Spyder Garage

Default After ideas on Locations for GoPro Camera?

I am trying to get some ideas for mounting a GoPro camera on my 2014 RT Limited. I have a mount on my helmet in front of chin, but can't tell when it is actually on or not, because I can't see the light or the screen mounted on helmet. Also always seem to get file error on camera alot, and when I stop to look at footage, it had previously quit recording. If you guys and gals have some suggestions or pictures of where you temporarily mount yours, it would be helpful.
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

My camera is mounted out front below the screen. It's a Garmin VIRB so I control it thru my Zumo 595. The only downside is the bugs.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used a TricLED dash bracket which comes with plastic mounting balls similar to RAM. (I replaced with RAM ones, they're rubber and hold better)

I used a GoPro mount buckle stuck to the bracket and used a flat head screw to make sure it stays put.

AE6972F7-FA1E-415F-8CE7-790B8A24DF56_1_201_a.jpg E06C33E0-2A43-4FC2-8B5A-B30188BC26E2.jpg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

I use the suction cup mount. I can mount it on the dash behind the windscreen, on the frunk hood or even on the windscreen (Depends on which windscreen you have, has to have a flat surface big enough to attach.)

I use the GoPro Remote to start and stop the camera. I also tether the camera, so if the suction cup lets go, the camera stays attached to the bike. Once I figured out how to attach the suction cup, it has never come off. It is important to have a flat, clean surface to attach. If there is just a light coat of dust the suction cup will not hold. So clean the surface and the suction cup.

The GoPro phone app works, but if you ride with gloves, controlling the camera via the touch screen may not work. I have gloves that are supposed to work with the phones screen, but they don't always work.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

How do you get the suction cup to stay on surface above dash behind windshield? That surface is grainy and not smooth (on RT)
    2014 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - Pearl White
    2010 Can Am Spyder RT - Full Moon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    I am trying to get some ideas for mounting a GoPro camera on my 2014 RT Limited. I have a mount on my helmet in front of chin, but can't tell when it is actually on or not, because I can't see the light or the screen mounted on helmet. Also always seem to get file error on camera alot, and when I stop to look at footage, it had previously quit recording. If you guys and gals have some suggestions or pictures of where you temporarily mount yours, it would be helpful.
    Are you aware that JT previously offered an inexpensive accessory mount for the glaresheild. It uses Ram balls or fasteners through the holes. Allows a multitude of possibilities of camera angles. If using the GoPro for recording as a witness if you are involved in a crash, best to get two GoPros, one front and one rear.

https://spyderstore.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=51

Spyder Garage

The Youtube channel Itchy Boots uses the chin mount a lot. She gets very good video. Her web site lists all of her gear.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

I have a F3 and the dash is smooth plastic. I use a helmet mount a lot also. If you can find a flat area on the windscreen that works too.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

I put this mounting bracket on the dash...

https://spyderstore.com/index.php?ro...&product_id=51

DM-2 Installed-500x500.jpg

and use Ram Mounts to support the GoPro.
    My vice is passion for KISS.
    Oh, and food.

Current ride: 2019 Spyder RT-L in Phoenix Orange.

2019 RT-L , Phoenix Metallic Orange

Spyder Garage

Here’s what I use for videos. Nice because I can move it around for following shots or different view shots. Was originally used for an iPad in a Cessna, so had to modify it a little.

2D5A5C61-46A1-403D-97E8-EB2E3F5328A5.jpeg
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

If it makes any difference I have both a GoPro and an ion pro. I prefer the ion pro as it mounts to the side of my helmet and takes up very little room. I also can reach up and turned it off and on without looking at any controls

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveandBelinda View Post
    Like you, I use a chin mount on my helmet to mount my Go Pro Hero 5 Black. And like you I could never tell if my camera was recording or not. So I purchased this Go Pro Remote control. It connects through the cameras built in WiFi. Once it’s connected, pressing the round button (I put the white sticker on it to make it easier for me to see) starts the camera recording. There is a red LED that blinks on and off to indicate the camera is recording. Pressing the button again stops the Record function.

The little LED screen displays what mode your camera is in, video, photo or burst mode. In order to mount it properly on my handle bars which are too wide for a standard handle bar mount, I cut a long, thin strip of Velcro and ran it through the strap openings on the remote as shown in the photo. Pulling the Velcro tightly, it holds it nice and snug to the handle bars.

remote.jpg
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I have the GoPro Session. It is mounted on a bracket behind the windshield. It is pre-configured and activated by pressing the top button to turn on and off. For me, it's an easy solution for video taping my rides. I just need to keep the windshield clean in the center.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I used a TricLED dash bracket which comes with plastic mounting balls similar to RAM. (I replaced with RAM ones, they're rubber and hold better)

I used a GoPro mount buckle stuck to the bracket and used a flat head screw to make sure it stays put.

AE6972F7-FA1E-415F-8CE7-790B8A24DF56_1_201_a.jpg E06C33E0-2A43-4FC2-8B5A-B30188BC26E2.jpg
    Very similar to the setup I have on mine....I don't find the shooting through the windshield causes any significant distortion either.

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station