Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Full Helmet Hate It Riding.

I try to ride with a full helmet,but feels like claustrophobia when I wear it.I use a half helmet now, I want to get over that feeling because I hate all that wind blowing after I get up to sixty mph and above in my face.Anyone else have that problem with a full helmet?

Spyder Garage

Have you tried a 3/4 with a full visor. Still get some wind and nothing in front of face but clear visor. Would not make you feel so enclosed. Some have sun visor so raise the front shield all the way up and no wind on the eyes. Just a though
    Attached Images Attached Images

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

What brand of f/f do you have? I have 6+ 1 open face. Helmets ARE NOT created equally...IMHO

Spyder Garage

They also make a full face what I call Ironman or Japanese style. Complete visor infront
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

I ride with a full face modular helmet, have been for the last 20 years. It just takes time getting use to them, some more so than others. I'm in Florida so I almost always ride with the shield up for air flow and I wear shooter or safety sun glasses for eye protection, the breeze in the helmet feels good and it really helps with that claustrophobic feeling. Also with a modular, when coming to a stop you can always flip the chin bar up for relief or when taking a drink. I too have a few helmets, three full face and three Bell 3/4 Custom 500 helmets, and nothing will beat that open air feeling that they and 1/2 helmets offer. But if you like your face like I do, you'll eventually learn to like the full face helmets because they offer much better protection. You do eventually get use to them.
    2020 Can Am Ryker Rally Sport Touring Edition

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    They also make a full face what I call Ironman or Japanese style. Complete visor infront
    What brand/model is that?

Spyder Garage

Speed & Strength makes a 3/4 with a removable chin bar. The shield covers your entire face, including the chin even without the chin bar. I use it when riding local where speeds are <60 mph. Above those speeds, I use my modular for a quieter (and safer) experience.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Have you tried a 3/4 with a full visor. Still get some wind and nothing in front of face but clear visor. Would not make you feel so enclosed. Some have sun visor so raise the front shield all the way up and no wind on the eyes. Just a though
    Looks like the helmet we are currently wearing...ours has the communicators attached. Bell Magnum/Sena They work fine for us. No safety speeches from me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Its all about the helmet fitting right and being comfortable. If its not both of those things then it wont be effective on saving your head nor will you want to wear it.

I have the fortune of living near a big motorcycle shop and pre-covid i got to try on a bunch of helmets to see what fit well.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I currently use a half helmet 90% of the time. I also have a 3/4 that I wear if it is raining. Approximately 20 years ago I was talked into getting a full face, and I hated it. Wore it for about 6 months and went back to my 3/4. 10 years ago I switched to a half helmet and that’s what I’ve been using exclusively ever since. My current helmet is the Cavalry by Sena. As for the breeze in my face ......... highway speeds and no problems riding my ‘14 RTS with my windshield at its lowest. Wind therapy is the BEST!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    What brand of f/f do you have? I have 6+ 1 open face. Helmets ARE NOT created equally...IMHO
    I have a Scorpion EXO-R420.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    What brand/model is that?
    There’s all kinds. Look at crotch rocket sellers. I think that one was a shoui.

Spyder Garage

The wife an I have that helmet they r great. just got the sena that fits in the openings fit like a glove ver happy with the hole set up.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-23-2022 at 05:42 PM. Reason: space .

Spyder Garage

Half helmet + F4 windshield. Problem solved

Spyder Garage

I don't feel claustrophobic, but I like the option of riding with full face when it is cold or rainy, but prefer something less when it is warm. I opted for a Shark Evo One. Best of both worlds. I have had this helmet for 3 years and have done many trips spanning several thousand miles each. It has worked very well. When the time comes I will buy another one, unless something better is available when the time comes.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

I am new to Spyders and for the most part motorcycle riding in general. I don't feel claustrophobic with my full face helmet (Arai Quantum X- have a round head) but that could be due to proper fitment and due to adequate venting of the helmet. Some helmets just don't have the right air intake or exhaust. You might try a modular and see if that helps. If you are an intermediate oval head shape the Shoei can't be beat for modulars.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I could never get used to the modular, it's a 3/4 with tinted shield for me. We all have our preferences.

Spyder Garage

As a last resort, you might think about buying a The Hat Jack cowboy hat stretcher. Stretch the locations you think are causing the problem and see if it works. It certainly is much less expensive than buying a new helmet and you see if it works with one overnight stretch of the padding. Use them all the time on my Western hats

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please understand that a Half, so called helmet, is not a helmet at all. It's nothing more than a make believe Wan-a-be helmet for the .....er....ah......Less informed. Don't fool yourself if you think you are getting any protection at all.

I personally use a hi quality, well fitting either modular (Flip up) or 3/4 helmet. Either Schuberth , Arai or Shoei. Make sure that they are on the snug side when first trying them on.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

I suspect those wearing 1/2 helmets have never experienced a get-off. Unfortunately, I have 2 modular helmets with significant scratches ON THE CHIN and ON the right LOWER SIDE from 2-wheelers. I doubt I'd still be riding today (or be as handsome as I am) if I was wearing a 1/2 lid. I get it. Some feel closed in and some just wear the 1/2 to meet the legal statutes.
    To each his own. We all take risks when we ride but I try to mitigate those by wearing ATGATT and minimum 3/4, full shield lids.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just to add another 2 pennies.......I’m finding that this discussion is bordering on a full blown HEATED discussion on a a very touchy subject. Too much preaching!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

As much as I like the look of full faced helmets, I personally cannot stand wearing anything over my ears, it feels like confinement. I am not a hat wearing individual.

So I opted for a 1/2 helmet. I like the openess, the unobscured view, and ability to hear my surroundings clearly. I have no problem with wind with my windshield fully extended up. Even in rain my helmet works great.

May not be the best fit for some, we all have our opinion, but its perfect for myself. Just enjoy your ryde!

2014 RTS Pearl White
    2014 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

If you like the helmet you currently have but want to get rid of the wind, I'd try a windshield as others have recommended. The wind can literally beat you up on longer rider and tire you out. They also help to keep you a little bit warmer on chilly days. So you might get a couple of extra benefits besides not having the wind in your face anymore. Good luck on your search for something that works for you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjarcy View Post
    If you like the helmet you currently have but want to get rid of the wind, I'd try a windshield as others have recommended. The wind can literally beat you up on longer rider and tire you out. They also help to keep you a little bit warmer on chilly days. So you might get a couple of extra benefits besides not having the wind in your face anymore. Good luck on your search for something that works for you.
    Another little trick you can try with your current helmet is to put it on and wear it around the house. You might find that you get used to the sensation without the distractions of riding.
    2019 Ryler Rally , Shock Yellow

Spyder Garage

Don't know much about the helmet itself, but it says it has grooves for glasses
    https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...iABEgJUNvD_BwE

and someone just posted earlier that they are selling a used 1