Spyder Garage

Default Trailer hitch requirements

Are there special requirements for a hitch for my 2016 F3T? What's the best place to buy a hitch and wire harness? I'm getting ready to bite the bullet and buy a camper (used)! This is scary stuff!

Spyder Garage

The best option is the Can Am hitch which comes with the correct wire harness. It is probably the most expensive one though. Aftermarket options are available, but I am aware of people that have had wiring nightmares. This is a CANBUS system that does not like to have it's wires messed with.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Bought the hitch and wiring harness for my wife's F3L from www.canamspyderaccessories.com. You can buy the harness in 4 wire or 5 wire configuration, depending on what your trailer needs. Easy installation.
    2017 TriGlide

2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Purple/Black

Spyder Garage

Same here I recommend canamspyderaccessories.com Both the hitch and wiring are plug and play.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check the FS section you may get a good deal too?

Spyder Garage

My dealer quoted $200 to install an after market hitch, but they quoted around $600 for a CanAM hitch and I think that was just for the hitch (I have to check for sure on line). My question is, can any reputable bike mechanic do the install as I am not mechanically literate?
    Also, thanks to all of you who answered. I got my mini mate home and just need a hitch now.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Installing the factory hitch is pretty easy. The Harness is a bit more but can all be done yourself. MAybe you and a Neighbor can make it happen.

The BRP hitch is more expensive but also comes with the control module. And is back with the factory warranty.

https://instructions.brp.com/content...1093,219401095

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    My dealer quoted $200 to install an after market hitch, but they quoted around $600 for a CanAM hitch and I think that was just for the hitch (I have to check for sure on line). My question is, can any reputable bike mechanic do the install as I am not mechanically literate?
    Also, thanks to all of you who answered. I got my mini mate home and just need a hitch now.
    I installed the aftermarket one from canamspyderacessories. The installation was easy and did not require rear tire removal. I did one on my 2014 RT and on my 2016 F3T.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Please note that if you use the CanAm trailer hitch kit, you may have to reset the 'Hyperflash' that will occur with the indicators. (Not sure about other brand kits) On my 2016 F3L, when the trailer is connected, the flash rate speeds up a lot. After resetting the hyperflash all works well... until the trailer is removed at which point the hyperflash returns and has to be reset again.

I cured this by making up a dummy plug that goes in the socket to simulate the presence of the trailer. Now I don't have to reset the Hyperflash when I fit the trailer.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

Thank you all so much for your help. I haven't decided yet what to do, but nothing will happen until spring probably. Thanks again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would go with Jetfixer's advice, a factory hitch and wiring installed by a reputable dealer. There's a lot of action that occurs on a spyder's trailer hitch caused by uneven road surface conditions. That's because it's attached directly to the rear axle and swingarm, not the frame. Check out the construction of an aftermarket hitch compared to a factory hitch and it should become obvious as to why the factory hitch is built such as it is. It was constructed to withstand prolonged abuse caused by continual vibration. Research this site and you'll find at least one post with photos showing a failed aftermarket hitch. I could be wrong, but it looked to me to be a weld failure on a canamspyderaccessories hitch.