Spyder Garage

Default do you think this will improve antenna reception,,

i dont care if its 21 in long, i want better reception...thanks.. also says it just screws in ??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/332090270798
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-16-2021 at 05:15 AM. Reason: screws not crews! ;-)
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fredgal View Post
    i dont care if its 21 in long, i want better reception...thanks.. also says it just screws in ??
    IF your poor reception problem is due to a poor antenna or too much locktite on the thread, then it might help....

But AFAIK, very few late model Spyder Owners have actually found the poor reception problem to be due to either of those things.... . Most have found their problem is either a disconnected or crimped antenna lead; a poor earth; or something to do with the software requiring an upgrade; and there might be a few other 'non-antenna' causes that I've missed!

So you could buy one of those 21" antennae & see if it makes any difference, it certainly shouldn't hurt anything, except maybe being a minor pain in the wallet! . But seeing as how so many late model Spyders have had other causes for their poor reception issues, I wouldn't fit another antenna until all those other things had been checked & excluded!

Your call tho. Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I went down to my local O'Reilly and bought https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...niversal&pos=1. Cut off a metric bolt (6mm I think) to use as a mounting stud. Covered the bottom with shrink tubing and fuel hose to fill out to the fender grommet. Greatly improved my reception, although it still isn't as good as my other vehicles (even the old '2001 S-10). At least it made the radio useable. I had already scraped Locktite and inspected the cable connector. This is on a 2021 RTL, I think produced in February.

Just a real-world experience, no expert theory other than the 31" antenna was standard on many cars until the shark fin became popular. It does swing around a bit at speed, but I don't notice it unless I glance at it in the mirror.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

If you are familiar with utilizing the accessory function for the radio, accomplish this simple test. With the Spyder running, place the Spyder in gear, roll forward a foot or two, then set the parking brake. With the Spyder still running, select a nearby radio station capable of good reception. Note the quality of the reception.
    Making no other changes, stop the engine from running and select accessory function to keep the radio operating on the same station.

The goal of this very simple test is to verify if the Spyder is generating noise that the radio is picking up. Typically, LED headlights, or LED lights in general are very noisy and diminish sound quality from the Spyders radio.
    If while running, reception is poor, but reception improves with only the radio operating in accessory mode, that antenna will be no improvement. Not that this matters, our Spyder has been using a similar, replacement car antenna. Full length and in that similar 21” length.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe you should think about adding XM radio, I have been because of losing radio station signal all the time. I have gotten spoiled by having XM radio in my car and truck and being able to drive 1000 or more miles and never lose the radio station. Just a thought.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I think the answer is pretty simple. If all other components are functioning correctly, this antenna should definitely boost your reception. If it does not, then you have a bottle neck somewhere between the antenna and the radio.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 09-16-2021 at 04:42 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I run xm on my phone and bluetooth it in. I'm also hooked on it.

Spyder Garage

i use my MP3 player now, would be nice to get a couple local radio stations...

i also asked is this just an easy swap out, unscrew OEM and screw in new aftermarket one,, thanks,,,
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's

Spyder Garage

i also asked is this just an easy swap out, unscrew OEM and screw in new aftermarket one,, thanks,,,
    On my '21 RTL it was fairly easy, but of course involved removal of tupperware and filling out the diameter until it filled the grommet in the fender so water wouldn't get in. Mine came with a bunch of adapters. None fit of course. Cutting the head off of a bolt to make a mounting stud was easy.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I think the answer is pretty simple. If all other components are functioning correctly, this antenna should definitely boost your reception. If it does not, then you have a bottle neck somewhere between the antenna and the radio.
    Or if it is anything like the other hardware or options on the Spyder it's a really crappy radio. My wife and I were test driving a brand new RT and compared the radio feature on my Sena 50r to the RT radio. The quality of the Sena radio function beat the RT as far as reception.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, swapping is as simple as you worded it, provided the oem thread lock releases easily.
    I still stand by my first reply to verify if the Spyder is generating electrical noise the destroys radio reception as your goal is wanting to receive local stations. If the Spyder electrical system is the cause, even a 21 foot vs 21 inch, vs stock, antenna will not help.
    All the best, however you decide your solution.

Spyder Garage

Hi,
    I have a similar issue with radio reception. Did you replace the stock antenna with the 21" whip from antennasource.com? If you did, did the reception improve? Even a good radio with an inadequate antenna will perform poorly. I sent a message to another fella on this forum who list a Hi-Gain antenna as one of his improvements to see if it helped and where did he buy it.
    Thanks,
    Jim