Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What do you guys think of this Labor cost for changing tires?

I checked with a local dealer today about remounting my front tires on custom rims for my 2018 RT Limited. He quoted a price of like $425.00 + tax for the labor alone. That sounds a little steep to me. What do you guys think. If I were looking at say new tires it would be $650.00 + tax for labor alone plus the cost of three tires. Does that sound like it's in the right ball park?
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I checked with a local dealer today about remounting my front tires on custom rims for my 2018 RT Limited. He quoted a price of like $425.00 + tax for the labor alone. That sounds a little steep to me. What do you guys think. If I were looking at say new tires it would be $650.00 + tax for labor alone plus the cost of three tires. Does that sound like it's in the right ball park?
    No. Just go to an auto tire shop. It's a simple job on the fronts.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

at least you can take off the 2 front tires I would think, and take them to Discount tire, Walmart, NTB, or others that can change the fronts. If you can take off the rear, not that bad, just need some tools, and a little forum knowledge to look over how the easy way to get belt off without moving rear adjusters, save even more money. Would help to know if your dealer or next available dealer will mount a car tire in place of the Kenda, after all the are car "J" type rims
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

$425 for front tire mount on new wheels for labor alone! You're dealer is out of his mind!!!!! Mount and balance labor should be about $30.00 +/- per wheel..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    $425 for front tire mount on new wheels for labor alone! You're dealer is out of his mind!!!!! Mount and balance labor should be about $30.00 +/- per wheel..... Jim
    ..... But I have it done for $15.00 per wheel including " spin balancing " ..... I only balance the fronts, the rear rarely needs balancing .... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any tire shop can mount the tires its getting them balanced as they may not have a small enough cone for the wheel. That's why I bought my own cone and bring it with me to get them balanced. I do take the wheels off too. Even at
    Over 400 bucks is way to high.

Spyder Garage

I just paid $39.00 for putting new tires on the front yesterday. I supplied the tires.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

Mark each wheel with side and direction of rotation and take them to a tire shop or Walmart.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires installed- Fronts only - Costs

Anything more than $15.00 to $25.00 per front tire installed is a 'Big Rip Off'.

Discount Tire will do it for these prices.

You will need to remove your wheels/tires from your Spyder. They will install your own tires on your wheels.
    Some can do wheel balancing. Ask them if you want to have them balanced.

Then mount the wheels onto your Spyder.

Job done and ready to Ryde........
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

To remove two front wheels, remove the rear wheel, swap all three tires from original rims to aftermarket (or different Spyder model) rims, balance all three and reinstall. The $425 seems fair. In the $425 you have, shop supplies etc., guessing shop rate is $125 per hour, so seems about right.

Others are posting much lower prices. Certainly that is possible, but in those cases, you are doing the majority of the labor yourself. Then driving around, waiting, hoping it was balanced correctly, then you need to put it back together. All this work by you assumes you have the tools, capability, work area and knowledge to accomplish the task. If the dealer does it, you not only get the ability of them ensuring no damage or issues, simply, you do not get dirty.

Spyder Garage

Ask that dealer what kind of gun he uses and where he hides it during his highway robbery scheme and then run as fast as you can to where Woodaddict suggests.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

and that's why I call them Stealerships!

I asked them to set the pre-load on my new Ryker before I picked her up. Mind you this is nothing more than 4 clicks with a spanner wrench. They wanted $200. I told them to pound sand. It cost me $15 on Amazon for a spanner.
    2021 , generic

Spyder Garage

The OP stated only the front wheels were being swapped.
    It takes all of about 5 minutes to remove both front wheels from the Spyder.
    Changing each tire will take, at most, 10 minutes each.
    Balancing may take 5 minutes each.
    Re-mounting both wheels on Spyder takes 5 minutes.

Do the math! Or I'll help you out: That's less than 1 HOUR LABOR for any competent tech (or backyard mechanic)!

That guy doesn't want your business and is scaring you away. Time to move on.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Same as above. I purchased my 2 front tires online from tire rack. ($178) Had them installed for $30 total ( that’s for both). $4 per tire disposal fee on top so $38 total. They were also balanced. Netzley tire did mine. So total price was $178 + $38! You’re not buying tires so you should only pay $40-$50 tops for both in my opinion for they might charge to take off and put back on. Most won’t though. Your quote is outrageously high.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    To remove two front wheels, remove the rear wheel, swap all three tires from original rims to aftermarket (or different Spyder model) rims, balance all three and reinstall. The $425 seems fair. In the $425 you have, shop supplies etc., guessing shop rate is $125 per hour, so seems about right.
    The $425.00 price was just the front wheels. They told me the rear wheel alone was rated at a 3 1/2 hour job.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

Rear tire bought at tire rack was $98 and my total install was $80. They took rear off bike, removed old, installed new, reassemble wheel. 3.5 hours NO WAY! Rear and front combined is an hour if you have the 36mm good good 1/2” stuff and lifts. Its really a no brainer. He’s taking you for a ride!

Spyder Garage

The dealer is now an official "stealership."

The price quote for the labor is out of line. They are trying to scare you off with the labor. Looks to me like they don't want to work on your bike, even though it is a profit center to perform maintenance and labor on a bike.

The fronts are nothing and should be about $50 apiece for labor to install. Three and a half hours for the rear...I would ask them to show you that one in the job service cost manual they are using.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The $425.00 price was just the front wheels. They told me the rear wheel alone was rated at a 3 1/2 hour job.
    If that was the price for just the front, then bend over and grab your ankles!! Take them off yourself and take them to a tire shop, like so may other people have said, will be a LOT cheaper!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

When I bought my 2013 RTL last year it still had the Kenda's on all around. I bought car tires myself and checked with a local shop to see about them installing all three. I had a busy schedule at the time and they quoted $270 out the door...this seemed reasonable since I did not have the time to do it myself. In the future I will just take the tires to Discount Tires and let them do their thing. $425 seems wayyyy over the top. I remove my front wheels to clean all the time and it takes about 5 minutes...there are only three lug nuts on each....

Spyder Garage

I think you get the point but this will make everyone laugh a bit (Truthfully this is why this forum is good at times. You do get to confirm others experiences so you’re not taken like in this experience)………If the front tire labor was $425 and it takes 3-4 times longer to do the rear, than that’s $1275 for the rear. That’s only labor so add 3 tires at lets say $100 a piece. That’s $2000 for tires and install! 425 +1275+300 Now that’s Funny stuff there! I think my truck muddier mickey Dees tires are looking better everyday at $1100 total Wonder if I could put them on my spyder?

Spyder Garage

In that case, run fast and far as your dealer is likely worthless and greedy, plus the staff is questionable also.

Oh well, you saved yourself, but no doubt another victim is right behind you.

Typically this site does not allow negative comments about dealers, so with that share what you learned as you travel.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    In that case, run fast and far as your dealer is likely worthless and greedy, plus the staff is questionable also.

Oh well, you saved yourself, but no doubt another victim is right behind you.

Typically this site does not allow negative comments about dealers, so with that share what you learned as you travel.
    Negative comments about dealers can and do happen here. Sometimes, it gets out of hand or the comments could bring a lawsuit. That is when the moderators step in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Negative comments about dealers can and do happen here. Sometimes, it gets out of hand or the comments could bring a lawsuit. That is when the moderators step in.
    Seeing the original poster is from Washington, hopefully his dealer is not where Shawn S works...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Any tire shop can mount the tires its getting them balanced as they may not have a small enough cone for the wheel. That's why I bought my own cone and bring it with me to get them balanced. I do take the wheels off too. Even at
    Over 400 bucks is way to high.
    Please more info on size & where you found cone. Thanks in advance

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In my business, if I don't want to do the job for whatever reason, I'm upfront with the customer and tell them why and thanks for asking but I rather not do the work. If they pressure me to do the work and insist on a bid then I give them a ridiculously high bid like gkamer got. And to top it off, I've had a customer say, Ok do it! And now I'm stuck and I've got the job. Dam, LOL. From now on I just refuse the work period.