Spyder Garage

Default Spyder F3 Oil Filter Cap

So, I really screwed up and rounded out the nut on the oil filter cap. See the photoSpyder Cap.jpg

This was before I had gotten the 36mm 6-nut socket. I bought the socket and completed the rounding of the top. Any ideas on how to get it off? I tried the plastic oil filter strap and the strap keeps sliding. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Grab it and twist with a large pair of Channellock pliers; might not hurt to use the kind in this link, https://www.homedepot.com/p/Channell...-422/301938565. The cap is supposed to be tightened only to 18 lbft, +/- 2 lbft.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Hey...

Not familiar with that setup but it looks like there is a metal band around the body that perhaps mounts it to the bike/frame/engine.

If that is really tight, it may constrict the plastic body and prevent the top from unscrewing. Try loosening that band if you can and then trying again to remove the cap.

You could also try to file down the plastic cap sides to make a smaller "Nut" to a smaller socket size or a smoother surface for an adjustable wrench on it. Plastic should never get that tight.

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Pliers would do the trick, Loosen the metal band als would do the trick, if that all fails, drill a small hole, so that eventual vacuum can relase, be carefull for plastic bits, that may fall in the filter....

or try gently putting a small screwdriver, between cap, and cannister, to release vacuum, like opening a glass jar...
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Piratezz View Post
    Pliers would do the trick, Loosen the metal band als would do the trick, if that all fails, drill a small hole, so that eventual vacuum can relase, be carefull for plastic bits, that may fall in the filter....

or try gently putting a small screwdriver, between cap, and cannister, to release vacuum, like opening a glass jar...
    There is no vacuum holding it on. It is a vented system. It is held on by over-tightened plastic-to-plastic threads. Order a new cap and screw it off with slip-joint pliers after removing enough tupperware to get a good grip on it. But please, make sure you turn it counter-clockwise (anti-clockwise for those with British language influence). I doubt the metal band is effecting it. I fear removing the band would permit twisting the housing enough to break it off.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Channel lock or small pipe wrench. First I’ve seen of this. Plastic oil filter housing ? Sheesh !
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    ...First I’ve seen of this. Plastic oil filter housing ? Sheesh !
    Works like a champ if one uses the proper tool.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

WOW!! That's FUBAR!!

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydermech View Post
    So, I really screwed up and rounded out the nut on the oil filter cap. See the photoSpyder Cap.jpg

This was before I had gotten the 36mm 6-nut socket. I bought the socket and completed the rounding of the top. Any ideas on how to get it off? I tried the plastic oil filter strap and the strap keeps sliding. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    People smarten up. there is always a correct tool to do the job at hand. This is what happens when you don't. Of course if you got more money than you know what to do with, keep doing stupid things.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Spyder Garage

Spydermech...

Disregard some of the harsher posts... I for one would like to know how you made out. I am truly interested in finding out how you resolved it. Lots of things get "stuck" in life and your solution my help others.

Please let us know!

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    Channel lock or small pipe wrench. First I’ve seen of this. Plastic oil filter housing ? Sheesh !
    And plastic gear for the water pump also. Don't ask me how I know-----------
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow