remove all the spark plugs. Probably a shot of WD fixed her right up...

Spyder Garage

Time to close it down. Gone South to far.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red