Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Where is the Spyder's CoG?

I have bought a small cargo trailer, single axle. Does anyone know where the cg of the Spyder is so I can locate it over the trailer axle to mount the chocks?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JeffandLori View Post
    I have bought a small cargo trailer, single axle. Does anyone know where the cg of the Spyder is so I can locate it over the trailer axle to mount the chocks?
    Thanks
    The differences in weight between early V Twin Spyders, later Spyder RTs with three cylinder engines, F3s and now the newest RT models might be a concern regarding where you place your Spyder on the trailer. Typically, the balance point when jacking is about 1/3 the distance aft of the front axle, based off the wheelbase.

You may have better and safer towing if you load the Spyder, and then verify the trailers tongue weight when deciding the best position of the Spyder on your trailer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:27 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    You may have better and safer towing if you load the Spyder, and then verify the trailers tongue weight when deciding the best position of the Spyder on your trailer.
    100% correct. Weigh the tongue.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    100% correct. Weigh the tongue.
    .... use the Tongue WEIGHT to determine where to best position your Spyder annnnnnnnnnnd if you carry quite a bit of extra stuff then add that also ..... this will give you the best Spyder position for towing ............. you didn't ask, but as far as securing the Spyder to the trailer is by strapping down the tires with a ratchet strap in line with the tread ....there are lots of pics posted here that will show you how folks are doing it .... Why is this the best easiest and quickest way .... Because professional Auto haulers, who transport million dollar cars do it this way .... Mike

Spyder Garage

This is the problem with the internet and forums in particular. I asked a specific question. I know how to set up a trailer with tongue weight so it doesn't fishtail. That is not the question I asked. I am unwilling to load my Spyder in the trailer without being able to tie it down and drive it to a scale and set the tongue weight and then haul it back home. I am not that reckless. Surely as many trailer experts there are on this forum there are just as many people who have actually put chocks inside an enclosed single axle trailer. Hoping to benefit from experience of others who have done this. I have already purchased the Erickson chocks/strap kits.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:15 AM.

Spyder Garage

This is the problem with the internet and forums in particular. I asked a specific question.
    What Spyder, Model, Year, Etc? Going to make a difference. What gear do you carry in the frunk? What gear do you carry in the rear, if you have anything to carry it in?

Got small floor jack? That and a short piece of 2x4 and about 3 minutes would answer your question.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    What Spyder, Model, Year, Etc? Going to make a difference. What gear do you carry in the frunk? What gear do you carry in the rear, if you have anything to carry it in?

Got small floor jack? That and a short piece of 2x4 and about 3 minutes would answer your question.
    Ed, have a 2018 RTL. Negligible gear as I am planning on using totes e tracked to front or back sides of trailer. I have a very steep driveway and sub-division is very hilly, no flat areas. I would have to take everything somewhere flat. If I could get the cg, I would mount the chocks so I can transport it somewhere flat and see what needs to be adjusted. Hoping to not drill wrong holes in floor.

Spyder Garage

To be certain, I'd drive it to a flat area while someone else drives the truck/trailer there. When building my trailer to haul a custom GL1000, i placed the mounting rail over a pipe laid on concrete then rode the bike onto it. When it reached the balance point (I was standing astride to balance side-to-side) I had the wife mark the rail where the pipe was. Remember to put ~60% of the weight forward of the trailer axle.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Ed, have a 2018 RTL. Negligible gear as I am planning on using totes e tracked to front or back sides of trailer. I have a very steep driveway and sub-division is very hilly, no flat areas. I would have to take everything somewhere flat. If I could get the cg, I would mount the chocks so I can transport it somewhere flat and see what needs to be adjusted. Hoping to not drill wrong holes in floor.
    OK, if no one else comes up with the answer I will measure it this afternoon.

Spyder Garage

This is the problem with the internet and forums in particular. I asked a specific question. I know how to set up a trailer with tongue weight so it doesn't fishtail. That is not the question I asked. I am unwilling to load my Spyder in the trailer without being able to tie it down and drive it to a scale and set the tongue weight and then haul it back home. I am not that reckless. Surely as many trailer experts there are on this forum there are just as many people who have actually put chocks inside an enclosed single axle trailer. Hoping to benefit from experience of others who have done this. I have already purchased the Erickson chocks/strap kits.
    I won't speak for the others who answered your Post ..... but be assured I won't be answering any other questions you might have ...... your welcome ...... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

OK, if no one else comes up with the answer I will measure it this afternoon.
    Try this. Within +/- 1/4"
    7 inches v1.jpg

Spyder Garage

Try this. Within +/- 1/4"
    7 inches v1.jpg
    With fuel being 6 pounds per gallon, and the fuel tank may or may not have its balance point aligned with the point you measured, it is quite possible the amount of fuel will alter the balance point. That said, you might include an approximate amount of fuel remaining in the tank.

Myself, I remain perplexed about why not load the Spyder onto the trailer, set the parking brake, and use a bathroom scale to establish tongue weight. Simply, carefully roll the Spyder as needed into position. Without doubt, have a second person near the trailers tongue to prevent the trailer from flipping up.
    Regardles, whatever is best for the person asking is good for me, but I still do not understand why this is complicated.

Spyder Garage

With fuel being 6 pounds per gallon, and the fuel tank may or may not have its balance point aligned with the point you measured, it is quite possible the amount of fuel will alter the balance point. That said, you might include an approximate amount of fuel remaining in the tank.

Regardless, whatever is best for the person asking is good for me, but I still do not understand why this is complicated.
    I'm just hoping the thick skid plate and trailer hitch balance each other out.

Spyder Garage

With fuel being 6 pounds per gallon, and the fuel tank may or may not have its balance point aligned with the point you measured, it is quite possible the amount of fuel will alter the balance point. That said, you might include an approximate amount of fuel remaining in the tank..
    Just as a follow up, the fuel tank on a RT pre 2020 model (2015 to 2019) is located behind the balance point I referenced. Mine was at about 3/4 full. Don't know about the 2020 + or pre 2015 versions.

Would like to know if the measurement put him in the ball park or not.

Spyder Garage

Just place it over the axle of the trailer. man I’d be half way to Florida by now. I’ve never worried about weight if car or truck and trailer can hold and pull the weight then get on with it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-23-2022 at 05:38 PM. Reason: spaces

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A quick VISUAL reference for the CoG is between your toes and the back of the front wheel. Pretty much right through the vents that are in front of your feet.

Not real exact, but will get you close enough to start.

I understand your frustration in getting an answer to your simple, direct question, but you sorta have to accept that that is the way many forums work. If nothing else, take consolation in the fact that you got all those opinions in the course of just a couple of days. I have seen some questions here and on other forums that went days or weeks before the first reply happened.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the help guys. I have a lot of issues going right now as I am getting ready for vacation. Trailer was picked up last night. 2 weeks later than planned only giving me one weekend to mount all the chocks, spare tire and other things. Was a little terse to fellow members and I apologize. Where I live my driveway is so steep that I can only drive spyder up and then back down or it hits frunk. No flat road at all in my sub division. I just want to get spyder close to balancing in the trailer as I can then mount storage things to adjust afterwards.
    Rode last Saturday and the brakes got spongy, fluid was 3 years old and very dark so I had to do the flush. Front brakes inspected and need replacing with only 11,000 miles on them. All I ride is twisty back roads 2 up. Only on Interstate type highway a couple dozen times so maybe that is why. Had new tires sitting here so decided to have them put on and they scratched the living you know what out of one rim, Looks like it was dropped face down from 5 ft into gravel, all spokes mashed. Top that off I am trying to finish up some led fender turn signals. Sorry for rant but its just not going well. Bit off more than I could chew.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2021 at 07:08 AM. Reason: than... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Hi Jeff, glad you came back. I was afraid you had abandoned us. I can understand your frustration, I have put myself in the same situation too many times to count. I am not a pilot but have friends who are and if memory serves me correct they have to calculate a new CG anytime they make a change their airplane. If you have a pilot friend or if any pilots here (I know there are some) can explain the formula to you then you could maybe apply that to your Spyder and calculate a CG. You will have find a flat space in an empty parking lot to test it any way. Maybe have your wife drive car and trailer and you take Spyder, then load your Spyder make final adjustments and that should get you good. I realize this will take time which you don't seem to have, but I don't see another way given your driveway situation. Good luck and I hope things go better.
    Where are you going on your trip?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 04-15-2022 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Spaces...

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

News flash, did you know if you shoe horn a spyder RT into an enclosed 6X12 trailer and install 3 sets of Erickson chocks you can't get it back out....More to come.

Spyder Garage

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I don’t think anything that chocks in front of and behind the wheel is going to allow the Spyder enough ability to roll back over them in reverse if they are of any decent size.

With an e-track system you can loop from the floor, over the front tire, back down to the floor, through a loop and then extend rear wards before hooking to the floor again. Now you can ratchet the strap horizontally from behind the wheel making it easier to do in a confined space.

The rear you can use an e-track sideways to loop through the rear wheel and once again strap down horizontally.

It’s not too expensive stuff and you can overnight it from Amazon. I’ve used it in the past for small cars on trailers and it works great. Sometimes you can find it at harbor freight, Home Depot or lowes.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Myself, I remain perplexed about why not load the Spyder onto the trailer, set the parking brake, and use a bathroom scale to establish tongue weight. Simply, carefully roll the Spyder as needed into position. Without doubt, have a second person near the trailers tongue to prevent the trailer from flipping up.
    Regardles, whatever is best for the person asking is good for me, but I still do not understand why this is complicated.
    .... this makes the most sense .... and even if you are few inches off ... the difference at the TONGUE is going to be minimal ..... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Trailer Hauling

...I know that this is an "Old Thread".

But here goes some info about how you can get something done and safely.

1. First Find out the trailer "CG" empty.
    A open and level area is the best.

2. Load the Spyder/item(s) on your trailer.
    Check out the trailer tongue weight amount (200 - 500#).
    Remember tow vehicle capacity is very important. .
    Find "CG" for your Spyder.

3. I have used the E Tracks rails on/in my trailer.
    I use the tires to strap the Spyder in Place.
    I load the Spyder facing forward.
    Yes, I drilled holes in the floor for the screws.

4. I have hauled My Spyder this way for 1,500+ miles.
    Never had any problems.

I Hope this Helps some of you with 'CG' trailer issues.

Enjoy your Great Adventures and Stay Safe. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Jeff - you did not provide any information about your Spyder year, model etc. This forum is one of the friendliest, most knowledgeable and helpful I have ever found. I suggest you lighten up on the attitude and get yourself a Shureline tongue weight scale. You can measure your trailer's tongue weight with a floor jack in your driveway with the Spyder in the trailer. Move the Spyder as needed to get the tongue weight you want. Then locate your tie downs accordingly.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-18-2023 at 04:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WDAVEY View Post
    Jeff - you did not provide any information about your Spyder year, model etc. This forum is one of the friendliest, most knowledgeable and helpful I have ever found. I suggest you lighten up on the attitude and get yourself a Shureline tongue weight scale. You can measure your trailer's tongue weight with a floor jack in your driveway with the Spyder in the trailer. Move the Spyder as needed to get the tongue weight you want. Then locate your tie downs accordingly.
    Yep buy more stuff you will only need a couple of times during your life ..... Me ( and others here ) just use a bathroom scale ..... Mike