Spyder Garage

Default Tapping an ignition-on hot wire for relay — again?!

Greetings

I've scoured the forum. Really. I have. Many have asked the same or similar question. The answers don't seem to address my situation. So I'm being redundant in hope of getting a simple, clear, solution.

First, my bike is a 2015 ST Limited. There's no trunk, just the frunk.

Second, I'm wiring in heated gear and a voltmeter/USB charger (in the switch panel). I have wired a relay feeding a fuse block and routed the wires from outside the frunk to their appropriate location, tested everything and all's well.

The problem? I STILL haven't found a wire near the frunk that is hot when the ignition is on to trigger the relay.

I have a factory manual and I've gone cross-eyed trying to follow wires. What I need is a wire near the front left of the bike that I can tap. Specific location and color would be the source of much delight. ("Use the LED wire on the driving light circuit" might well work, but not if I'm clueless as to where that wire is. And, as you know by now, I'm clueless.) Anyone have a clue or three to offer?

I'm aware of the danger of making CanBus sit up and take notice. The current draw is almost nil, since it's just telling the relay to wake up. Anyway, if you've read this far, you know what I'm after. If you're still awake after reading this saga (I do tend to run on a bit...) I'm grateful for any specific direction you might give, remembering it's not an RT or an F3 and it's not yesterday's model.

Thanks, all.
    Forgot to mention that the 12 volt accessory wiring on the frunk is not attached/working. Previous owner didn't have the dealer install that, I guess. I really don't want to remove the frunk to get to that accessory plug/wire/whatever it is.
    Last edited by Columbia; 09-15-2021 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Ooops.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most of the time folks use the headlight hot lead as the relay trigger.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Thanks, U-P. I'll try to find that in manual and on bike.
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

OK. I'm stumped. Where to begin finding that headlight wire? The manual I have lacks section numbers and page numbers. I taught technical writing and I can't navigate that thing.
    I'm about ready to start drilling holes in the fuse boxes and tap into fuse 6 on the left side.
    Sorry to ask such basic questions, but the spyder is more complex than any of the four bikes I owned and worked on.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    OK. I'm stumped. Where to begin finding that headlight wire? The manual I have lacks section numbers and page numbers. I taught technical writing and I can't navigate that thing.
    I'm about ready to start drilling holes in the fuse boxes and tap into fuse 6 on the left side.
    Sorry to ask such basic questions, but the spyder is more complex than any of the four bikes I owned and worked on.
    Most folks tap into the headlight power wire (NOT the hi/lo shutter wire) in the harness right behind the headlight. Sorry, but I have no idea how familiar and comfortable you are removing panels and other bits from the Spyder.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

OK. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Update
    My solution wasn't elegant, but I made things work. Found the wiring diagrams in the manuals I purchased to be bare bones. Using Honda factory manuals has spoiled me. But all's well, if ugly, and, most importantly, all works without a hitch.
    Thanks for the assistance.

Spyder Garage

Update
    My solution wasn't elegant, but I made things work. Found the wiring diagrams in the manuals I purchased to be bare bones. Using Honda factory manuals has spoiled me. But all's well, if ugly, and, most importantly, all works without a hitch.
    Thanks for the assistance.
    Please what wire did you use?
    Thanks

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I used an "Add a Circuit" adapter into fuse number 6? 7? on the fuse box to the driver's left (right when you're standing looking at the Spyder from the front). I had to use a couple of bulkhead connectors to pass the wire through both the fuse box cover and the fuse box cover cover. Then another pass through to the area outside the frunk under the two black triangle covers revealed when the frunk door is open.
    It would have been better to attach as suggested above, but I wasn't able to locate the necessary wire. So it's a kludge involving the fuse box covers, but, as I said, it works just fine and it's rare that I'll need to remove the frunk liner and expose the wiring, but if I have to get to the fuses, it's easy and obvious.
    I suspect in a while I will grow more familiar with all things Spyder, but I was under pressure to get the accessory fuse box installed for a trip, and all the suggestions assumed greater knowledge/experience on my part, so I did what I know how to do.
    I suspect that my choice and method will be criticized. Fair enough, I guess, but you work with what you have and what you know, so I'm content.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used an "Add a Circuit" adapter into fuse number 6? 7? on the fuse box to the driver's left (right when you're standing looking at the Spyder from the front). I had to use a couple of bulkhead connectors to pass the wire through both the fuse box cover and the fuse box cover cover. Then another pass through to the area outside the frunk under the two black triangle covers revealed when the frunk door is open.
    It would have been better to attach as suggested above, but I wasn't able to locate the necessary wire. So it's a kludge involving the fuse box covers, but, as I said, it works just fine and it's rare that I'll need to remove the frunk liner and expose the wiring, but if I have to get to the fuses, it's easy and obvious.
    I suspect in a while I will grow more familiar with all things Spyder, but I was under pressure to get the accessory fuse box installed for a trip, and all the suggestions assumed greater knowledge/experience on my part, so I did what I know how to do.
    I suspect that my choice and method will be criticized. Fair enough, I guess, but you work with what you have and what you know, so I'm content.
    Good workaround.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Good workaround.
    can tidy up proper or excessive OCD when have more time (& color label zip ties )

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

BfromLa

Yeah. Perhaps. My OCD isn't too excessive and I'd rather ride than wash or label or ---

Spyder Garage

BfromLa

Yeah. Perhaps. My OCD isn't too excessive and I'd rather ride than wash or label or ---

42C6CEB8-EF30-4977-A24D-1EE3E21569BF.jpeg

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

That's great! OCD/ADD: terrific! thanks!

Spyder Garage

I have CDO.
    That's the same as OCD with the letters in the correct alphabetical order.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey