Spyder Garage

Default Old ears are getting tired and . . .

I like the Spyder RT (16) radio and understand all the ways of getting my phone to connect and come out of the Spyder speakers. Due to hearing loss of 25 years as firearms instructor and running farm equipement, I need a way to get the Spyder speakers to either my wired, speaker earplugs or bluetooth earplugs.
    Today, at around 60mph, windy and full face helmet, open visor and earplugs to cut out the wind noise I could not pick out the words of the news on our loocal radio station, even at full volume. I had a radio on my motorcycle with no speakers, just a connection for my earplug speakers. I like the Spyder radio and ability to control it from the handlebars, just need to get the sound to the right place.
    Sorry about the long post but everyplace I have posted this, I get told how to get bluetooth from my phone to the radio. If I can get wired ear plugs to work I wouldn't care less about the built in speakers except cruising around at really slow speeds.
    Thanks for reading.
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Get a bluetooth communication set for your helmet. I have used both Cardo and Sena, and I prefer the Sena equipment
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

You have wired ear plugs now? What are they wired to? I don't really understand what equipment u are trying to use. If your current ear plugs are wired into your system then go to the set up screen and turn on headphones and you should have all the sound you can handle. If you have bluetooth earbuds then your problem is easy to solve Get a Sena SM10H bluetooth dongle and hook up wire to link it to you stereo. Motorcycle Dave has the best price on that and includes the cable. I hope I understood your problem.
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 04-21-2022 at 08:30 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

At 60 mph, road noise is going to be a big issue without in-ear headphones.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I’ve not heard of a way to send the Spyder audio to Bluetooth. I don’t think there is an aux out or headset out connection on the radio either. It’s all about sending other audio sources TO the radio. My ears are shot from farming, so I used to use wired earbuds to my iPhone. I have the XM app. Now I use the PackTalk helmet system, connected to the phone. Much better than the radio!
    2016 F3-T , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

The Spyder audio can be sent to Bluetooth using a Sena SM10H. There was one on my '14 when I got it along with the cable to plug it into the system. It's in a bag in the garage last I saw it. Motorcycle Dave has them as well.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Spyder Garage

My 2016 RT-Limited doesn't have bluetooth and I'm looking for a way to either get bluetooth or to wire in an 'audio out' port to plug in my wired ear plugs. It's looking like I'll be mounting my phone up front and using something like 'Chubby Buttons' to control it when I have gloves on and putting a charging port up front as well.
    I used wired earplugs and/or helmet speakers on my Kawasaki Nomad. As time went on I removed the speakers as wind noise overrode the speakers and as long as I was using earplugs, just as well use the speaker ones. People are under the misconception that those of us that are hard of hearing can't hear anything but for me my ears are more sensitive than ever to environmental noise but can't make out things like words, etc. While mowing or running my tractor I tried bluetooth from my phone to my worktunes ear phones but lost too much volume and pretty much gave up.
    Thanks for the advice and we'll figure out something.

(Excuse the confusion as "H'o'H' and 'Hound" are the same person on a desktop & mobile - I'll drop one shortly)
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went with the Sena SM10 from Motorcycle Dave. It has a boost feature and at times it is so loud I have to turn the volume down. If you have hearing aids I don't suggest using them. The volume then is so loud it will blur your vision.

Spyder Garage

I'd like to find a way to hardwire in, hard wire plug in ear buds. Plugging them in the ear also helps cut down some of the wind & road noise. Get the best of both worlds. Good sound and nose protection.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ask M/C Dave. He and Finless made an adapter lead for the SM10. Maybe you could put a jack in that location and hardwire it to your buds.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wingit3611 View Post
    I'd like to find a way to hardwire in, hard wire plug in ear buds. Plugging them in the ear also helps cut down some of the wind & road noise. Get the best of both worlds. Good sound and nose protection.
    Up thru 2017 the Spyder could be had with hardwire headphones as part of the CB option. If you can order the hardwire parts from BRP and find a pin out schematic then maybe you could do it that way. The plug is just a 5 pin din plug. Maybe someone here knows the wire colors for left and right headphone feed and the ground and you could make your own cord. I know of no plug and play solution to your problem.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Thanks guy's I'll check them out.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

We noticed in the owners manual the preferences meantioned headphones but nothing found in the preferences menu on the bike. Now we know why. Thanks
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

While searching for a 'no data, charge only" charging cable for my iphone, I found these from Amazon.
    "USB data blockers" that allow charging, so we'll see if it lets me charge my iphone without the Spyder radio taking over and blocking the bluetooth.
    https://www.amazon.com/PortaPow-3rd-...3F8/ref=sr_1_9
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

This thread is from last year, but...the husband and I figured out that you can use the helmet comm systems (Cardo, Sena, etc) with earbuds. Take the speakers out of your helmet and plug the earbuds into the 3.5mm jack. SO much better, less wind noise and can hear both my music and my husband talking to me over the comm unit.
    2013 RT Ltd , White with a wrap

Spyder Garage

I’ve paired up a pair of $39 WalMart over the ear earphones. They actually sound good and don’t dig into my ears.

Spyder Garage

I've tried different ways to listen to music and found the best solution is noise canceling earbuds. On my resent ride from Tuscon to Seattle had really good experience using Samsung Galaxy buds Pro. They have a low profile so was easy to put helmet on, not so easy taking it off without having the buds fall out, but that's OK because each time I stopped I'd put them back in the case for rapid charging.
    These buds last about 5 hours on a charge in noise canceling mode, by putting in the case when stopped you extends the charge all day; charge the case at night.
    I only bluetooth them to my phone and GPS, navigation voice will override.
    Best solution for me, tride sena with previous helmet and wasn't happy with sound quality.
    The noise canceling earbuds reduce road noise and allow for quality sound, and I'm able to make and receive calls with helmet on.
    Last edited by 907Guy; 04-23-2022 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Jay, Anchorage AK

2021 RT Limited, Asphalt Gray Matallic/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Default Ear Bud's

Sounds like you found a winning way to get it done. I know you just answered what I have been searching for. Tks.
    Can Am 2013 RTL SE5

Spyder Garage

Do these change function by "tapping"? If so ----- how does it work with a helmet on?? Tried to get an answer about adapting the PTT button to activate a bluetooth device but no joy there .

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Do these change function by "tapping"? If so ----- how does it work with a helmet on?? Tried to get an answer about adapting the PTT button to activate a bluetooth device but no joy there Lew L
    Unfortunately the tap function doesn't work with a helmet on, but I never really use the tap function anyways with or without the helmet on so for me it's a none issue.
    You can however Bluetooth your phone to the RT and use the handlebar controls for volume, pause, Skip and Advanced functions but find this a little busy when I Bluetooth both my phone and Garmin GPS so I just keep it simple and only Bluetooth the GPS and phone with the buds.
    Last edited by 907Guy; 04-26-2022 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Jay, Anchorage AK

2021 RT Limited, Asphalt Gray Matallic/Chrome